sigmark

C160 is injured

sigmark

My C160 has been running beautifully for over a year now after the install of a new carb {thanks to some help here}.  However today, while in reverse trying to unclog WAY TOO much dried grass that had got under the front end, I loss steering on the left side.  Attached is a scan from manual highlighting the piece, best image I can find at the moment.  Is this the Tie Rod? (highlighted in yellow)  It doesnt seem broke, but figured it is worn a bit over the years and got pushed off at the ball joint.  Does this 'pop' back on?  Hammer, replace? ideas and thoughts.  Thanks.

tie rod.jpg

• Like 1

Shynon

Tie rod ball end is worn out, probably need a new one, go to the vendors section. wheelhorseman1000 makes replacements.

• Like 7

N3PUY

Take off the complete tierod .... insert the ball back into the hole .... hold the rod with the OK end on the floor .... now hammer the loose end with a hammer ... this will egg-shape the hole and retain the ball.    You're good for another few years!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Hammer it until the ball is snug.

• Like 3

Jeff R.

Another option is to put it back together and take some mechanics wire and lace it around the tie rod and the steering ball a few times.  This fix will also last you several years.  Ask me how I know this.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I clamp mine in a vice.  Then use a center punch to peen the socket tight around the ball.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

elliot ness
4 hours ago, N3PUY said:

Take off the complete tierod .... insert the ball back into the hole .... hold the rod with the OK end on the floor .... now hammer the loose end with a hammer ... this will egg-shape the hole and retain the ball.    You're good for another few years!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Hammer it until the ball is snug.

Been there and done that same hammer trick and it is still together a year later    :greetings-clappingyellow:                                                                                          

• Like 1

Don1977

Hammering them back is just a temporary fix.  I got tired of them coming apart and fix mine. That as 27 years ago haven't had any come apart.

Imgp1311.jpg

• Like 5

Wheel-N-It

I like how you think Don !

• Like 1

sigmark

I will try to pop back on and see how its goes from there.  Its the first time coming off and there was quite a load pushing on it ( :roll: )  .  Would there be more of a load on while in reverse too, correct?  So, go forward :P .  How much for the part?  Thanks all.

• Like 1

UncleBubs73

Mine came apart and took one off a parts tractor. 10 years newer and it popped out too after a short time. I put the ball back in the socket and used a wire feed welder to "run a bead" around the socket. Have to hold the heat away from the ball so it doesn't stick it. Go slow! The bead is more like long zaps and then wiggle the ball. File it off and looks good.

doc724

Stens has them for $28.  The quick fix ideas may work in a pinch, but I don't agree with them.  I agree with Don 1977 and Wheel-N-it, an injury or accident is not worth the $28 you saved.

• Like 2

Buckshot1

:greetings-clappingyellow: Go to Mcmaster-Carr. All different, shapes, sizes, of ball joints.  An a he77 of a lot cheaper than 28$. :flags-waveusa:

Edited by Buckshot1