SylvanLakeWH

Headlight Ground Issue?

SylvanLakeWH

Hey all...

My 1982 C-105 headlights were not working (tail lights fine). So I tipped the hood to check it out and they go on and off as I raise / lower the hood - in several places. Keeping hood tipped to where the lights are on and jiggling wires does nothing so I'm thinking ground issue? I get an occasional light spark at the hinge when I raise / lower it.

Looks like the ground goes through hinge to frame?

Not an electrical guy so thoughts, ideas and directions (dumbed down) much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!IMG_0840.JPG

jdleach

If it is anything like the 3, 4, and 500 series tractors, and I am sure it is, there should be a black ground wire with crimped ring terminals at either end. This wire is the hood ground strap, and has one end attached to one of the engine mounting bolts, the other end attaches to one of the hood hinge bolts. If the wire is missing, make up a new one and install it at the locations mentioned. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Do the same for the connections at the headlamps.

If there is any corrosion at any connection, clean it thoroughly. To reduce the chances of corrosion occurring again, apply a small amount of Vaseline to all connections before you re-attach/bolt them down. Vaseline is basically dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is used extensively in automobiles, boats, etc. in light sockets, plugs, or wherever moisture may cause corrosion.

Edited by jdleach

SylvanLakeWH

Thanks for the reply.

No ground wire attached to the hinge bolts or engine. Only one I see is on the headlight mounting plate shown in picture.

The lights worked great with this configuration until today.

Wiring diagram does not appear to show a ground like you describe. Should there be one? Or should I add one?

squonk

Those flat hoods flop all over. My C-145 had the same issue. Just ad a ground wire.

jdleach

Like squonk says, add one, will permanently cure the problem. Trying to ground through the hinge is not good engineering.

SylvanLakeWH

Great - Thanks to both of you!

N3PUY

I looked at 7 Wheel Horses and only one of them has a hood ground wire.   (and that one doesn't even have lights).

Here's a pic of the one that does.  Hood hinge bolt to motor mount.

IMG_0814 (600x800).jpg

• Like 1

N3PUY

ground wire from the stud between the lights to the frame or motor mount.

IMG_0840.thumb.JPG.aac3c409bbfeea76549a41be335c2904 (1).JPG

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

THANK YOU!

I appreciate the details!!!

I know what to do!

pfrederi

Put a disconnect in the new ground wire.  Makes removing the hood easier/faster.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

SUCCESS!

Thank You for the help!

Ground to frame added and lights work like a charm!!!

• Like 1

squonk

Without a good ground, Well you problems are ungrounded. :)

You'd be amazed what a bad ground can do to an electrical system on just about anything. :banana-wrench:elec.jpg electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

pfrederi

you can trust your mother but not your ground

• Like 1

jdleach

I am glad your issues are now resolved.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why WH put such care into the construction of their machines, and then leave something out such as a ground wire.

When I looked at my tractor, I assumed that all models that had headlights were properly grounded. My wire is definitely factory, with properly crimped ring terminals at each end, and a wire clip on the bottom edge of the hood to keep the wire from getting snagged or pinched. A proper job of it.

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
19 minutes ago, jdleach said:

I am glad your issues are now resolved.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why WH put such care into the construction of their machines, and then leave something out such as a ground wire.

When I looked at my tractor, I assumed that all models that had headlights were properly grounded. My wire is definitely factory, with properly crimped ring terminals at each end, and a wire clip on the bottom edge of the hood to keep the wire from getting snagged or pinched. A proper job of it.

Me too!

I wrapped the new ground wire around the positive so it would stay clear of the hinges...Poor design I agree...

Tuneup

1980 C-125 here and adding the lights. Measured the impedance from ground bolt at the lamp mount to the battery (-) of 52 ohms. Added the ground lead and the lamps are bright! Many thanks!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

1980 C-125 here and adding the lights. Measured the impedance from ground bolt at the lamp mount to the battery (-) of 52 ohms. Added the ground lead and the lamps are bright! Many thanks!

That's why I love this forum. I like using my tractor - not fixing it! These guys not only know their stuff but they are so generous with both their knowledge and time to write / photograph / draw easy to understand fixes...It really is amazing...

:bow-blue: