Sign in to follow this  
Tom Bartlett

New to Wheel Horses

Tom Bartlett

Hello All,

First time poster here. I've been lurking for several weeks now before posting...mostly to find out what kind of Wheel Horse I had acquired. After attending several tractor shows this past summer and fall, I started searching for an early Wheel Horse to restore. I loved the look of the smaller round hood models, so I found this (I think) 1961 Suburban 551 complete with mower deck! The engine is free (but no compression--I think maybe a stuck valve) and the electric starter spins fast. Anyway, after several days of scrubbing and cleaning, I have decided first just to rebuild the engine. I am going to try to see if I can upload a picture. Still having fun in retirement, Tom Bartlett

BeforeRestorationRightSideSmall.jpg

pond195520032003

Hi Tom and :party: first it looks like you already mastered the picture posting thing :omg: also you are correct that your tractor is a 1961 suburban 551 :D it has a 5.5 lauson engine with recoil and electric start as you already know :hide: looks like it might have had the hl head light kit at one time :D (holes in hood) any, very nice tractor and looks like the only things missing are the exhaust heat shield and the battery :hide: again :party:

p/s. is the white wire a battery cable running to the tool box :party: the battery is supposed to be mounted in the area under the exhaust (square area in between hood supports) transmission works wonders Fluid on stuck valves :omg:

TJ

Nice tractor. :hide:

WheelHorse_of_course

:D Tom,

Nice horse. I agree, get the engine working, change the trans fluid and you have a working tractor (restored to working condition). You'd be surprised ho wmuch work you can do with these!

Later you can worry about restoring for aesthetic purposes :hide:

:omg: :hide:

T-Mo

Tom,

:hide: I'm glad you found the site - nice, first Wheel Horse you got there.

stevinator

Welcome ,you'll enjoy this website and restoring the tractor.I am on my first one myself. :hide:

bell

:hide:

KyBlue

:hide: :omg: Youve gotten some really cool Advice, and I think the only thing I can add... thats a really nice WH to start with :hide: :D

Teddy da Bear

:hide:

Tom Bartlett? There used to be a "Tommy Bartlett Stunt show" that toured

the country. Stunt driving and jumping cars at fairs. Or was that a water-stunt show

at the Wisconsin Dells?

Nice tractor! Keep on posting your progress.

Coadster32

Let me jump on the wagon here... :hide: I also am working on restoring two 551s. I was plowing with one of them all hacked up, and it worked great. Awesome little tractor. Good luck.

Suburban 550

:D Tom. Nice looking little tractor. Good luck with the restoration. :hide:

joebob

:hide: nice tractor, I wish mine was that nice when I started my restore, again :D and you will have fun with it for sure

Tom Bartlett

Thanks for the welcome, fellows. I quickly found that reading this forum would lead me to the answers for most of my questions, and also much inspiration. My name is similar (but no relationship) to the "Tommy Bartlett" entertainment shows of the 40s and 50s. Great site and great information.

Tom

Coadster32

Hey Tom, I can scan the manual I have and e-mail it to you if interested. It is the parts list, and operational manual for the 401,551,and701. They say that you can get them from a yahoo group, but I haven't explored that yet. Just send me a message (PM) with your address. Good luck either way. :hide: