grinchsr

Lawn Cart Mfg

grinchsr

Just picked up this cart and I want to verify that it truly is a Wheel Horse and was Ohio Steel making them for WH as the paper shows.  I was given that paper with the trailer.  It is rusty but no holes in it.

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Edited by grinchsr
  • Like 4

Racer5x

Awesome! 

DennisThornton

I know nothing, but I seriously doubt that WH setup a plant to make carts when they could have an existing cart company produce one for them.  Just because another plant produced it doesn't mean that it is just a clone of something else with a different color and name.  WH was big enough to have "their own version" produced elsewhere.  My WH branded cart is better than the other carts I have, but honestly there might be an Ohio Steel Fab just like it.  I don't know...

But yours is very much like my WH cart and a very nice cart I might add!

• Like 1

grinchsr

Thanks Dennis      You are correct when you said that the WH carts are better.  This cart is super heavy duty and built like a tank. They still make a Model 3460   I am going to call Ohio Steel later and try to verify their connection with WH.  I will post any info I get.

• Like 2

doc724

Nice find.  Ohio Steel must have made them for Sears as well-like early 80's.  Mine is identical in construction as grinchsr's but only 10 cubic feet capacity.  Very heavy duty.  Mine has lots of dents in the bottom from hauling tons of rocks I pulled from the yard.  I have been looking for another one like it (doesn't have to be WH) but no success.  Everything today is thin gauge and will be trash in a few years and there is not much around from the early 80's in good shape

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Yes, Ohio Steel made some carts for Wheel Horse. Wheel Horse had many (if not most) of their attachments made by subcontracted vendors that were then branded as Wheel Horse and given Wheel Horse ID tags and serial numbers.  Things like plows and cultivators were made by both Brinly and Ohio Steel over the years. Lawn Sweepers were made by Parker and Lambert... Heck in the 80s they even had a sidewalk edger made by McLane.

• Like 4

grinchsr

Thank You for all that very useful info.  I certainly got my questions answered.  Now I have to decide what I want to do with it.

wrightorchid

What is the difference in the gauge of the steel used between the old and the newer carts?  They don't make this style of cart any more.