seven

Electro 12 poor compression

seven

It's not starting turns over kinda slow has poor spark and now I just found it only has 25 pounds compression.i put new piston and rings in it 2 years ago and it has always ran fine?

pfrederi

The automatic compression release makes compression tests invalid.  You need to do a leak down test.  Turning over slow?  that would indicate you have an electrical problem (is your starter feed directly from the ignition switch e.g heavy wires from switch to starter??) or weak battery.  Electros had different ignition systems over time what do you have

• Like 2

seven

It's got the heavy wires to key switch which was also put in new a couple years ago. Maybe it's just a week battery it says it has like 13 volts though?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Check the connections for any corrosion. Is that voltage with the engine off or when it is running. I you don't have a battery load tester What does the voltage drop to when it is cranking.  On weak spark, what kind of ignition system do you have? Is there a triangular shaped coil bolted to the air shroud or a round coil mounted someplace?

• Like 1

seven

It drops off to 8 volts when cranking.i don't see any coil the sparkplug wire goes rite into the flywheel 

pfrederi

A good battery should hold 9 volts when cranking.  Yours sounds weak.  From your description you have a magneto ignition system which uses points.  Have you check them?

Mag3.JPG

Mag2.JPG

mag1.JPG

• Like 2

seven

OK thxs I Will get new battery for starters then set points 

• Like 1

TDF5G

Sounds like poor/corroded connections or weak battery.  

seven

New battery did it. Still    no spark cleaned points then it started  its been sitting  in barn to long

• Like 3

oldredrider

Seven, glad you got it back up and running. Also very happy you posted what you did to get there. It's important to give follow up so others can learn. Thanks

• Like 2

TDF5G
36 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Seven, glad you got it back up and running. Also very happy you posted what you did to get there. It's important to give follow up so others can learn. Thanks

:text-yeahthat:

Agreed.  Some posts are like watching a good movie but then there is no ending!

• Like 2