Sign in to follow this  
tigwelder

Restoration

tigwelder

My son and I just picked up two C-81 tractors. Taking inventory, documenting information and planning for restoration. Plans are for my son to use one to mow his three acres. The second tractor we haven't decided it's future yet, maybe look into pulling. Have to repair mower deck and get one of the engines running during this Winter. Lots of items to check out --deck bearings, engine rebuild, correct paint, trans gears condition ect. We are very receptive to any ideas or experience about rebuilding/restoring.

Buzz

Sounds like you're going to have fun this winter. Here's a couple of manuals to get you started. First the Kohler service manual:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

Next the Kohler owners manual:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resour...s_593_f_all.pdf

Now you didn't say what your model number was but if you go to this Toro site and put in 81-08K801 for model number and "riding mower" for product type you can download several helpful manuals. Here's the link:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

With everyone busy with Christmas you might not get many replies over the next couple of days but help will come. Good luck.

kpinnc

Both of your tractors should have the heavy-duty 8 speed tranny with 1 and 1/8th axles in them. The B-60, B-80 8 speeds and C-81 and C-85s had them, even though they had only an 8 hp engine or less in the case of the B-60. Point being? Unless someone did something REALLY awful with one, chances are you've got a "under used" tranny on both machines. Obviously a plus!

Kohler K181 engines (also what you'll have on both tractors) are great little engines as well. Also a big plus, IMO.

And don't let the 8hp fool you. With it tied into that transmission, you'll be surprised what it'll do. Not the most horsepower for large mower decks, but as far as pulling power goes, they shouldn't disappoint.

Good luck!

Kevin

Duff

Tigwelder, our manners are sorely lacking!

:D

Glad you found us, and sounds like you've got some great projects ahead of you! :omg:

One thing you'll quickly find out about this place if you haven't already is :omg: !

Keep us posted, ask questions freely, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Again, :hide: !

Duff :hide:

refracman

Tigwelder :hide:

Like the guys said its a nice one to restore I did one over the summer. I used Valspar International Havester red which is a great match to Wheel horse red. I got at tractor supply.

And dont be afraid to ask them questions, this is a real freindly forum and a LOT of good guys willing to help out.

heres a before and after pic on the one i did.

Good luck and have Merry Christmas

018-1.jpg

003-6.jpg

Teddy da Bear

:hide:

I passed on a C-81 this spring.....guy wanted too much for it in bad condition.

Nice looking tractor "before" Refrac!

KyBlue

:hide: :D:hide: :omg:

Michael Bullington

Welcome to Red square! :hide::D :horseplay:

Heres a couple of things I can think of right all the top of my head..

1.) Do the engine first...put it back on the tractor and test and tune before the tractor is painted. Remove all fuel or use stablizer and store engine.

2.) When painting any rod shafts that have items that slide over them..try to leave these items on the tractor while painting...example...Foot rest, clutch pedals...any type of collar sleeves for steering etc.. I have detroyed the paint attaching these items after painting.

3.) Decals..Be cautious of who you buy from (ebay)...sometimes they are not like the originals.

4.) Paint the wheels after the tires have been placed on the rims (deflated) Place rags or paper to cover tire.

5.) Take lots of pictures along the way! You'll be glad you did after its all done!

Good luck

Michael

Duff

Welcome to Red square! :D:hide: :horseplay:

Heres a couple of things I can think of right all the top of my head..

1.) Do the engine first...put it back on the tractor and test and tune before the tractor is painted. Remove all fuel or use stablizer and store engine.

2.) When painting any rod shafts that have items that slide over them..try to leave these items on the tractor while painting...example...Foot rest, clutch pedals...any type of collar sleeves for steering etc.. I have detroyed the paint attaching these items after painting.

3.) Decals..Be cautious of who you buy from (ebay)...sometimes they are not like the originals.

4.) Paint the wheels after the tires have been placed on the rims (deflated) Place rags or paper to cover tire.

5.) Take lots of pictures along the way! You'll be glad you did after its all done!

Good luck

Michael

What Michael said, very well, I might add!

Also, ref. decals, we have a member here who makes excellent reproductions and works very hard on their accuracy - Vinylguy52.

Happy Holidays!

Duff :hide:

TJ

:hide:

WheelHorse_of_course

Tig

:D

There is a lot of coverage of these items on the site, plus plenty of help when you need it.

And remember, there is nothing wrong with a "working tractor" that hasn't been "restored" but merely made mechanically sound.

:hide: :hide:

tigwelder

THANK YOU to everyone for the information on restoring. I have decided enough with the snow already, pulling my 5th wheel to Florida for the rest of the Winter.(Play some Golf ) My son is working on one of the Kohler K-181 engines while I'm gone. No doubt he will get it running before I return. One of the engines and a mower deck is the main objective this winter. Going to be a busy 2009, with the two C-81, I also have a Cub Cadet 126 that I will be working on some of the time. Later we will be looking for a dozer blade and another mower deck. Bye Bye snow