ohiofarmer

Proper way to post "heads up" on for sale finds?

ohiofarmer

As a newer member, I would like to know how to inform you guys on local advertising finds that may be of interest. Wheel horse ads do not last long in my area, but I found two that show promise this morning. In trying to keep the WHA in check, I would at least help out my fellow members, but the ad site here seems to prohibit that.

Just trying to play by the rules...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Post it up in the classifeds...cut & paste picts if included...  

then, have anyone interested, PM you for the link to the advertisement.

• Like 1

CasualObserver
3 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Wheel horse ads do not last long in my area,

You answered your own question... no need to promote them.  They take care of themselves.

On this site we don't promote "heads up" type posts. You can do as Craig has suggested, but I would discourage making yourself the middle-man, especially in a transaction you have no vested interest in. 

There have been several times in the past when a member posted up a "heads up" that another member was already working a deal on, then by the time that member went to pick up their machine, the price had gone up because some other "helpful" member had let the seller know it was rare or being sold too cheap, or the item had been sold out from under them because the seller took another faster/better offer.  Most times being helpful, is often more unhelpful. So, we just choose not to promote it.

We are all here, obviously we know how to use a computer. We found our way to the forum, we can (and probably are) already searching ebay and/or craigslist if looking to buy. Nevermind the fact that neither Craigslist nor ebay pays us or you to advertise for them. 

• Like 6

Terry M

Thanks Jason, I was just starting to type out my thoughts, but you beat me to it.  

I hope I don't "tick-off" anybody....But I don't see a reason to give a " heads up" on everything Thats  advertised for sale out on the internet ( no sarcasm intended).   As some people may know,  This hobby is getting very competitive . And, I myself often scan the internet for WH related things and will drive the distance to buy it if I want it bad enough... and when I'm eyeing something on a site, then someone posts on RS and says "Hey, look whats for sale in MN, IL,or Chicago!!" , it pretty much wrecks any chance I had of maybe getting the item.  And I'd be willing to bet lots of people will agree with me.

What I really am trying to say is to just let people do the work themselves in finding stuff.....Please.

Sorry, just had to say this.   

• Like 6

ohiofarmer

Well, thanks for the input. Now I can remain the well loved member of this forum [ :huh: ] you are all accustomed to instead of committing a faux pas..

• Like 2