Wishin4a416

Big Rattler

Wishin4a416

The Daughter and S.I.L. and a group are in the Mtns. this weekend for the 100 mile yardsale and she sent me a picture of this Timber Rattler.

IMG_0519.PNG

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

Yikes!

:-o

Ed Kennell

Nice... Where was this?     We only have those nasty little copper snakes here in York Co., But on our 3K acre lease in Cameron Co., we have an excellent population of the more sociable

big timber rattleheads.    Really keeps the blood circulating when you hear 2 or 3 rattlers buzzing while spring turkey hunting.

If I remember, the 100mile yard sale is in Cameron.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Especially, in close proximity...you can hear them...but can't see them.   :scared-yipes:

Sparky

I'm no snake expert but that one looks like it just ate!

Mike....

Wishin4a416
26 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nice... Where was this?     We only have those nasty little copper snakes here in York Co., But on our 3K acre lease in Cameron Co., we have an excellent population of the more sociable

big timber rattleheads.    Really keeps the blood circulating when you hear 2 or 3 rattlers buzzing while spring turkey hunting.

If I remember, the 100mile yard sale is in Cameron.

The 100 mile yard sale is in Elk, Cameron and Clearfield counties I believe Ed. They are staying at Parker Dam so this was nearby I assume. I have a Camp very near Driftwood near Tom Mix's birthplace.

DougC

I hear snake venom antidote is big time expensive and most insurance companies won't cover it....... If you live long enough to make it to the hospital!  

• Like 1

Wishin4a416
6 minutes ago, DougC said:

I hear snake venom antidote is big time expensive and most insurance companies won't cover it....... If you live long enough to make it to the hospital!  

A young fellow died last Summer in this area from a Rattler bite. I remember it in the news because He was from the Pittsburgh area.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Not meaning to hijack the thread . Two weeks ago a woman was leaving her office opened the door to exit the building. She was bite on the foot by a baby copperhead. Spent some days in the hospital . Her foot is still puffed up like a balloon. Has not been able to work since the bite. The company has refused to pay her anything, the building management company is refusing to help her out, but they have had the building sprayed for snakes. Her claim was denied  by Workman's Comp. This all happened in the city.  

So make sure your wear shoes than completely cover your feet.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah Jack, I thought I saw the 100 mile yard sale signs when I was up north for spring turkey .    My lease is on the Steam Mill Run watershed just East of Emporium.     The landowner is very adamant about not disturbing his pet rattlers.  Although we accidently kill 3-4 every year when we do the  spring tilling and planting of our food plots.

I'm not surprised by your report Jim.  Those little copperheads are nasty and don't give a warning like the rattlers.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here is a pic of a shed skin I noticed after I hooked up the brush hog and pulled away to mow last year. 

I was able to moisten the dry skin, lay it out , and pin it to cardboard to dry.  I then glued it to a board with spray contact cement.

And yes, that is a 12" ruler.   He was well fed with a 7" girth and 46" length.

IMG_6184.JPG

• Like 4

953 nut

Tractor for sale, has slight rattle..jpg

• Like 7

19richie66

This one was in my backyard. I almost stepped on it while going to the shed for tools. After that, everything in my yard looked like a snake. Wife laughed. I almost pooped myself.

IMG_1862.JPG

This is the only Diamondback I have killed in my yard. I have killed several pygmy rattlers and caught one very long coral snake.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3