scotty

Wheel horse 416h hydro trouble

scotty

I bought this 416h and the hydro is seeming to slip up hill. And goes slow and then fast. Is this a sign of a bad eaton 1100? Ive tried adjusting the linkages and nothing has helped.

doc724

In my experience it could be a lot of things.  Wrong belt (too long), worn belt, low fluid, friction washer not adjusted properly, excess friction in the teeter totter pivots, and finally yes, a worn out hydro pump.  I would start with the cheap things first.  I have an early Eaton 1100 in the C125 I am restoring.  It has a similar behavior, but so did one in my 1996 416H.  On the C125, I found that the belt was for an 8-speed, way to long for a hydro.  Changed the belt and it appears to be better.  On the 416-H I removed the column control and put in Matt's foot pedal-problem solved.

• Like 3

pfrederi

Does it speed up a lot going down hill also??? is the issue worse after it gets heated up?

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

scotty

It seemed to want to go faster down hill. It didnt seem to get any worse the hotter it got though. Im a little worried about it because it bought it not running and the fan was broken on it so im thinking theres a possibilty it might have been overheated. I did put a new drive belt on it and it didnt help anything. It almost stops going up hills.

953 nut

The first step in diagnosing any Hydro problem is to change the oil and filter. Do you have a hydraulic lift on it? If so, is it working well when the trans. is slowing down? If the lift is good, the pump is good.

• Like 1

scotty

I will have to check that out. I havent changed the oil or filter on it so far i wanted to make sure it was good before i went and changed it. The tractor has 1170 hours on it hard to believe and eaton 1100 could be bad with that few hours

scotty

The hydro lift does work when it starts "slipping"

• Like 1

rmaynard

I am in agreement with those that suggest changing the oil and filter first. 10W40 and a new NAPA filter is a reasonably inexpensive test.

• Like 3

squonk

On this unit  the pump and motor are in the same housing. I would change the oil  and clean the fins. If no improvement  e bay is a good source for another hydro

• Like 2

scotty

Ive been using 10w-30 in my eaton 1100s. Should i be using 10-40? Ill have to grab the filter and oil once i get a chance.

pfrederi

Do you have pressure gauge?   The manual initial test is to get her warmed up thean tie her to an immovable object  with the rear wheels on cement or asphalt.  She should be able to spin the rear wheels with you on her.  If not  then a pressure test would be in order.  If she fails that then ....

I doubt 10-30 vs 10-40 would make a huge difference especially before they got hot.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1494-transmission-hydro-eaton-11-sm-492-4205pdf/

test.JPG

• Like 2

scotty

No improvement. I tried the hydro test and it did not even try to spin the tires. All it would do was sit there and whine. Now i think im going to have to figure out what i want to do with it. Thinking about putting the 16 hp onan on another frame with a gear drive.

pfrederi

I wouldn't spend a lot on oil and filter yet as it may be a sick hydro.  is the oil discolored or burned smelling.?  sorry I know a bit about renovating tired sundstrands but i have little knowlege of Eatons.  I guess parts are available but more than i care to spend.

scotty

Oil seems fine almost like someone changed it not to long ago.

rmaynard

Make sure that the filter is a hydro filter and not just an oil filter. Toro 79-5270 or equivalent (NAPA 1410).

• Like 1

scotty

An oil and filter change did not help it. I guess the pump is bad.

scotty

Just letting everyone know what the issue was. I noticed when took it up a really steep hill i could hear the belt slipping after i changed the oil and filter. I must have put the wrong belt on. I put a 5/8 x 83 napa belt and the hydro is as strong as could be.

• Like 4

Blairman85
On 7/16/2016 at 3:45 PM, rmaynard said:

I am in agreement with those that suggest changing the oil and filter first. 10W40 and a new NAPA filter is a reasonably inexpensive test.

I was mowing with mine the other day I didn't realize it but I was leaking fluid it was all over the ground and when I started to go up the hill it started making a chattering noise I backed down not realizing the loss of fluid and decided to go across the yard back up to my shed to work on it but it wouldn't even make it up the hill I then parked it saw all the lines of oil in the yard I've got her pulled apart the drive belt seems to be fine but there is oil all over the place I'm not sure if I'm leaking it from a hydraulic line or if my transmission is cracked

kpinnc
On 7/16/2016 at 2:21 PM, 953 nut said:

is it working well when the trans. is slowing down? If the lift is good, the pump is good.

The charge pump and drive pump on the Eaton 1100 are seperate, just mounted in a coaxial orientation. Aside from sharing a sump and driven shaft, they are completely independent circuits. One can possibly be bad without affecting the other- at least for a period of time depending on how cruddy the oil gets.