CasualObserver

Dealer List

MikesRJ
IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.3e77e77e283041c1c37d9
  • Like 2

WHX??

Got time for another story?
Back in 1987 when I got my 1067 I soon needed parts. I found a weld shop in Ripon, WI called D & D Welding who also had sold Wheel Horses. The guys that ran the shop were real old & old school and when I went in for blades & tie rods one of the guys said he could repair the tie rod ends and weld up new lift bends on my old blades. These guys were obviously more repair the old than sell new parts. He told me he probaly had the parts but was not going to look for them but I was welcome to as he pointed his knarled finger towards the parts room. So off I go .......well the parts room was a couple of dimly lit long isles filled to the brim with all kinds of WH parts in bins, bags & boxes. Trouble was nothin was inventoried or organized. These guys didn't know what a microfische was no less than a computer!  After an hour of looking in these bins, bags & boxes I found nothing i needed. I do remember a bin overflowing with 1533 bearings tho! Parts for everything WH, still in orginal packages! I had heard the tax man went there once looking for their sales records and they threated to hook him up to a welder.
I didn't go ther much after that as I did't want them cobbling up my old girl any more...too much of that done already!

Afew short years later both guys died and the whole place went up for auction. Still wonder what happened to all those parts they had but not as much as wondering where all those RJ's, Suburbans Lawn Rangers ect. they must have sold are now.....awaiting new life as a barn find??? :eusa-think:

I did find another Toro/power equipment dealer in Oshkosh, WI  called TP (Total Power)  sales so I started going there. Helpful guys who thought I was nuts for messing with a 1967 tractor  so  they were more interested in selling me a new tractor rather then helping me keeping Old Red alive. Can't blame them and I sure did drool over them 300/400/500 series on the floor with all the shiney red goodies & attachments. Sucked back then as a young kid trying to start a family with no money! They are still in business but took on something else after Toro killed WH. :deadhorse:

• Like 4

Rob.A.700

B & B service in Gloversville NY is still open... I need to stop in there or Emericks for some parts

• Like 3

AMC RULES
Next time you stop in...    :handgestures-salute:
let 'em know, that ol'  
:wh: C-175 they sold back in 1983...
is still out there making it happen.  
:handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_1144.JPG.2030107c0aa15f8509f0617c725IMG_3140.JPG.77112d7d15982898fe04e4efde4IMG_1145.JPG.5a9547f1d9cdbe72474ff66c4cb Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

JVDWheelHorse

I was going to submit Metzler Mower in Strasburg Pa but that's already on here :) My grandfather has quite a few wheel horses from Metzler Mower. I can get a picture of the service tags on the mowers if you would like to see them.

• Like 1

glenn27

What an awesome thread here...
Thanks!
But I didn't see  any for Virginia--and I know there were quite a few here
---My friend in fact was a W/Horse dealer up around Appomatox in 1970's.:greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow:and still a wealth of info and memories!

glenn

• Like 1

Red Horse

Weinmann's Garden Center  Wayne , N.J.  up to about 2000    John McDaniel & Sons   Mocksville, N.C. long gone

• Like 1

Thor27

Lindstrom Greenhouse, in Lindstrom, Mn. is apparently where my 80 C-105 came from. 

0909151908a.jpg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Stopped by Manus Power Motors in Royal Oak, Michigan the other day. The staff got a kick out of being on this list. Great talking with a couple 30+ year staff folks about the quality of WH and how the industry has changed...

Good times... Thanks so much for pulling this list together.

• Like 1

1045tq

I'm kinda surprised at how many dealers there were, but there aren't many listed in Minnesota, and none in Wisconsin. been trying to find an old dealer that might have some rear wheel weight laying around, for my 416h

bob's toy

The very first Wheel Horse I saw was at the Lowe's in Bryan Texas back in 1986. I wanted it so bad but due to funds was unable to make the deal..After all these years I found one I again fell for..I have a 1267 that I began to tear completely down for a frame up restoration. I guess being down here in Texas we didn't see a lot of them for sale anywhere but what sold me was the way they are built to work, and LAST.

• Like 1

mikekot3

I don't know if this dealer is listed or not but I buy a lot of parts from Boyden and Perron Amherst ma

rick

Here are two dealers to add - My first Wheel Horse, a 1989 310-8, was bought at Pohlig's Inc, in Mechanicsville, VA. by the PO. My C100 was sold by Shanaberger & Sons, in Farmville, VA. 

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.19f77ccea9fdfff39f7df Sadly, Shanaberger and Sons is no longer in business. The Shanaberger's sold the business to a younger owner, who tried to run it as what I call a city type big business. Of course, in a rural Virginia area, that did not go over well! The building is now occupied by a financial management business. I tried to call Pohlig's just now, and the listing was no longer in service.

IMG_0156.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

rick

here is the dealer tag on the 414-8 roller I have. I don't know anything about these folks.

IMG_0188.JPG

• Like 1

rick

Here is one more, on a 414-8 roller:IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.f3e03f1687515008cf611

AMC RULES

IMG_5032.thumb.JPG.53e607f1d24a53e299b5f

• Like 1

Coop

My grandad purchased the 1965 655 from Kell's Hardware in Lexington,Ohio     that i still have and recently got running again.   Still in business .

Edited by Coop
  • Like 1

Amcwheel85

Idk if this dealer has been posted yet but this is on my new A-81 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

squonk

I think there are a couple of Knapps on here. :handgestures-thumbupright:

ztnoo

Bill's Gasoline Engine Repair Service

37th and The Bypass

Marion, IN 46952

Bill Tool was the owner of this shop started in 1955. Bill is deceased, but his youngest daughter now owns the business.

Linda Beal, the daughter, tells me her dad became a Wheel Horse dealer in 1956.

They lived in a house which was in front of the shop to the west and the property bordered Indiana St. Rds. 9 & 37 as they passed through Marion before splitting up on the north side of town several miles away.

She said her dad made several additions to the property as time went on because of increased business and customer traffic. They were all concrete block construction, to reduce the fire risk, I would assume, because of dealing with running engines and flammable fuels abounding on the property. As a little girl she says she clearly remembers having Wheel Horse tractors all over the place and had a couple of areas where new inventory was floor planed. She said the place was absolutely crazy busy during the 50s and 60s, and her dad was running 110% all the time and had some very long hours daily, especially during mowing season.

The daughter, Linda Beal, started working with her dad in 1972, about five years after graduating from high school because he was having some very serious heart issues at the time, and just couldn't quite cope with things like he previously could. She was behind me one year in high school. My dad bought a snowblower there (a Yardman Snowbird which I still have) which the shop has worked on various times since 1981. I've also bought parts and supplies there on occasions over the years. She no longer floor plans new models of any make or brand. She told me it just became harder to deal with manufacturers over the years with more and more capital outlay being required to carry equipment lines. At the same time, over the last 30 years or so, our county has lost significant population and three major manufacturing concerns closed shop and left town........Thomson TV (originally RCA, and before that Farnsworth Radio), Dana, major maker of automotive driveline components, and Foster-Forbes, a glass bottle plant. The local economic pie got significantly smaller and she adjusted by only doing repair work and selling lots of parts. Unfortunately, she said her dad never had a Wheel Horse sign or banner with his business name on it, but says he definitely moved lots of WH tractors and parts over the years.

The shop is about 8-9 miles away from me. I can still buy 16" (48" deck) double D blades from her, because she has a source for them. She won't tell me her source and who manufacturers them, but I am thankful I still have a place close by because I still have an old style center drive spindle that requires the three hole blade with the double D center hole. She still has some NOS Wheel Horse parts and a considerable inventory of NOS Clinton, Tecumseh, and Briggs engine parts. She's managed to figure out what works for her and how to survive (doing repair on just about anything gasoline engine, lawn tractor, mowing, and snowblower related) and keep the business alive that her dad started over 60 years ago. She's been at it 44 years herself, and she knows the parts business very well. If you other Hoosiers are looking for something in particular in the way of WH parts and older engine parts, chances are she just might have at least some of what you need.

If you need and are looking for some of the things I have described, I'd suggest giving her a call. The business card info is in the last pic below.

IMG_0627a.jpg  IMG_0628a.jpg

IMG_0630a.jpg54354_Public.jpg  Bill's Engine.jpg

Reference on double D, three hole,16" blades: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/62496-double-d-style-blades-advice/#comment-585531

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 5

barngem

My father and I owned Barnhart Sales and Service in Groveport, Ohio, Wheelhorse dealers 1968-1975.

• Like 2

TDF5G
2 hours ago, barngem said:

My father and I owned Barnhart Sales and Service in Groveport, Ohio, Wheelhorse dealers 1968-1975.

:wwp:

CasualObserver

Thanks for all the latest contributions guys! I've had to add a few states since my last update, we've now touched Texas, Wisconsin (surprised we hadn't had that before) and now, Utah! I previously had them in the distributor list at the top, but they were also a retailer.  

boydmartin_UTAH.jpg

Keep'em coming!!! :thumbs: 

• Like 3

Mark Monroe

Just adding another dealer to the list. Decker Small Engines 20 North 11th St. Terre Haute, Indiana. Worked there while going to college. Big dealer also a distributor for Lawh Boy, Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh, Wisc. and supplied Wheel Horse parts to other area Wheel Horse dealers including Scotty's in Haubstadt/Evansville area.

• Like 1

AlwaysLookin80

Terpstras sales and service, in business since 1943. Griffith Indiana 

• Like 1