buffaloman

double D style Blades advice?

buffaloman

So I couldn't find any 16" double D style blades. so finally I ended up buying a set 0f 16" blades with only a 3/4" center hole and I match drilled the two pin holes and they seem to fit perfectly, with clearance . Any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea? My only hesitation is I posted about mower blades a few weeks ago and nobody replied with some kinda bush fix. I don't want to start up the mower and have sparks flying ! :) 

Don1977

That should work, it will depend on the roll pins to keep it from turning with out the Double D hole. It's been a while since I used the Double D..

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 1

ztnoo

I've had problems locating these 16" blades in the past myself.

I have one original spindle (the center drive) of my deck (either a 5-1482 or a 5-1483) on my 1969 GT 14 (1-7441). When the deck was new it had all three spindles the same (8139), however the outer two spindles got replaced sometime before I bought the tractor/deck some 35 years ago. The blade required for that spindle had the double D center hole, and the two 1/4" holes spaced 1 5/8" apart, center to center. The two smaller holes accept 1/4" roll pins inserted into the spindle hub.

Several year ago however I did stumble up on a local source for the blade. It was a dealership established in the early fifties in Marion, IN, the county seat. It became a Wheel Horse dealership in 1956.

The original owner is deceased, but his daughter (Linda Beal) started working with her dad in 1972, about five years after graduating from high school.  She was behind me one year in high school. My dad bought a snowblower there (I still have it) which the shop has worked on various times since 1981. I've also bought parts and supplies there on occasions over the years. She no longer floor plans new models of any make or brand. She told me it just became harder to deal with manufacturers over the years with more and more capital outlay being required to carry equipment lines. At the same time, over the last 30 years or so, our county has lost significant population and three major manufacturing concerns closed shop and left town........Thomson TV (originally RCA, and before that Farnsworth Radio), Dana, major maker of automotive driveline components, and Foster-Forbes, a glass bottle plant. The local economic pie got significantly smaller and she adjusted by only doing repair work and selling lots of parts.

At one time all I had was one set of blades which proved inadequate to get me through a mowing season. So, one day I hauled in what I had along with my parts diagram and list and asked if she had any of the double D three holer blades. To my amazement she had what I needed and could also supply the other two blades which were dead ringers for the old style 6758 blades except they had no roll pin holes and had a 3/4" round center hole which would fit my newer outer spindles.

So, that's where I've been going for my needs for several years. Bought two of these double D blades from her this week. She said she has lots of them.....what that means in numbers I'm not sure. But as long as long my spindle functions, I'm going to need this blade. The shop is about 8-9 miles away from me.

She still has NOS Wheel Horse parts and a considerable inventory of NOS Clinton, Tecumseh, and Briggs engine parts. She's managed to figure out what works for her and how to survive and keep the business alive that her dad started over 60 years ago. She's been at it 44 years herself, and she knows the parts business very well.

I specifically asked her who makes this blade and she told me she wasn't sure (her answer was slightly out-of-character because she is typically very sharp on part numbers and sources). Maybe she just didn't want to tell me because if she did, maybe she thought I'd find other, and maybe cheaper, sources. Not sure what to believe. I guess I should just be thankful she can fill this part need for me, and she's not far away. If you need some of these, I'd suggest giving her a call. The business card info is in the last pic below.

Here's pics of the goodies I got from Linda.

The only markings on the blade is QY 1109. If somebody know blades real well, maybe this mystery can be figured out as to who the manufacturer is.

Also, here's the only online source I have been able to find for this blade, unfortunately its in New South Wales, Australia.......of all places:

https://www.outdoorking.com/lawn-mowers/petrol-ride-on/toro-ride-on-mowers/toro-ride-on-blades/toro-wheelhorse-blade-4380-100202-6758

The elusive three holer double D, 16" mower blade:

IMG_0604a.jpg

Used example purchased from Bill's Engine.  Stamping: QY 1109

IMG_0602a.jpg

New example purchased this week.  Stamping: QY 1109

IMG_0620a.jpg

Oregon 91-806 for my outer two spindles

IMG_0622a.jpg

Close up of the Oregon sticker

IMG_0624a.jpg

Bill's Engine.jpg

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

ztnoo

Got a reply back from the Aussie source which says, " They have been discontinued here that I know of in Australia but we were getting them from Primeline in the USA. Their part number is 7-04536."

Its my understanding NAPA use to carry the part with this number but have discontinued the item.

Edited by ztnoo

USHorse

I was buying similar blades at RCWP parts up until last year until I sold the shell.  Have you tried there?