953 nut

7-11-1960

953 nut

7-11-1960

The Hollwood Argyles’ “Alley Oop” leads a novelty-song outbreak

Novelty songs have been around for centuries, slipping in and out of popular fashion. But never in modern musical history were novelty songs quite so popular as they were in the late 1950s and early 1960s. It began in 1958 with David Seville’s “Witch Doctor,” which inspired “Purple People Eater” and led directly to “The Chipmunk Song.” It reached its peak two years later with an outbreak of silliness led by the Hollywood Argyles, a one-hit wonder whose “Alley Oop” topped the Billboard pop chart on this day in 1960.

Alley Oop, for those too young to remember, was the name of a time-traveling caveman whose exploits were chronicled in a long-running comic strip of the same name created in 1932 by cartoonist V.T. Hamlin. At a time when Blondie andBeetle Bailey were often the best things going on a rainy Sunday afternoon, Alley Oop had a cultural currency that the children of today might have difficulty imagining. It was still strong enough in 1960 to make a #1 hit out of a novelty song that did little more than intersperse nostalgic references to dinosaur rides and bearcat stew with comments like “He sho is hip, aint he?” and set it to a doo-*** tune.

The Hollywood Argyles actually consisted of a singer named Gary Paxton fronting a group of hired studio musicians paid $25 each for their efforts.

7-11-1960.jpg

• Like 6

tunahead72

RedSquare censoring software is a little sensitive, eh? :)

• Like 1

953 nut
13 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

censoring software

You don't know the half of it; I usually go by a nickname for Richard that begins with D and rimes with RICK, but when I put it in as my signature line it was rejected. So on the square I am Richard!  :wacko:

• Like 1

tunahead72

You mean Dick?

Wow, that worked!  I'm getting close to the line... :jaw:

• Like 1