botzitaliano

Driveshaft won't disengage

botzitaliano

Hey all I have a 76 d250. Last time I had it out was about a month ago everything was fine. Went to start it up yesterday, and it starts but the clutch won't disengage to put it in to gear. Anyone ever have this problem before?? If anyone could shed any light on how to fix this id greatly appreciate it thanks. 

KC9KAS

I knew of a volunteer fire department that always had problems with the pressure plate "freezing" (rusting) to the flywheel of the engine of their brush truck when it set for extended time.

They would pull the truck with it in gear and the ignition off so it didn't start, then turned the key on and it would fire up and break the rust loose.

Need to be careful doing this....use a long chain and a straight pull.

• Like 1

cschannuth

Happens on our 970 John Deere. We rarely use it. Now when we're not using it we depress the clutch and hold it down with a wood block. To get it loose we use to have to take the side apart and pry the plates apart. It was a pain. 

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 1

blu_stang

I experienced a similar problem with my D250.  

When the tractor was hot, the driveshaft would continue to spin with the engine, even with the clutch "disengaged".  I finally solved the problem by adjusting the clutch linkage.  By tightening the linkage nut, I was able to fully disengage the clutch and driveshaft.  I haven't had any trouble, since. 

gwest_ca

In case you don't have it

If you have lots of open space to drive the tractor -

Get the engine warmed up in neutral so it will restart easily.

Shut the engine off and put into a forward gear.

Restart in gear and drive it while holding the clutch down to see if it will break free. Speed up and slow down so the clutch has to work. The higher the forward gear used the harder the clutch works. If you run out of room turn the ignition key off allowing yourself room to roll to a stop.

Be safe.

Garry