JC 1965

Windows 10 got me !!

JC 1965

I was on Home Depot web site this morning and I left my computer to use the bathroom. When I came back to the computer it had started  downloading Windows 10. Just so happened my grand daughter was coming over today. I called her and told her what was going on. She came over and after it finished downloading she gave me some pointers and so far it is not bad. I new it was going to happen eventually and I was really dreading it but hopefully it will be ok.       :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

It should be fine. If you don't want it, it is simple to go back, as long as you do it within 30 days

• Like 1

DougC

I avoided 10 for a long time and finally let it install. Now that I'm used to the different look I'm comfortable with it and my computer doesn't lock up/freeze like it did so often with Windows 7. Could just be a coincidence, but life is now simpler in my little computer world.....:lol:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I've been using W10 for about 6weeks since Micro ignored my deletes and loaded it for me anyway.

The complaints I have are the slower start up , the loss of my C Cleaner and antivirus programs that I had in W7, and screen sizes changing for no apparent reasons.

I actually took my PC in to my techi  and had him reinstall the cleaner and virus programs.  He is still recommending using Mozilla/Firefox and staying away from google and edge for browsers.

His logic is the hackers concentrate on the most popular browsers.       He blames the slower start up on the age of my pc.

I am sure Brian can help you with any questions as he did for me.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

Jerry77

If it is anything like win 8.1......you are a goner --My HP with win/8.1 finally died - I bought a reconditioned dell with win/7...aahhhh, so glad to get rid of win 8.1...good luck

• Like 1

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I've been using W10 for about 6weeks since Micro ignored my deletes and loaded it for me anyway.

The complaints I have are the slower start up , the loss of my C Cleaner and antivirus programs that I had in W7, and screen sizes changing for no apparent reasons.

I actually took my PC in to my techi  and had him reinstall the cleaner and virus programs.  He is still recommending using Mozilla/Firefox and staying away from google and edge for browsers.

His logic is the hackers concentrate on the most popular browsers.       He blames the slower start up on the age of my pc.

I am sure Brian can help you with any questions as he did for me.

Good Luck !

I have W10 on this lap-top and I have the same problem of the screen size changing on it own!

My wife just put W10 on the desk-top last night, but now has to do something to upgrade the monitor!

• Like 1

can whlvr

ive had 10 for quite a while,i don't think its any better than any of the other ops,my puter still freezes and has had to go in a couple times

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

grand daughter was coming over today. I called her and told her what was going on. She came over and after it finished downloading she gave me some pointers

That is why God gave us Grand Daughters, we would be in the stone age without them.  :ROTF:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

I'll help anyone that needs it. I have my own remote access software, so I can help long distance in most cases. 

If it requires a visit, I know techs across the country, it's quite possible I can connect you with someone I trust.

• Like 3

oldredrider

I've got a feeling you're gonna be a busy man!

• Like 3

rustyedge1

I ran Windows since 98 and W10 has got to be the worst. Was running 8-1 up date from 8 on 2 year old Dell laptop then forced into 10 upgrade. Very unstable to start then leveled out some then Jan 2016 huge update wiped out my anti virus & defender programs, after that it was just one thing after another. Microsoft tech took control and fixed it somewhat but still virus would come back. In Feb 2016 I solved it, bought a MacBook Pro...ByBy Microsoft....

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
7 hours ago, rustyedge1 said:

Microsoft tech took control and fixed it somewhat but still virus would come back.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but this was probably not Microsoft. 

Numerous nefarious companies put misleading ads online claiming to be support for Microsoft and various companies, and they always want to remote in to fix it. They then tell you you have a virus and try to sell you removal services, software, or both

Be careful who you give access to your PC, and never call any number that pops up in a window on your PC

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Exactly why I paid the $50 to have my local techy reinstall my virus  protection after W10 lost it.        Great advice Brian.... never open or call pop up ads even if they look legitimate.

• Like 1

rustyedge1
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I hate to be the one to tell you, but this was probably not Microsoft. 

Numerous nefarious companies put misleading ads online claiming to be support for Microsoft and various companies, and they always want to remote in to fix it. They then tell you you have a virus and try to sell you removal services, software, or both

Be careful who you give access to your PC, and never call any number that pops up in a window on your PC

Great advise. I've seen all those adds which was the virus itself actually. I had my tech clean the hard drive and install Windows 8 on the Dell,