Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Cub Cadet 100

CasualObserver

Stephen had asked about the Cub in the background of my pictures the other day, so I thought I'd share a couple more shots of it. It's a 1965 Cub Cadet 100. The Originals were 7HP and made from 60-63 and then the 70/100 were 7/10HP respectively and made from 63-65. I bought it last winter strapped to a pallet at a farm consignment sale. It was a pretty cold day in February, and I got a decent deal. (would've been just a little bit better if my brother-in-law hadn't run me up on accident) Any way... like I said, strapped to a pallet... missing the starter/generator, but all in all... not too bad of shape. Came with a 38 inch deck, and I found a twin to salvage parts from and a snow/dozer blade at another farm consigment in the summer. Got a S/G from a Cub collector, had to have a auto-electric shop do a little work on it, but put it on, cleaned the carb, pulled and cleaned the head and valves, put it back together and she's running pretty good. Oh, the Choke was rusted in two, and the throttle cable was also shot, so I had to replace them, but otherwise... It's a pretty nice tractor. My first old cub, so it's kinda neat learning about the direct drive and driveshaft. They have the exact same tranny that's in a full size Farmall Cub. they were built on the same tables. If it had a long driveshaft, it went into a Cub, if it had a short, it went into a Cub Cadet. Pretty heavy tractor too. Steers nice and smooth with those little heim joints I replaced the ball joints with. Sometime this spring, I'll have to get some pictures of my Massey MF10 also... but right now, it's in the back of the garden shed and there's just no way to get to it. Anyway... here she is... comments appreciated.

cub1.jpg

cub2.jpg

cub3.jpg

cub4.jpg

cubheim1.jpg

cubheim2.jpg

Rollerman

I like it Jason...the Heims look like a nice & practical addition too.

Never had one yet...but like to find an original or 70 with a pull start.

Nothing wrong with a little extra color in a collection. :D

chevelletown

Hey Jason nice Cub! Looks like a nice job on the steering. I have a Cub 100 and a 185 Low Boy. yep, same tranny. I like the WH D's over the 185, it seems like the WH has as more power in a smaller package. I guess I'll never bleed yellow :D

T-Mo

Jason,

Not bad of a find there. The CC's are/were good strong, durable tractors. I guess you know the forum for them!? :D

ihcubcadet

Here's their forum site (same software as wfm's)

ihcubcadet forum

I wouldn't mind having a CC 149, but I think I would take a JD 140 over them anyway. :P

Greg B.

Nice find, Jason. Wouldn't mind having one, myself.

Greg B.

TT

Here's one you may or may not believe. :(

A guy just up the road from me stopped here two years ago and asked me about working on tractors. (OK -- it's obvious when you drive past. :( ) When he mentioned a Cub Cadet 100, I cringed at the thought of him wanting me to work on it for him. :o The deal was..... his 1964 CC 100 had thrown the connecting rod and his wife (now EX-wife :D ) wouldn't let him put any more money in to it. :(

She told him to go to Sears and buy a NEW mower so they wouldn't have any more problems with "old junk". He went to Sears and bought a Craftsman GT-2500 to make her happy and had stopped here to see if I wanted the old Cub Cadet (read: FREE! :P ). If not, he was going to junk it. (He was :o with the wife -- and I think it was her dad's old tractor)

I kinda played uninterested for a little while, but agreed to drive up and look at it. (about 1/4 mile up the road) It was a 1964 CC 100 with a mower deck and snow blade, and a nice set of home-built wheel weights. He already had the engine out and partially apart, so I knew what I was getting in to there. In 10 minutes it was all loaded on my truck, hauled down the road, and sitting out at the shop.

I didn't feel like dumping a bunch of money in it, so I called a friend in Colver, PA who collects Cubs and asked if he had a K-241 for a 100 that would run. He had one -- and I bought it for $75. I also had to put a battery in it and put an armature and brushes in the S/G. I took it to the NAMA show with a few Wheel Horses and stuck a "For Sale" sign on it. It sold for $400.00 that afternoon. :o

f364522d.jpg

combatmp29r

Terry yet agai nyou rolled in a pile of S#$% and came out smelling of roses. :D

My buddy with the twin engine horse traded a CC 100 to Terry from Indy (the original vertical shaft guy) for 3 A-800s. Thus the building blocks for the twin engine horse. terry still has it 4 yrs later in the same spot next to his JD 110 hiden behind all the horses. :P

kpinnc

Jason, that's a tough little machine you got there! A little yellow goes just fine with red in the shop! If I was gonna have another brand, it would be one of those!

Pop has a 1964 100 too. They are tuff little tractors. He restored it a few years ago, and did a pretty good job on it, but put the "70" decals on the hood because he thought that was what it was. We never questioned it until last year when he got the creeper gear for it. That's when I noticed the head of the engine had cooling fins going straight across instead of diagonally. Before that, neither of us were the wiser. It had a 70 hood on it when he got it. Go figure... :D

He put duallies on it, the creeper gear, and now has hydraulic lift, and the rear 90 degree gearbox style PTO. It's a little beast!

Sparky

Hey Jason. Heres a pic of a MF-10 I sold this summer. I dont like Tecumseh motors but this one I have to admit was a good smooth runnin motor. Even the deck was nice and quiet.

Mike..........

2007_0625Image0011.jpg

CasualObserver

Thanks for all the comments guys! I am wanting to do a complete restore on it, but we'll have to see what the spring brings.

Mike that's a sharp looking MF10. :D I really do enjoy that tractor as well. I put two new drive belts on mine... and Whew!... $90 for the two belts and only two options to get them... Agco or Jacks Small Engines. Works good with two new belts on it and the variable speed adjusted right though. The Massey, the Cub 100 and my Raider 9... Three 10 HP tractors, and three VERY different rides! The Wheel Horse is the lightest of the bunch, and the Cub is the heaviest. That cast iron grill housing I think weighs about 40-50 lbs by itself. I don't have any attachments for the Massey, but it does run pretty good and smooth like you said. I do need to put a carb kit in mine, the fuel bowl is leaking... but I haven't been able to find one. I've ordered them three times but get kits for a Walbro carb, and I need the one for the Tecumseh carb. Nobody can seem to get it right. Anyone here happen to have that part number?

Thanks again guys.