PeacemakerJack

"Blackbeard"--Zach's GT-14

SylvanLakeWH

Lucky kid and Dad!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Zachary looks stoked big time. It will be a great tractor for him. Lots of fellas on here to help you with the PTO. I'll chime in as well. 

But it I think the topics been covered. If no one chimes in, I'll see if I can find the thread and add a link to this thread sometime in next day or so. Laptop is easier for me than phone for such things.

PS, I love the moniker!

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

312Hydro

Great story and I see smiling faces all around! That's just a fantastic thing to share with your kids. I'm thinking a flag with the skull an crossbones would look good with it. Great find and the memories will be priceless.:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
15 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Don't get that GT-14 anywhere near me. If you know pirate history, Blackbeard met his demise at the hands of Lieutenant Robert Maynard. :violence-blades: 

:text-yeahthat:

AAARRRGGGHHH!

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
13 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Don't get that GT-14 anywhere near me. If you know pirate history, Blackbeard met his demise at the hands of Lieutenant Robert Maynard. :violence-blades: 

Oh by the way, nice tractor.

Exactly!  I was laughing about that as soon as I saw your avatar!  

Thanks guys for the thoughts.  I'll keep posting pics, updates, and videos as we get it together!  

312Hydro---I'm thinking of something That would tie in the Wheel Horse logo with the traditional pirate flag and have a decal made up for the seat back.  That way when we are plowing at a plow day, the person behind is staring at that "banner"

arrrrrrr...maties!

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

"What helpful hints do you have for removing and reinstalling and setting up the PTO?"

This should be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

A good day working on Blackbeard! I was able to remove the carb and clean it. The old float bowl had a thin spot that had opened just slightly. I didn't want to have the risk of that leaking later so I replaced it with another from my stash.  I removed the old nasty fuel line and replaced it as well as the fuel filter.  I function tested everything to the carb and I had fuel flow.  Then I pulled the head...

image.jpg

To say that it had carbon buildup was the understatement of the day!  So I spent awhile cleaning that all up. I had a fresh gasket in my drawer and so I was ready to put it back together.

image.jpg

Zach was keeping a close "eye" on the progress and must've asked me a hundred times today, "What's that?".  He is so much fun to have around while doing a project like this, keeps me from getting to upset and forgetting the really important things of life!

image.jpg

Caleb, my oldest, helped me install the head bolts and torque it to spec!  He really is starting to get into this stuff more and more.  

I didn't have a replacement battery and so I hooked it to my car battery with jumper cables and fired it up after changing the oil and installing the new air cleaner. It had to turn over a little before it fired because of the fuel bowl being empty.  However, it started and ran.  It has a miss that I have to trouble shoot but he's ALIVE!  It's a pirates life for us now! Look out Maynard, Edward Teach is looking for revenge! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 8

Don1977

It could be that the carburetor need cleaning. If that doesn't fix the miss check the valves. I had a bad miss with a 12 HP magnum found the intake valve way to tight.

• Like 3

953 nut
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

It has a miss that I have to trouble shoot

:twocents-02cents:   In spite of your cleaning of the carburetor, there could be a minor deposit or two; use some Seafoam spray into the air intake (outdoors) and add Seafoam to the fuel.

8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Zach was keeping a close "eye" on the progress and must've asked me a hundred times today, "What's that?".

Father and son in the shop; best teaching method ever!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 7

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it. From what I can tell, the previous owner must've gotten his hand on a factory replacement seat cover.  It is original pattern with the embossed logo on the back rest.  The seat base cover had come loose (that is part of the reason why I think it isn't original to the tractor) and the seat foam had soaked up a bunch of water. I've taken that apart and let it dry for the last several days.  The condition of the vinyl is amazing! It is very pliable and not cracked at all on the seat base!  So, I'm gonna reinstall that later today.  Also on the list for today is dumping the old tranny fluid and filter and replacing.  Started that process before heading to work!  I haven't located that miss yet.  I'll keep you posted on the progress there!  I know this is elsewhere on the forum but I'd like to ask it in this thread...I want to put AG tires on the back of this dude.  Does anyone have a lead for me?  It seems like this size isn't very popular for a true AG tire.  There are several industrial skid steer tires available but I personally prefer the look of a standard AG tire, as wide and as tall as they make that will fit the fender!!!:D

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Nothing quite like wasting about 3 qts of HyTran!!!!:no:I changed my filter and topped off the fluid.  I decided to take a drive around the yard and get a "feel" for the tractor and the engine miss...

I backed out of the shed and drove about 45 yards across the back yard when the hydro started to act really sluggish and howling. Suddenly it wouldn't go anywhere. About this time I got off to adjust the carb because it was running very erratically.  Then my wife was behind me yelling over the 3500 RPM K321 something about my son Judge slipping in some fluid! I shut down the tractor only to find that there was a perfect trail of HyTran to the back of Blackbeard!!!!  I flipped up the seat and the top hydraulic line had blown off and there was HyTran everywhere.:bitch:

So, I took care of the line, refilled the tranny and started it up again. It was still missing pretty badly. I had set the main fuel jet at two turns out from bottom and I ended up turning it in about 3/4 of a turn before it settled down and ran pretty good.  So then I drove it around the yard for about 10 minutes.  I really like this tractor!  I think that once I get the bugs worked out, this thing will be a ton of fun to work with and play with.  If I have time, tomorrow I will put the seat back together...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

I think they ride especially nice due to the weight and I like the lower center of gravity compared to a couple other large models.

• Like 6

PeacemakerJack

Today after work my daughter helped me reattach the seat foam and cover to the pan.  When I took the seat apart I was able to get the two side bolts out without incident.  However, the center bolt snapped off.  I fiddled with it for a couple of hours last night and finally managed tearing the nut out of the seat pan.  So, I decided to place a washer on top of the pan and then a nut on that and epoxy the whole works together...

image.jpg

I'm not sure how it will hold up but I think it should work pretty well for that application.  

Claudia and I were able to get

the seat back together and it turned out really nice.  

I spent about 45 min removing the Cat O from my other GT-14 and then decided to take Zac for a ride on his tractor since he was already in the house and bathed when I was running it last night.  It started right up and ran pretty smoothly.  We drove it for about five minutes when it does just like someone turned off the key...!  

Any ideas???????????

later tonight I'll check to make sure the fuel pump is still functioning.  The only other thing I can think of is the breaker less ignition.  Since there are no points to check...I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Check the electrical connections to and from the ammeter. Bad/disconnected wires will kill and engine instantly. 

• Like 2

HorseHead1089

seeing Aldon's thread and this one really make want to do some giant gt14/c-195 type project. I wish i got into this stuff when i was real young like these guys, however teaching myself and using the internet as a guide has helped for good progress these past 7 years. Also is that a Kubota Diesel Cub cadet in the background there...(i have one too)

• Like 2

Aldon

I have had starter switches fail most on these 40 plus year old tractors. Followed by relays then CDI. I guess general electrical opens due to corrosion is tied with CDI.

I rewire to use cheaper ignition switch than what was stock.

On my last tractor, I just gutted the wiring and redid to avoid the irritating residual failures. Seemingly every week a minor break down.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, HorseHead1089 said:

seeing Aldon's thread and this one really make want to do some giant gt14/c-195 type project.

Also is that a Kubota Diesel Cub cadet in the background there...(i have one too)

The big wheel GT's are very addicting tractors! I like the way the sit, I like the way they look, and I can't wait to work Blackbeard cutting lawn, blowing snow and plowing soil among other things!

that is a 1772 Cub in the background and a 224 Case. Both have been in the family for awhile.

• Like 3

HorseHead1089

i also have  1772, one of the rarer ones because of the bigger engine and 1 year of production...

When you restore that GT-14 do you plan on keeping the hood black so the name black beard still shows? i think that would look unique and cool.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
32 minutes ago, HorseHead1089 said:

When you restore that GT-14 do you plan on keeping the hood black so the name black beard still shows? i think that would look unique and cool.

One of the most difficult things right now for me concerning this tractor is to not jump right into an every nut and bolt restoration!  I've promised myself and the kids that I will restore each one of their tractors WITH THEM when they are about 14 years old.  Zach is three right now so that will be a decade for Blackbeard. However, I am planning to do some touch up paint to preserve it until we do restore it.  Yes it will retain the black hood and maybe even some custom decals at least until we restore it.  If the name has really stuck by then, I don't know how we could build it without a black "beard"! 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
On July 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

...We drove it for about five minutes when it does just like someone turned off the key...!  

Any ideas???????????

later tonight I'll check to make sure the fuel pump is still functioning...

Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes!!!!!  Last night I had a long time friend over to my house to help me rebuild a Ross steering box for my sons CC 100.  He worked for Chief equipment, the same farm implement dealer that my dad worked for.  Pat was responsible for setting up the new Cub Cadets and repairing any GT's that came in needing servicing.  He has that responsibility for about a decade and therefore became very familiar with the Kohler engines.  I asked him if he would mind taking a look at Blackbeard. After playing with the carb adjustments for a minute or two, he pointed out that the piece on top of the throttle assembly was loose, real loose!   He pushed that down where it should set and tightened the screw.  Instantly the engine began to run much smoother.   I'm not saying that the ignition system is completely glitch free yet.  However, as we discussed that finding, I recalled hitting a fairly large bump both times that it killed out.  It seems somewhat far fetched to think that a huge gulp of air would kill the engine that fast but Pat did say it was possible.  He also said that much of the sputtering and missing was from the constant change in air/fuel ratio mixture... 

I'll you posted on that as updates warrant.  For the mean time it is back to the refurbish. Next up, cleaning the tunnel area.  Lots of caked on grease.  I did note one thing after cleaning that area.  This thing didn't spend too long outdoors.  Look at the bottom side of the footrests...

image.jpg

and the lift ram...

image.jpg

It made me feel good to see this.  I can paint to top side of the sheet metal and know that the undercarriage will be just fine until Zac and I do an official restore in about 10 years!

• Like 5

Aldon

My symtoms were a bit different than yours but I too had a problem with carburetor top screw working loose continuously. I swapped it out rather than rebuild. I have 3-4 carbs sitting ready to be rebuilt. Figure that's a good winter project. The underside of the tractor does look well preserved.

• Like 3

ztnoo

The underside of your GT 14 looks mighty good to me.

Enough grease and oil mixed with dirt on a vehicle that was mostly inside during its lifetime, means it will likely be well preserved.

What I see looks outstanding!

A gentle and careful pressure washing might leave you shocked with how well preserved the tractor is.

Amazing.

Cleaning will also make working on it much easier.

thumbup.gif

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

So Far, Blackbeard has been running as good as can be expected for a 45 year old tractor since that carb tune up and adjustment.  Next up, it is time to install that electric PTO from my other tractor and see if it functions like it should to run the mower deck.  I tried the manual down load above and it is for a late model vertical shaft mower clutch.  Does anyone on here have first hand info on how to remove, install, and properly set the PTO clutch for this tractor?  I'm open to personal experience (if it is correct) or better yet a service manual link.  I also need to change the hydraulic hoses to and from the controller because the ones on Blackbeard aren't very good anymore (hose clamps are holding one of the fittings!).  Once I have set up and function tested the deck, it will be time for some fresh clothes on Blackbeard that will last him for about ten years until Zach is old enough to paint him!  

• Like 1