PeacemakerJack

"Blackbeard"--Zach's GT-14

RandyLittrell

It may be too late for this now, but it looks to me if you had some K341 sheet metal instead of the M16 it would clear the hood. Hate to see ya have to cut the hood. 

Randy

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

How close is that hood to a 953 hood? I have a spare that's already been cut. Get that seat off and put an old pos on for temp. That original looks too nice to be beating up on a plow field!

That a Sportster sittin next to old yeller? :)

Not sure on the hood comparison.  Maybe someone else on here knows better than me, I could measure dad’s 953 and compare.

That seat was the one that came with it as I mentioned on the first page.  It is in great shape for its age.  

That is cousin Paul’s sporty.  His stuff always has a way of migrating to my place😉

C2B721FD-2A0F-4D05-B851-99CC5D85D52E.jpeg.88a5f27bf65dc099a3534f67eff03990.jpeg

When I said it was close...

D2709ECE-7078-4B4E-898A-5100B53B7A94.jpeg.d4883f594c73809dd6b8927b6bd8419b.jpeg

It seems to me that I could take the spare hood that I have and belly both sides equally in the same spot just to clear that rear corner of the engine tin by a quarter inch and I’ll be good.  Dan/Kevin (fab guys) what do you think?

Randy—that’s the problem...I didn’t have a K341 Tin at my disposal.  There are enough differences between that and the Magnum that I’m still not sure it would’ve worked.  Good thought though.  

Richie suggested modifying the engine tin to clear.  I liked that idea but I wasn’t patient enough:hide:

Once I get a few more of these details ironed out, should be ready to put the mower deck on and try it out in a real world application once again! 

If i I feel like the governor isn’t opening up fast enough or at all, which way do I go with changing the hole that the spring is in?

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

If you have a spare hood, thats what I would do too. Save the good hood for the rebuild later. Doesn't look like it will take much. 

Randy

• Like 2

Achto

:text-yeahthat: Given the fact that you have two hood, I think that I would belly one out to fit this application.

Does the hood have a rolled or folded edge on the bottom? If it doesn't, you could also cut one of the hoods to gain your clearance. The cut out could be easily repaired at a later date.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

p38js

Peacemaker Jack,  Sorry it took so long to reply, all of a sudden I got busier than a one armed paper hanger.  I used a 12v relay from advanced auto and attached it under the switch to the mounting bolt already there. Hope this helps

A810BB49-6312-48F2-941D-65EE44F343A2.jpeg

7E4AB7FC-A20B-4F32-A115-C7171FAA86AB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I guess you can see in this post how much I stretched the side of Frank’s hood, but I had some filling to do when it was all said and done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Send me that M16 shroud and I’ll fix it for you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
On 8/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, WHX24 said:

How close is that hood to a 953 hood? I have a spare that's already been cut. Get that seat off and put an old pos on for temp. That original looks too nice to be beating up on a plow field!

That a Sportster sittin next to old yeller? :)

A bit late to the party, but your 953/1054 hood is shorter than a GT-14 by 2 3/4".

1804674750_953GT-14hood001.JPG.bd54e27d0fe149fd3da7bf29967c2338.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

That's awesome! I think the hood looks good, gives it a little muscle look to it. 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

You can barely tell that it is cut. I would leave that as is. Great smile and a great tractor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Have fun, enjoy the weekend at camp!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Have some Fun at the Camp Champs 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

We got the mower deck back on Blackbeard and had the opportunity to do some cutting with it yesterday.  The engine is strong but it still has a stutter occasionally.  I’m going to have to do a few more adjustments to the carb.  I also have a hydraulic leak that I believe to be one of the hydro line fittings.  I want to make sure everything is dialed in and fully functional so that this machine can get used regularly over the next decade or so as Zach grows into his mid teen years.  Mom and Dad stopped by the other day and Zach was so excited to show them his tractor.  Mom was concerned that he wouldn’t be able to handle it but when I showed her that all the controls were on the dash and tunnel cover she couldn’t believe it.  It’s a big horse for sure but manageable in design for a youngster.  

It sure sounds good under load.  The exhaust has just the right note and the torque band is pretty wide.   It’s easy to see why these tractors have had a large following through the decades!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

The big wheel types are a far cry from my 502 Josh, but both are awesome feats of engineering!  Long live Wheel Horse (collecting)!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

I couldn’t agree with you more Kevin! I may sound biased lately because I’ve had a “double dose” of Big Wheels on the brain but I like them all.  You’ll hear me talk about the round nose tractors a bunch when Caleb and I get to working on Comanche to take care of the fuel tank leak.  I love driving that little tractor around.  I have an 8” David Bradley wall behind sod bottom plow that I need to fabricate a custom tongue hitch for and that will find its way on to Comanche for plowing. 

The Ponds really were creative geniuses and their simple yet profound tractors all around the world continue to prove that daily—decades after the boys have passed away!

• Like 1

Pullstart

You called it back in the 875 thread, Zach needed a GT-14!

How much time had passed between the pictures here?  2 years?  3?

C06F1907-E31A-4F85-B632-17F1E21F4AE8.jpeg

3CC86386-DBA3-4B34-822D-28B40770E6F9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Great find and tie in Kevin!

I’m pretty sure it was about two years between those photos—maybe a little less.  Zach loves playing with, working on, using tractors—especially his.  Hopefully, we can work the last few kinks out of the new Blackbeard repower and then get some fresh paint on it...because that is what Zach wants.  Then hopefully we can record years of usage right here in this thread.  A digital, written time capsule of his interaction with his Horse!

• Like 2

19richie66

A boy and his horse ....... sounds like a book.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

You know Richie, as you keep a close eye on my threads, you’ve probably seen that these tractor ones are kinda like a book.  Maybe Zach or one of his siblings will turn out to be a prolific writer someday and they can take what they find here as a basis for a book;) stranger things have happened!  I think I’ve said this on here before but among many of the kids in our church, I’m known as Storyman Stertz!!!😁. I suppose that is one of the reasons my stuff tends to be wordy!☺️

It is already cool for Caleb to look back and see posts from five years ago and see how much he has learned, grown, and changed. Imagine Zach who was just over a year when I joined...now he is nearly 6 1/2!!!! This is a great place to record his journey...

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

I need some help fellow “horsemen” I need to install a different choke cable on Zach’s tractor.  The original one is about 3” too short with the new motor in place.  However, I don’t know how to remove this old one and I don’t want to wreck it...

055893AD-093B-41F0-9819-DEAEC11B4E1A.jpeg.408fdfaaa38ea15065a2d429860a65ad.jpeg

I can’t figure out how this is retaining to the dash. All the ones that I have dealt with in the past have a conventional nut on the back...

Thanks

• Like 1

Aldon

I’m pretty sure that the pipe looking piece is threaded and spun on but it’s been 5 years since I removed one so my memory may be fuzzy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

If you can try to spin that pipe, I’d say go for it!  Maybe the dash has a flat spot in it to prevent the cable housing from spinning...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Guys...your memory is still functioning Aldon😉

36FC9943-AB92-4567-A663-941FF44DC51F.jpeg.45277d0e1ac2178547f55f97bd448d84.jpeg

This is what the 1970 installed choke cable looks like.  The little metal piece keeps the cable from spinning and the pipe is the “nut”.

However, the hole in the dash is too large for the spare choke cable that I have. :angry-banghead:

• Sad 1

Aldon

Use bushing and washer

• Like 1