Nhaydt92

This things got me puzzled

Nhaydt92

I got my 656 running the other week after like 50 pulls. After running for like 15-20 the carb started dripping. So I cleaned it all out and now for the life of me I can't get it started. I get a little sputter every like 25 pulls. It did have louder valves when it ran. The guy said he rebuilt it 10 years ago. Any ideas?

rmaynard

Sounds like a float valve problem. I'd try removing the carb, clean or replace the float valve assembly and see if that helps. The carb will drip when the float is stuck down and the valve doesn't close. After cleaning it out you may now have a small piece of debris blocking the flow of fuel.

• Like 1

stratostar250

Sounds exactly like mine.  After a new coil, condensor, points, air filter and carb, still is the exact same.....if you find what is wrong with yours, let me know!  I talked with a few people at the big show that said it could be an issue with the flywheel magnets, but I have not gotten an chance to check it yet.  I'll try to stay in this thread, because it sounds very similar to how mine is acting.  Good luck, and if I find anything, I'll let you know.  

• Like 1

Nhaydt92

Mu did clean the carb out really well so I don't think I'm having debri issues. I tightened up the screw on the bottom of the bowl I believe that's where it was coming from. It's got me puzzled because once it runs it runs pretty decent. So I'll continue playing with it tomorrow and let you's know!!!

953 nut
9 hours ago, Nhaydt92 said:

It did have louder valves when it ran.

By this did you mean that there was clatter coming from the valve lifters? Could be you need to check the lifter clearance.Kohler Single Cylinder Engine Specs _ Torque Values and Sequences for Fasteners _ Identification & Torque Settings of Most Commonly Used Grades of Bolts (1) (1).html

• Like 1

Nhaydt92

I guess that could be the issue if you figure the valves arent opening far enough. I appreciate it and will def check them out. 

On June 28, 2016 at 7:32 AM, 953 nut said:

By this did you mean that there was clatter coming from the valve lifters? Could be you need to check the lifter clearance.Kohler Single Cylinder Engine Specs _ Torque Values and Sequences for Fasteners _ Identification & Torque Settings of Most Commonly Used Grades of Bolts (1) (1).html

I forgot this one has the 6 HP Tecumseh in it. My 702 has the 7 HP kohler 

Buckshot1

:) Why are you pull starting, a 656 should have electric start. Mine 656 has electric start with a pull start option. Over the years, I have found that those Tec carbs can be a PITA 

, espically(sp) those with some age on them. When I rebuilt my H60, I cleaned and rebuilt the carb., the engine still would not run right. I was lucky enough to find a NOS tec carb with high speed adjustment. Which took care of the fuel problem.  I would check the float level, if I remember right, its 11/64's from the carb base to the bottom of the float. With no gasket installed. As for the valves I would be checking the lash. :flags-waveusa:

Edited by Buckshot1
  • Like 1