cgambino1018

Weight on the front of the horse

cgambino1018

Gentlemen,

I have a 312 1988/89 with a 42inch deck and I use a Cyclone Rake in the back that I connect to the bagger brackets.  It works awesome!  On my single acre I only have to dump the clippings twice.  The problem I have is when the cyclone bag fills it gets heavy and its very easy to pull the front wheels off the ground.  What can I do to get more weight on the front end.  

As a side note, I do have a bracket connected to the mule drive that I connect a thatcher to once a year.  I am pretty sure I should not put weights on this but just wanted to let you know.

All comments and feedback are appreciated.      

2016-06-18 07.39.40 HDR.jpg

Edited by cgambino1018
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Bet it gets light in the front end when traveling up hill, huh? 

Tried adding some front wheel weights yet?    :scratchead:

:WRS:

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: but with those small wheels it may not be enough. Maybe fill the tires too. Is it possible to move the trailer wheels forward? I wouldn't be comfortable adding any real weight to that thatcher bracket. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

squonk

Looks like that trailer could use 4 wheels instead of 2. 

• Like 1

clueless

Can I get a few shots of how it's connected to the rear of the tractor, just got a great deal on one, thinking of hooking to my 312. Thanks, Chris.

cgambino1018

Thanks for all the replies.  Will see about filling the tires and adding front wheel weights.  Here are some pics of the how the cyclone is connected.. the bagger bracket has extra weld supported.  it twisted and broken once when the bagger was loaded and i was on a slight hill and the weight went to 1 side. 

because there is play between the pins and the cyclone bracket when turning there is some loose movement on the back end.  That's why i tried to putt dense rubber around the pins to lessen the play.

let me know if you need more pics.  

Cheers

Chris

2016-06-18 14.34.00 HDR.jpg

2016-06-18 14.34.08 HDR.jpg

shallowwatersailor

I think that part of the problem is that the hitch is too high and shifting weight quicker to the rear. It needs to be semi-rigid to transfer weight to the tractor. I have the XL 415 gallon-size on the rear of my 5xi and use a 2" receiver hitch to attach mine. It sometimes does get a bit light depending on the density of the leaves if I fill it until it blows out the relief.

I would try and add weight to the thatcher bracket, weight the tires or add weight to the side of the frame like tractors used for pulling, and lower the hitch.

DSC06301.JPG

rmaynard

I have never had any problem with my cyclone rake lifting the front end of the tractor off the ground. I use the standard hitch provided by Cyclone which keeps the frame of unit level. When the bag is empty, the weight of the engine forces the hitch down slightly. But when the bag gets full, the center of gravity remains over the Cyclones wheels, thereby keeping the front of my tractor on the ground.

SPINJIM

How about moving the wheels on the Cyclone farther forward on the under carriage to carry more of the weight.   The engine on the Rake, combined with the leaves, puts a lot of weight on the tow hitch.   Also, as has also been suggested, find a way to mount the hitch lower, closer to the height of the WH rear axles.   Good luck.  Come this Fall, I'm going to wish I had a Cyclone Rake.    Nice.

Jim

cheesegrader

I agree with Jim, that moving the hitch closer to the rear axle of the tractor would reduce leverage of a loaded trailer.

Lower or farther forward, or both.  Just closer to the axle.

Moving the trailer wheels forward would help, too.  That might make moving an empty trailer clumsy, with the tongue up in the air.

You will only get about 50 lbs of weight on the front wheels, and they are pricey.

Loading the wheels won't add much more, since volume is so low.

Easiest solution is probably adding weight to the front.

Why do you think those brackets would suffer if you add weight?

gwest_ca

2 pages

I made a similar bracket and sit a worn out Caterpillar track idler and it's bearings inside the bracket. Totally it weighs exactly 100 lbs. and can still use a dozer blade.

Garry

cgambino1018

Garry, just so i understand you connected a bracket to the mule and put 100lbs on it?  no bending or braking of the mule?

I am also thinking of taking the ball off.  putting an L bracket there and connecting the rake at that point.  That should help with getting the weight on the axle more and also i can drill the right size holes, so the cyclone is tighter ..

Thanks

Chris 

gwest_ca

No. I mounted it to holes already in the frame behind the mule. A long pin at the front and 2 bolts in the rear holes. I like everything tight so there are no rattles. I did not use spacers like the kit shows. I bent the 3/8" x 1-1/2" flat iron to go out around the mule. The weight just sits inside the frame. Do have to lift the weight off to open the hood.

Garry

cgambino1018

Garry,

Thanks for the quick response.. can I bother you for a pic when you get a chance.

Chris

shallowwatersailor
5 hours ago, cgambino1018 said:

Garry, just so i understand you connected a bracket to the mule and put 100lbs on it?  no bending or braking of the mule?

I am also thinking of taking the ball off.  putting an L bracket there and connecting the rake at that point.  That should help with getting the weight on the axle more and also i can drill the right size holes, so the cyclone is tighter ..

Thanks

Chris 

Don't use the Wheel Horse hitch. It will bend with the torque from the weight of the CR. It took three versions (ask me how I know that it will bend the hitch) to get a decent means of pulling my CR. I finally ended with the 2" receiver made by one of our vendors, and bolted the plate that CR provides to a winch adapter for a 2" receiver.

cgambino1018

When you get a chance can I get a pic of what you have fabricated.  I prefer to not go through the same learning curve :)  Thanks Chris

can whlvr

we have the large cr on an old 265 john deere and it doesn't lift the front at all,and I have REALLY big hills at work