Sign in to follow this  
hodge

310-8

hodge

Merry Christmas to me! I was finishing up a bathroom floor this morning for a customer, and he asked me if I was interested in buying a Wheel Horse. He has a 310-8 that he had bought new in the 80's, and was tired of fooling with it. He wants a zero turn now. It won't turn over (I think the battery is dead/bad), but otherwise is in good shape. It is a 37" side discharge, with the twin bagger. I QUICKLY paid him $150 for it, and will pick it up next week. I wasn't necesarily looking for a "small" WH, but I am excited about it, now. I like my 520, but this will mow for much less, and is smaller/lighter than the 520. Oh, the choices to mow with... :banana:

kpinnc

Congrats Hodge!

I LOVE my 310-8.

Kevin

stevebo

That is a beautiful thing .... You will like the bagger when the leaves fall.

JimD

way to go, right place, right time, doesn't get better than that.

TJ

Great deal! :hide:

Duff

Wow, Hodge! Good deal! :hide:

And you're gonna love that 37" SD deck - great cut! :horseplay:

Duff :D

hodge

Like all you guys can attest to, it is exciting to find a nice tractor, for a decent price. I have kept my eyes open for some time, but WH's aren't that prolific around here, and I just haven't stumbled upon anything. I don't need another one, but this 310 is kept in a barn, in good shape, and just needs some TLC, so I won't pass it up. I doubt that I will use the bagger, because my land is rougher than normal, and I don't have much of a leaf problem. I will probably sell that.

THanks for the warm sentiments, and I will post some photos when I get it. :hide:

Merry Christmas!

WheelHorse_of_course

:hide: So you bought yourself a Christmas gift, eh?

Congrats!

hodge

I picked the 310 up today, put a new battery in her, and drove it around the yard a while. I am very pleased with it, but it does need some attention. The hood hinge is pretty worn, and the hood slops around. Any good ideas on how to correct where the holes have wallowed? It will need a new drive belt, and I will need to work on the front axle- it slops around a little, too. I will post some pics when my youngun gets home...

Any ideas on what year I have? The decal is worn down to the point that I can't read it, and by the Toro website, based on the engine # (M10S-461521), I have an 87 and up. Any distinguishing features that will tell me the exact year?

pond195520032003

sounds like you did well for your self :hide: as for the hood being loose :hide: i think they used bushings like the older models :D and if so i have them :D not sure what the going price is :omg: but i can definitly beat that :omg:

DMESS

Glad to hear you got it running easily. First I'll assume it's a maroon stripe. If so, the Magnum 10 makes it an '87-'89. As far as differences between the 3 years (other than the data tag) these are pretty much identical from what I've seen. Engine spec will be the same. I have noticed the "8 SPEED" decal placement is a little different on some/most of the '89's compared to the earlier years. The decal is more centered top to bottom on the side panel while the earlier years had it close up against the two bolts on said panel. I don't recall any other details being different on these. same seat, steering wheel etc. Some models were one year only, but the 310-8 was a very popular machine and built for a pretty long run. :hide:

KyBlue

Sweet deal!!

kpinnc

Any good ideas on how to correct where the holes have wallowed?

Hodge,

Both Tractor Supply Co and Lowes carry bronze bushings that you can use on the hood. I've done this on a couple tractors, and they work great. Wheel Horse actually used plastic ones, but once they fell out and the holes got opened up they are useless as replacements.

Your 310-8 MAY have a solid pin in the hood pivot. I replaced mine with the bronze bushings, and two 3/8 bolts and nuts.

You'll probably have to drill the holes in the hood "hinge" out just a bit to accept the bushings, but it will be a solid and permanent fix. Here's the one on my 867:

muledrive021-1.jpg

Missing the cotter pin, but you get the idea.

Good luck!

Kevin

Duff

Your 310-8 MAY have a solid pin in the hood pivot. I replaced mine with the bronze bushings, and two 3/8 bolts and nuts.

You'll probably have to drill the holes in the hood "hinge" out just a bit to accept the bushings, but it will be a solid and permanent fix.

Dang! Why didn't I think of that when I was rebuilding my first 312-8? :hide:

Even after the rebuild with new hinges and pivot pin, the hood still rattles. :omg:

Guess I know whats gonna happen to #2, and #1 will get a retrofit as soon as she comes out of winter storage.

Thanks much for the tip, Kevin! :hide:

Duff :D

Oh - and Merry Christmas! :omg:

KyBlue

That is a VERY good Tip!!! :hide: :D

hodge

BAM! Tips like that are what make this site the BEST!

And, the fact that you are willing to share knowledge and expereince. I travel to Haiti as often as I can, and a stigma there is that when someone has a special knowledge, they keep it to themselves. That makes them, in their view, more valuable and special. I can see why they feel that way in their society, but by all rights and the Bible, we are meant to share with one another. There are few actions that show more compassion, respect, and comraderie than sharing knowledge with others.

Just my .02, but a valuable .02...

Michael Bullington

nice find :D ...I cant wait until i can get one of these types next summer to mow my lawn with!! I getting a 310 or 312, or 314...whatever I can find thats a great deal!! :hide:

bitten

I like my 310-8 very much. I have it torn down right now for a complete redo. I have the same hood problem and was going to fix it a differant way but the bushing idea sounds very good and something I will look into. My front axle was loose when I first got it and found that some of the bolts that hold the front attach amatic on was loose and the front of the holding pin for the axle goes in it. I also found the bolt for the axle pin that holds the pin in place was missing and just thankfull that the axle didnt fall off before I found and fixed the problem. Hopefully the pin and axle isnt in bad shape. If everything is good and you still have slop look into putting some shims in to tighten it up.

Good Luck with it,

P.J.

kpinnc

PJ, I used a similar bushing from TSC on my Bronco 14's axle pivot pin. It was badly worn, but the bushing worked like a charm. These things come in many different sizes.

Kevin

noncritical

hi everyone i to recently picked up a 310-8 had to rewire it and cleaned it up thinking of hooking up my tiller from the rader on it and good luck with yours

hodge

Same to you, and Merry Christmas!

hodge

Update- thanks to the tip from Kpinnc, I bought brass bushings and bolts and have the hood all nice and tight now, I moved the front and rear tires (and spindles) from the jumker 417, fixed a wiggly gear here and a wobbly shaft there, and she now drives better than a new tractor!

I am really growing to like this 310. It isn't quite as "bulky" as the 520. I think I will definitely enjoy it.

Now, to transfer the blade from the B-80 to it.

whfan74

Fantastic find Hodge...........I am sure you will enjoy it more and more.

If you want to sell that bagger unit, I am very, very interested. If you still have it please let me know.

Happy New Year!