stevebo

How many were made?

stevebo

I have an opportunity to purchase a 417-8 speed (not auto). First question is:

1- Anyone know how many were made?

2- Are they desirable ?

I have only seen then in hydros.

Lastly,

What should I pay for that machine with 48 inch deck and 48 inch snow blade? thanks for the feedback... Steve Bo

Deere Hunter

Not sure on how many were made, but I own one. I have only seen two other 417-8's they were both at the WH Show over the past several years. If Dustin sees this I am sure he will have alot more to add then I can. As far as the price I gave $850 for mine but that was about 8 years ago. Came with the 42"RD deck and 48" blade. Had alittle over 300 hours at the time. Also you may want to find out if it is a series I or II Kohler. The series II is the one you want :hide:

DMESS

All of the 417's should be Series II engines to my knowledge. Not that it makes a ton of difference as these can still be problematic. While the Series II engines had a "full pressurized oil system" with oil galleys running through the crank to lube the rod mains, I feel there were still unresolved oiling and balance issues. The Series II engines operated between 25-50 psi and were regulated with a pressure relief valve to avoid overly high oil pressure. The series I twins opperated at approx 5 psi and lubed the mains with what amounted to a drip/spray from the cam above. Even with the production changes I've seen far too many "one cylinder" Series II and even Magnum twins. The later design were rod chuckers just the same and don't appear to be much of an improvement over the Series I IMO.

It seems diligent maintenance and proper oil level monitoring is most critical with these engines and I HAVE seen examples with over 2000 hours. I've seen 3 times as many though with a few hundred hours and ventilated blocks.

Now as far as the 417-8 is concerned: This machine was built for 2 years. 1985 and '86. The '85 was a bit of a "plain jane" and did not have the louvered hood, chrome accents or the handy electric lift. These items were added to the 1986 variation and were a considerable upgrade. For all intents and purposes the 1987 418-8 is identical with exception to the obvious change of the 18 horse Magnum twin. The embossed hub caps appeared this year too, but that is a minor detail. These are all 8 pinion rears with the heavier 1 1/8" axles.

Production wise I can't give you any specific numbers, but as a rule the 417-8 seems to be found much less often than the Automatic counterpart. Honestly the plain '85 seems less common than the electric lift equipped '86 variant. The replacement 418-8 is even tougher to come by from what I've observed.

Price like anything else comes down to what your willing to pay. We picked up this '86 about 3 years ago for $800 with a 48" SD and 42" thrower. Probably a little pricey for most, but I was after this model in particular.

4178.jpg

stevebo

Guys,

Great info Thanks!! I can get this one for around $600. I do not understand how the electric lift works. This must be the 86 (that is what the seller thinks it is). He said that he had a valve job done about 2 years ago. I verified via spec # (over 24300) that this is a series II. I am waiting to talk to the owner a little more about the history etc. It seams that the KT17 was just not a good design I or II. Dustin, you mentioned the Kohler 18. Did you say that is a different design? Thnaks again- :hide: :D

stevebo

Duane,

When did this one sell ?? How do you know it sold for $500. Did you buy it? That is up near you right? Thanks- steve

baerpath

Emailed ya Steve :hide: