TLH

Ignition Switch

TLH

Hey all.  Just bought a Wheel Horse and it needs an ignition switch.  Problem is I don't know the year or model.  Can someone help me out?

Sorry, the picture didn't post. I'll try again.

Ok, well I guess the first question is "How do I load pictures?"

Edited by TLH

953 nut

:WRS:  Save the picture to your computer, at the lower left you will see "choose Files... , click on it and it will give you the opportunity to locate your file. It will load up then click on the + and it will attach. Some :wh: have an ID tag on the riser that holds the steering column, others have a sticker with model number located on the fender pan under the seat.

TLH

WheelHorse2.jpgThanks, 953 nut.  I tried that but am getting an error message.  The file is only 4.5 MB so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'll keep trying.

I think it worked from my phone. 

101.jpeg

Edited by TLH
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Get down and look up under the dash housing at the top of the flat panel for the ID plate. Should be a model number and serial number on it.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

Since you have a starter/generator you will need a switch like the ColeHersee 95521B, there is one on Ebay for $ 38.50 right now.

• Like 1

TLH

Thanks a ton, Richard.

KC9KAS

@TLH :WRS:

TLH

Thanks to Garry, I was able to find the model with ease.  Turns out it's a 1076, but the hood decals don't seem to match any other pics of 1076's I've found.  At any rate, I found a Cole Hersee 95221-b switch (thanks Richard) at PartDeal.com for $32 including shipping.  Looking forward to getting it installed.  I'll let you know how it goes.

TLH

New ignition switch should be here tomorrow for my 1076, but the cables to/from the switch are toast.  Does anyone know what gauge wire I should have from the battery to the switch, and from the switch to the starter?  The current replacements are different sizes and I don't trust they are correct.  Also, the manual calls out black cables for the positives.  Is this correct for the era?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

gwest_ca

Wire gauges are illustrated in this old Kohler manual in the starter/generator section. It shows a starter solenoid you likely don't have but the wire gauge requirements should be the same. If you added a solenoid it would greatly extend the life of the ignition switch.

Garry

• Like 1

TLH

Thanks, Garry.  Again, exactly what I needed.  I'll look into adding a solenoid even though I've already bought the Cole-Hersee 70 amp switch.  I assume standard fender-mount Ford style solenoid would be the way to go.

pfrederi

These work well and are cheap...surpluscenter.com     you only use the one small terminal one on the switch side of the diagram

sol1.JPG

sol2.JPG

• Like 1