russellmc301

project Jr.

953 nut

@achto is right on the money (except I use 600 wet and dry to wet sand, just my thing). The brand you use will depend on what your auto finisher's supplier caries, the important thing is cleanliness, preparation and consistency. Buy all of your products from the same source to ensure compatibility. The person behind the counter wants to have your project turn out well so ask questions. Use an automotive quality product and practice on some scrap material before you shoot primer and finish material on your :wh:.

Achto

Sorry, one thing I forgot to mention. I use the Vansickle acrylic enamel only. They make different types of paint but the acrylic enamel is the easiest to work with and has the best finish and dry times.

953 nut
6 minutes ago, achto said:

one thing I forgot to mention.

That is why you want to buy at a quality supplier and ask questions where you buy your materials, we all forget a detail or two.

russellmc301

alright so i think i will go with the sem self eching and primer. the sad part is i have to geter from walmart and i'm sure they don't have painting experts. 

now i need to figure out a good top coat, I have some rusteuleum regal red now left from rusty. i should get better paint for Jr.?

russellmc301

Is there really a diffence in high build and just plain ecthing?

953 nut
9 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

sad part is i have to geter from walmart

When you consider the amount of work you will be investing in the restoration of your :wh: it would be a shame to use inferior materials to finish it. If you expect good results you must use good products. The total cost may be a hundred dollars different but the results will be worth it.

RedRanger
48 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

Is there really a diffence in high build and just plain ecthing?

Yes.  Two different products for two different purposes.

russellmc301

there is echting high build and just plan echting.

alright, the reason i would be buying it from walmart is is one of my local places that sells it. i would plan on buying it form eastwood but the thing is i dont need a gallon of erethane. i could get a quart from walmart. but that is true walmart is know for it crap.

so that means i should get the paint from east wood also, the thing is i don't need a gallon of regal red to paint it, i think.

so is there a place where i can get the same quaility paint but in smaller cans?

Edited by russellmc301

953 nut

I don't buy everything from Eastwood, if you have a Sherwin-Williams, NAPA or other good auto parts store that sells auto paint and finishing supplies talk to them. I live in a rater remote area and it is over an hour round trip to the NAPA store and over three hour round trip to a good auto finisher's supply house so mail order works best for me. The owner of a body shop attends my church and has mixed the occasional quart of urethane paint for me, you could try that route if needed.  

russellmc301

Well I have all 3 of those and my dad gets a contractors dicount from Sherwin- Wiliams. Next time my dad goes and picks up and order I'll go along and see what they have. I might also go to Napa and look since it is a 5 minute drive. The self eching paint seems like a must have so i might get it from eastwood. Thanks for the help

• Like 1

953 nut

I think NAPA has the etching primer also.

russellmc301

IMG_0980.JPG

Is the medal clean enought or should i get the pits clean also?

I think they do too, they have a Masive selection of paints, i have catalog from early 80's and it's 6inchs thick:)

Achto

The cleaner the better. Every step you take prepping will effect the next step you take. If some rust is left behind this is where self etching really comes in to play, the high zinc content in most self etching primers helps to keep the rust at bay.

If you have a Napa near by that mixes paint it could be the place for one stop shopping on this project.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

WHX??

Going to stay out of the paint reccomendations.. painter I'm not..rattle cans I get more on myself than the tractor :lol:....sides Dan @achto is close enough I can take my paint to him!  Just chiming  in to follow your progress Russell & ask are you going/need  to go through the tranny?

russellmc301

I don't think so the tranny seems to be in good enough shape.

how much you think it would cost me to go to napa and get all the stuff?

Achto
40 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

how much you think it would cost me to go to napa and get all the stuff?

Truthfully there are too many variables to answer that question. A lot depends on the grade of every thing. They used to offer a generic brand for primers, but its been a while since a bought paint there. Their normal brand of paint is Martin Senior, if they still make an acrylic enamel I would suggest using that for your top coat. Should be no need for a clear coat. Best suggestion is stop in and price every thing out.

2 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

:lol:....sides Dan @achto is close enough I can take my paint to him!

Would be more than happy to help you out in that department.

• Like 1

russellmc301

The person im doing it with has some left over enamel primer and other supplies we will use up, the primer is ppg and he said it will work so thats a huge plus.

953 nut
11 hours ago, achto said:

If some rust is left behind this is where self etching really comes in to play, the high zinc content in most self etching primers helps to keep the rust at bay

32 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

some left over enamel primer

Start with the self etching primer! It is the foundation your finish will be built on. You can use the enamel primer over the self etching to achieve a smooth finish. If you were building a house you wouldn't want to skimp on the foundation; same thing with your finish.

russellmc301

i was still planning useing eching first still i just need to go to napa and see what they have.

my dad said we may have to get new since the formal may have changed, also is spraying medal like spraying wood with laquer?

my list is self ectching then some type of enamel or somthing else good, then a good regal red top coat.

Edited by russellmc301
  • Like 1

russellmc301

IMG_0989.JPG

toke the engine off and now useing the magic wire on drill and the gasket scaper to peel away the paint to get ready for sanding.

Achto

If they don't have regal red the early lnternational Harvester red is real close.

• Like 1

russellmc301

will gear box cover form a 36in fit on the suburban deck?

russellmc301

tommarow i will be going to napa to see if they sell paint and if they do price stuff out.

russellmc301

IMG_1024.JPGIMG_1026.JPG

making progress i still need to get to napa, tommarow is the day.

do you think the metal is clean enough?

• Like 2

russellmc301

does anyone have the governer linkage for the K-91 we have the arm on the block but we need the rest.

we also washed all the grease off the frame, nothing like a full servicing car being your neighbor to the shop.