1031d

953 drive belt problems

1031d

Recently bought a 953 and got it running.  If you push the clutch down the transmission belt won't stop.  Has a green Gates belt on it.  Belt is the right length, idler pulley holds it tight and releases about the same as our 1054 but the only way to shift is to put your heel on the drive belt (cover removed).  Is there something I'm missing?  Is that green belt too sticky?  Also what's odd to me is the drive pulley wobbles a little but the hydraulic pump pulley doesn't.  Like the tractor but seem to have a bunch of stupid little problems, it came home without spark plug threads!

953 nut

:WRS:    Remove the belt cover from the 1054 and look at both. On the engine there should be a 3/16" bent wire device above the belt, be sure the 953 one is adjusted the same. Your cloth covered belt is fine!  The idler pulley will have a metal device coming from behind the pulley that will "capture" the belt when the clutch is depressed; be sure it is rotated forward so as you push in the clutch it will contact the belt. The photo here is from another person who had this problem. Back off the bolt on the idler a turn, rotate the arm forward and tighten it. Hope this helps and, :wwp:

ideler.JPG

• Like 4

gwest_ca

The belt cover must be in place for the clutch to work also. When the clutch is pushed down the slack created needs to land on the bottom lip of the guard. This in turn leaves slack for the drive pulley. if the lip is not there the belt hangs on the drive and driven pulleys so it can't slip.

Garry

• Like 5

953 nut

As with nearly everything in the :wh: family, there is an exception. The 953/1054 have an angel iron rail installed below the belt, but it must be there. The belt guard is a good thing too.

Edited by 953 nut
Fat finger
  • Like 2

Justy37

The guard helps but the angle iron at the bottom is very important. When you push the clutch/brake, it puts slack in the belt. The belt rests on the angle iron guard at the bottom.

Edited by Justy37

1031d

Thanks guys, I'm going to look at the location of the idler guide this morning.  The bent wire guide when we got it was between the hydraulic pump and trans drive belt and bent up so I fixed it to look like the 1054.  Yes, the lower angle iron belt guide is there also.  They seem to be some pretty stout tractors.  The 1054 came home with a broken differential because the axle needle bearing was toast, but it's all rebuilt now.  953 rear end seems good.  Haven't had much seat time on it because I had to find another cylinder head first.  Starter generator is also a POS, needs brushes and bearings, and the key switch was literally rusted off

Edited by 1031d

Texas Todd
On 5/30/2016 at 8:47 AM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:    Remove the belt cover from the 1054 and look at both. On the engine there should be a 3/16" bent wire device above the belt, be sure the 953 one is adjusted the same. Your cloth covered belt is fine!  The idler pulley will have a metal device coming from behind the pulley that will "capture" the belt when the clutch is depressed; be sure it is rotated forward so as you push in the clutch it will contact the belt. The photo here is from another person who had this problem. Back off the bolt on the idler a turn, rotate the arm forward and tighten it. Hope this helps and, :wwp:

ideler.JPG

Are you saying that the metal device should be rotated forward where you drew the yellow square?

I can;t locate the belt on my 1056 and have one on order. I had to re-weld the angle bracket where your hex fix is in the picture. My top mount had to be fabbed and is juet behind the pulley.  When releasing the pedal, the pulley bangs against the guard.  I wasn't sure if the belt would hold it down to prevent that or not.

20160801_142140_resized.jpg

I don't see a bent wire contraption nor can see where it would be installed.

It appears to me the belt would have to hold the pulley at about this position to prevent the pulley from hitting the belt guard.  The silver screw is the fab made for the top mounting bolt.

And yes, that scratch before I got the cotter pin in place led to a little #$%^&.

20160801_142224_resized.jpg

953 nut

The reason the tab should be rotated forward is to capture the belt as the clutch is depressed and the idler moves toward the engine.

4 hours ago, HD-Horse said:

don't see a bent wire contraption nor can see where it would be installed.

This mounts on the engine above the drive belt to keep it from jumping off the pulley. 

Texas Todd

Any chance of a picture of it? Also a properly positioned tab? If it is inded the yellow square that was drawn in the picture above, i understand that. I guess that would prevent the pulley from hitting the belt guard as well.

Thanks!

Edited by HD-Horse