BenTheWheelHorseMan

Starter generator woes

BenTheWheelHorseMan

I have a cub cadet 104 that I bought earlier in the year. It started smoking from the starter generator. I pulled it apart and a field coil had its insulation all burnt off. I bought new field coils but have learned that you need a special tool to remove and re install the pole shoe screws. Does anybody have a way to remove them sans the special tool. There is no starter repair shop near me so I would really appreciate any tactics that have worked for you. I also have extra screws so it is ok if I mess up the stock ones. The new ones are Phillips however so I'm not sure if I can get them with a screwdriver or not.

BenTheWheelHorseMan

One thought that I have is using a cold chisel put in the drill press for down pressure. Then take a pipe wrench and turn it until the screw breaks loose, then use a smaller screwdriver. Does anybody think that will work?

• Like 1

JPWH

If you can keep the starter from rolling it would be worth a try.

BenTheWheelHorseMan
10 minutes ago, JPWH said:

If you can keep the starter from rolling it would be worth a try.

Yeah, my biggest worry is if the chisel will fit in the chuck on the drill press.

BenTheWheelHorseMan

Everything fit. It took a lot of down pressure, but you can just brace one hand against the starter and turn a big pipe wrench with the other. All in all I am happy to say I believe I have found a good non destructive way to remove pole shoe screws.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I sure would like to see a couple of pictures of what you are talking about.  :)

prondzy

Steve , minus the pictures I think he is talking about removing the 2 big screws that hold the field windings to the outside case. If you look at the starter/generator on your tractors you will see the big flathead screws I'm talking about.

BenTheWheelHorseMan
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I sure would like to see a couple of pictures of what you are talking about.  :)

I will have to buy a membership here real quick but I will for sure put up some pics.

3 hours ago, prondzy said:

Steve , minus the pictures I think he is talking about removing the 2 big screws that hold the field windings to the outside case. If you look at the starter/generator on your tractors you will see the big flathead screws I'm talking about.

You hit the nail on the head prondzy.

• Like 1

squonk

I've used the hand impact (hit the end with a hammer) style driver on those. You have to use a #3 straight bit with it.Those critters are tight, The screw heads are beveled. I have seen some with a # 3 phillips head. :(

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

JPWH

Good to know. I did not have to take mine out but now I know how if I do. :thanks:

dclarke
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I've used the hand impact (hit the end with a hammer) style driver on those. You have to use a #3 straight bit with it.Those critters are tight, The screw heads are beveled. I have seen some with a # 3 phillips head. :(

That hand impact should work for you, I always used a center punch and hammer to loosen the old screws and the impact driver to tighten the new screws. Some times the armature will rub on the pole shoes when you reassemble it, if that happens just give the case a couple good whacks with a hammer, close to the screws (with the armature out and the case in the vice) and retighten the pole shoe screws. 

• Like 1