Harley Schlinger

Hydrostatic Transmission Transaxle stopped working

Harley Schlinger

I have a 1974 Wheel Horse 160C Hydro. 16 HP Tractor that I perched from a guy had everything working just fine have been using it for over a month now and yesterday I started it up and went over to my Friends place with it and shout it off  and when I started it the Transmission will not work it is a Hydrostatic Transmission Transaxle it is like the pump just quit the lift cylinder will not work nothing oils is full new filter and new oil, so is there a bypass valve or something I am over looking that just got stuck or would the pump just go out like that?????

it is a

1974 Wheel Horse 160C Hydro. 16 HP

Tractor Model # 1  0480 9

Serial # 1012329

Engine Model # K341S

Spec. # 71128S

Serial # 5301747

Hydro-static Transmission Trans-axle

Model # 90  1140

Serial # 03-1P   364212

daveoman1966

unlikely that the pump would suddenly quit.  You MAY have a linkage problem where the cam and cam follower are not working correctly.  OR... it MAY have separated and broke the cam  plate, due to a broken trans mission mounting plate.  That would allow the tractor to flex in the middle and break the nylon cam. Also look at the pump pulley...is it splined or use a woodruff key.  If the latter, maybe the key sheared off.   

953 nut

Is the belt still there? How about the engage/disengage lever position?

can whlvr

good advice above,they do just quit working,mine did,no warning,no sounds,just quit workin

gwest_ca

Service manual has a diagnosis procedure in part 1

Garry

KC9KAS

pfrederi

If the lift cylinder will not work it is not likely to be the cam plate...more likely a belt issue or the input pulley has started slipping on the pump shaft....