62WheelHorse

K301 swap

62WheelHorse

Hi all, 

I've been on the hunt for a charger 12 and found one in really good shape except for its previous owner said the engine was blown. Had plans to machine and rebuild but after inspecting it further it has a few cracks in the block. 

On a side note I wasn't upset as I actually traded an old simplicity and got paid a couple hundred bucks on top of that so I started out ahead on that end

I called a local friend/dealer and picked up another k301 but this one came off a gravely (it was a rear mounted hang on) it runs fine I might add. 

Now for for my questions... I have measured everything between the two and they match well but I'm curious to know if anyone has any input, opinions or tips for the pto side. If you look in the pictures the gravely has a step and the WH does not. I assume the blocks are the same except the gravely was machined for obvious mounting reasons...??  Is it possible to just buy seals and run it like this? I have access to a few machines and could make a ring to make things flush or could use bushings also, I say this as I need to do something to be able to engage the pto clutch. That is if this motor will work. 

Also, can anyone tell me if this looks to be the original lighter style? It would be really cool if it is the same style and it was still with the tractor after all these years!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

pfrederi

Yes that is an original style lighter.

Cranks look teh same to me the step on your old one is just dirty.  Look up the Spec #s for each engine on Kohler engines parts page. that will tell you a lot about similarities diifferences