mikekot3

Hello

I want to buy the seat mentioned in Martin Howard's 416 adventures. I tried to contact him but he is not able to receive emails through red square.

I have a 1993 WH 416-8 tractor. He used a KM UNIPRO 123 seat from www.turfseats.com

Which seat switch do I use on the replacement seat? My used my FLUKE 88 dvom in auto ranging mode to test the original seat switch. With the

seat switch disconnected I get a ohm reading and O.L when I sit on the seat. I am thinking that tells me

that the seat is Normally OPEN.  Am I correct in this? Did the KM seat switch come with a pigtail for wire it up?

If not how do I install the switch? Where did you get the seat rubber bumpers for the swing up seat base? I believe they were black or grey.

Also I installed a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine swap kit from small engine warehouse.

The hour meter does not work any more after replacing the swapped in engine. I was thinking that a aftermarket hour meter/tach from esitest.com would

work. http://esitest.com/329.html

My other question is that I can only start the tractor by turning the key and also turning the light switch ON to engage

the starter motor.  I am thinking one of the power wires in the white AMP engine harness connector is in the wrong pin position as I had to

replace the connector.

Please advise,

Michael Kotarba

mkotarba@hotmail.com

Edited by mikekot3
typo

Don1977

We need pictures of that 423-8. Sorry I can't help you with the wiring.

gwest_ca

Here is the detailed wiring diagram but it has a mistake. It shows battery point and condenser ignition in the "Spark Circuit" diagram which is not correct for the original motor.

The ignition on the B&S engine is self-powered and the lone ignition wire is simply grounded to shut the engine OFF. Do not allow any battery power into that ignition wire - it will burn up the coil.

No doubt you have replaced the igntion switch for one designed for magneto ignition. Depending on the switch used you may have to use the accessory terminal to power the hourmeter and other gauges. 

Garry

• Like 2

mikekot3

Hello Gary,

In regards to the B & S engine the hour meter I am considering is self powered by a quarter sized battery. Should I not connect to the coil ignition wire?

I have not changed the ignition switch at all prior to and after the engine swap.

gwest_ca

I believe those tachs have a wire that gets wrapped around the spark plug wire - yes? That's OK.

I'm talking about the small wire that comes from under the metal tinwork probably with the stator wires for charging. That is the one that gets grounded to shut the engine OFF. Not connected the ignition works.

What is the model number and serial number of your tractor? The original Onan engine should have had battery ignition.

Garry

mikekot3

Hello Gwest,

Here is a picture of the ESI tachometer and hour meter . It appears it taps into a circuit and not a inductive probe. My tractor is a WH 416-8 which had a onan p216 engine. The model is 73420 and the serial number is 5900434. I have not found a schematic for the 1994 416 tractor. I did find one for 1991 model year 416.

Most diagrams I am used to mark the switch as N.O. normally open or Normally closed N.C. The diagram does not show that I believe.

Thank you for your advice.

Mike

esi tach hour meter.jpg

gwest_ca

Your tractor is a 1995 model. Here is the operator manual

Here is a good detailed wiring manual. It is the same file I linked you to earlier if you downloaded it.

Garry

953 nut
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I'm talking about the small wire that comes from under the metal tinwork probably with the stator wires for charging. That is the one that gets grounded to shut the engine OFF.

Gary, the ignition shut-off wire may be connected to the throttle control plate depending on the application that the B&S came from. Lots or aftermarket motors have the kill switch tied to throttle function.

mikekot3

Hello Gary and Richard,

Thank you very much for the feed back on My Wheel horse tractor. I assume since the onan engine sticker said made in 1993 that was the year the wheel horse was made also.

You folks are a great resource for knowledge for Wheel horse equipment.

Edited by mikekot3

mikekot3

Hello Gary,

The link for the operator manual seems to be broken.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

gwest_ca
15 hours ago, mikekot3 said:

Hello Gary,

The link for the operator manual seems to be broken.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Sorry about that. Try it now.

Garry