psalms83:18

can i get some identification please

thanks 953 nut

Synopsis:

the front hood is rotted completely at the base,and cut in a few spots, the tranny is frozen, the engine is frozen, front wheel axle shaft bar that holds the wheel have been modified with threaded pipe, steering wheel has been re welded horribly wrong and probably unsalvageable seat pan is being held up by a rotted 2x4 probably for good reason,

rear fenders solid, possibly original engine, frame straight, rims fair, shifter moves, wheels move.....hhhmmmm she sais wheel horse on the side so with some change of fluids and a battery she will probably start RIGHT UP!!:auto-swerve::auto-layrubber:

• Like 2

953 nut
24 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

front hood is rotted completely at the base,and cut in a few spots, the tranny is frozen, the engine is frozen, front wheel axle shaft bar that holds the wheel have been modified with threaded pipe, steering wheel has been re welded horribly wrong and probably unsalvageable seat pan is being held up by a rotted 2x4

But, other than that it is perfect.  :ychain:

27 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

possibly original engine

Should be a Kohler K-91.

• Like 3

CasualObserver

That's one of the earlier 400 models before they started building the 550. There's no punched hole in the hood's dash for the 550's switch. After they started that, the 400s have a hole with a plug in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

That's one of the earlier 400 models before they started building the 550. There's no punched hole in the hood's dash for the 550's switch. After they started that, the 400s have a hole with a plug in it.

so my hood is little more rare? Its worth rebuilding?? I was just considering buying another suburban hood and dropping it on.

953 nut
4 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

Its worth rebuilding??

The fact that it is an early production 400 is more of a bragging point than a bargaining point. If you are good at body work I think it would be nice to save it, show some before and after photos and be proud of your accomplishment. If not, save the old one as a wall hanger and find a good hood to replace it.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

I tried finding in the forums and manuals and pics of the proper mowing deck and how it attaches to the 400 suburban but found nothing...anybody able to send me pics of how there deck attaches to the tractor??

gwest_ca

This should be the correct manual

Garry

• Like 1

Racinbob
On 5/8/2016 at 11:38 AM, psalms83:18 said:

very much appreciated everyone.

I'm sure my dad is interested in a hood ornament mower deck and plow blade for the long/short frames. And we might have an extra frame that needs some work we could trade out towards something....preferably in the NH vt ma me area?

but she runs around the yard and I'm not familiar with the manuals,...have only had auto so far....we have to turn the throttle ALL the way down just to get it in any gears? Typical?

Along with having the belt guard on the tabs must be adjusted properly in order to stop the belt. They are at the front of the guard on the top or bottom or both and need to be no more than about 1/8" from the belt. As already mentioned, definitely a 1045. The steering wheel is not Wheel Horse. :)