psalms83:18

can i get some identification please

thank you everyone and good to have something to write about....its been awhile......

my dad just bought this machine and I'm hoping its not a ranger but we are thinking 1045 series 905 or similar.

The grooved fenders are my concern. I like the smooth arch fender style better. And there is no gas cap through the hood which I believe was ranger style.

thanks for your help identifying it.

WP_20160507_13_32_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20160507_13_32_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20160507_13_32_58_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

280 and 3 plow frames and 1 blade

runs good though little floppy in the front end.

pretty sure its gonna be a restore like crappos dual rear wheels

Sparky

Looks like a 1045 to me......not sure about the grooved fenders. Have you looked in the picture gallery here at RedSquare?

Mike.....

your right....sometimes the smallest push helps the most.

it does look like a 1045ish

but where would the serial numbers be so I would know what model or style or year... If on the engine how do I know if that engines original?

953 nut

Take a look for the transmission number, 605/655 would have the 5049 trans axle; 1045 would be a 5025. The steering wheel may be your biggest clue, know it was only used on a limited basis, but can't remember on what.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

Shynon
30 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

but where would the serial numbers be

IMG_5713.JPG

• Like 1

wallfish

Glad to see somebody finally grabbed that one! It was posted for a long time and I was tempted many times but just don't have the room for it.

The smooth style fenders are an earlier style like RJ and suburbans. That style on there is on my 654 and started with the 62 tractors I believe. 701 ?? had braces to the fenders from the toolbox. The hood should not have a hole in it for the tank, that was the round hoods.

If it is a 1045, that was the mix of round hood style rear and square hood front. Probably produced to use up excess inventory of parts. Round hoods stopped in 64 and square hoods started in 65 and the other 1965s like 655, 855, 1055 ect. had a square style fender

• Like 3

very much appreciated everyone.

I'm sure my dad is interested in a hood ornament mower deck and plow blade for the long/short frames. And we might have an extra frame that needs some work we could trade out towards something....preferably in the NH vt ma me area?

but she runs around the yard and I'm not familiar with the manuals,...have only had auto so far....we have to turn the throttle ALL the way down just to get it in any gears? Typical?

ok this came off the deck lever area

WP_20160508_11_43_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160508_11_52_33_Pro.jpg

this one came off the engineWP_20160508_11_42_02_Pro.jpg

and this one off the tranny....not sure yet what all this is...will dig and see what i can find thanks guys.

WP_20160508_11_49_11_Pro.jpg

stevasaurus

On the transmission, you are not going to be able to tell the difference between a #5025 and a #5049 without opening up the trans...they are basically the same transmission.  The only numbers you will find on the trans is the casting number (tells what day and year it was cast) and maybe the part number for each side.  Neither one will help you figure out what you have.  I think the steering wheel is going to be the key here.  :)  What engine is on there, and what are the numbers??

wallfish
37 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

.we have to turn the throttle ALL the way down just to get it in any gears? Typical?

Not typical

The belt guard must be installed.

You will need to inspect why the belt is continuing to turn when the pedal is pushed. The belt needs to stop spinning when changing gears or they will grind and the RPM of the engine shouldn't matter. Search "grinding gears" on here and you should find some solutions

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

On the transmission, you are not going to be able to tell the difference between a #5025 and a #5049 without opening up the trans...they are basically the same transmission.  The only numbers you will find on the trans is the casting number (tells what day and year it was cast) and maybe the part number for each side.  Neither one will help you figure out what you have.  I think the steering wheel is going to be the key here.  :)  What engine is on there, and what are the numbers??

I put a pic of the engines serial above...

I read somewhere this guy has a compilation of serial numbers from a number ""near the shifter"" that can tell the year it was made batch etc... He was very knowledgeable but on a different site

stevasaurus

That #2274 on the quadrant is the WH part number.  The engine numbers help a little.  the #46219A is the spec number for the K241AS Kohler that was only used in the 1045, 1055 and 1075 horses.  It is starting to look like a 1045.  This manual for the 1045 from 1964 tells how to adjust your belt guard to stop the grinding.  Here is the link.  :)

For the number on your casting...

2008_0404LANE10003.JPG

This one has a tag  "K11%0.  It works like this...K is the month (and you skip the letter "I"...because it looks like a 1).  So "K" = 10th month...October.  11 is the day of that month.  The 0 is 1960.  So K11%0 = October 11, 1960.  :)   I think that the only thing you could draw from this is...this case did not come with a 1958/9 RJ, but it could have come on a 1961 Suburban.

• Like 4

so not having cleaned up this tranny tag yet..would u think its a D8%5....april 8 1965??

and thanks all for the link for the belt...LOL my dad has been posting a few things and questions on facebook and not getting half as good replies and info. Muhaha :rs::rs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Glad to see somebody finally grabbed that one! It was posted for a long time...

...and, I see it still is.  :rolleyes:

00G0G_bVcTMkN1oLy_600x450.jpg

Facebook is no comparison...

to the real :wh: deal we have here on :rs:. 

Edited by AMC RULES

stevasaurus

Yep, April 8, 1965  :)   So it is probably not a 1964 Wheel Horse 1045.  Gotta be a 1965 Wheel Horse 1045.  :think:  On the other hand, the way Wheel Horse did things back then, it could very well be a 1964 Wheel Horse 1045 put together in 1965.

gwest_ca

According to Toro and service bulletin 301e the 1046 used a K241S-46219a but is likely a typo and should be K241AS-46219a. A different oil pan should have generated a different spec number.

Garry

• Like 1

nhmikel

So....how many HP engine?

Sparky
3 hours ago, nhmikel said:

So....how many HP engine?

10hp.

Mike........

Retired Wrencher
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, Sparky said:

Looks like a 1045 to me......not sure about the grooved fenders. Have you looked in the picture gallery here at RedSquare?

Mike.....

I think what Mike said a 65 nor 66 model with a funky add on in the rear. Not sure what the engine is by the pick`s.

ok so same topic so I kept it in this thread. I just picked up my first rusted up nut roaster.say that ten times fast!!

I got some pics and I'm thinking either rj or ranger...

WP_20160517_17_30_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20160517_17_30_55_Pro.jpg

k28-9 I believe is what's on the tranny tag next to the shifter...cant see anything else till I clean her up alittle

WP_20160517_17_31_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20160517_17_31_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20160517_17_32_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20160517_17_36_56_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

ahhh local pics makes me think suburban cause of hood having the lines down the top and the front axle not being a straight bar

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 minutes ago, psalms83:18 said:

ahhh local pics makes me think suburban cause of hood having the lines down the top and the front axle not being a straight bar

I'm thinking the same thing 

953 nut

You have a 1960 Suburban 400, looks good.  :text-coolphotos:

wallfish

:text-yeahthat: