zekepiks

cracked leaking case

zekepiks

I need help with the hydro unit of my 1976 c160 with hydro lift, the machined surface where the oil filter mounts is cracked and leaks oil,. quite a bit actually, I would like to   find another unit that would fit and just swap them out but I don't know if all the transmissions they used on the c160's were bigger or what. I guess what I need is someone to tell me what I can use. thanks in advance  Skip

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

I'm sure by tomorrow this time you will have lots of info to help you in your quest.   Good luck and stay tuned. B)

pfrederi

What is teh model number of your tractor.  Over time the Sundstrands changed a bit...e.g. physical brakes, hydro gear vs piston to piston...  Would make a difference in what you need.  also look for a metal tag on the hydro  it will have a Sunstrand Model ##

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Here is the Auto trans gearbox.  This is from a C series..... C-160 .  It is cast iron and in great considition.  You could swap this onto your tractror. 

For further details...send me an off-site email.  My direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net

901137-20.jpg

901137-21a.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3

pfrederi

Depending on the crack size you could "V"it with a dremel and carbide bit.  The fill it with JB Weld and sand it smooth in the mating surface area.  Would be worth a try to me before removing the hydro pump/motor, then splitting the transaxle case and swapping all the internals...

• Like 2

MWR
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Depending on the crack size you could "V"it with a dremel and carbide bit.  The fill it with JB Weld and sand it smooth in the mating surface area.  Would be worth a try to me before removing the hydro pump/motor, then splitting the transaxle case and swapping all the internals...

This could be worth a try.

Or maybe this approach  :)

"When my John Deere was leaking oil, I just added about a can of Stop Leak to the oil.  Made it pull even better and now it will almost move."

~  Signed "Satisfied Deere Customer"

• Like 1

zekepiks

thanks for all the ideas so far,  Pfrederi said it might be a good idea to put the tractor number on here, it's16kso2  10088  7067. haven't found the sunstrand number yet. again, thank

daveoman1966

The RIGHT SIDE trans case is part # 103636.  Here is the trans axle schematics for 71-16KS02...  and other schematics as well.

As noted earlier, I have this part in my shop.

https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=5253

gwest_ca
9 hours ago, zekepiks said:

thanks for all the ideas so far,  Pfrederi said it might be a good idea to put the tractor number on here, it's16kso2  10088  7067. haven't found the sunstrand number yet. again, thank

The 1st two digits of the model number was often printed on the ID plate and the rest was stamped. The print is sometimes faded or disappeared all together.

Model 61-16KS02 would be a 1976 model.

Model 71-16KS02 would be a 1977 model.

The 7067 is the Julian build date - 67th day of 1977 =  Tuesday March 08, 1977

There were often mistakes in the build date at the end of a calendar year (ie building 1977 models in 1976) but have never seem mistakes at the start of a calendar year. (ie building 1977 models in 1977)

Garry

• Like 1