WNYPCRepair

Welding on the tractor - bad?

WNYPCRepair

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this should be OK. 

I read somewhere, and then someone posted here that arc welding on the tractor would fry some electrical component. Regulator, maybe? 

Anyway, my question is, is it the same for MIG welding? Can I safely MIG weld right on the tractor?

• Like 1

Racinbob

It will be interesting to see what the welders have to say but I don't see why it would as long as the ground clamp was placed properly. :think:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Everything I am finding says unhook the battery and ground as close to weld as possible with bare metal. 

Of course, others say no problem. :)

WVHillbilly520H

Just my :twocents-02cents: unhooking the battery is a given but when at an exhaust shop they drive it up on the lift cut out the old and put on the new and weld without unhooking the battery without issues,it's the high frequency current from the AC/DC stick and MIG/TIG welding that causes the increased chance if ruining parts of the DC electrical system and or parts there of , Jeff.

bds1984

I don't think it matters what type of welding you do.  Stick and TIG welders can be AC/DC or just AC, MIG is either electrode positive or negative so I don't think the type of machine really matters: I've used singular welding powers supplies that function with MIG, TIG, or Stick.  If your machine has electronic gauges like the tach and fuel, I'd be inclined to un-hook them from the wiring just to be on the safe side.  Perhaps I am on the paranoid side but with how rare both of those gauges are, I don't want to risk frying them; I'm not as concerned about the volt meter or hour meter as those can be had relatively easy.

953 nut

Unhook and Remove the battery and fuel tank. Years back I knew of a welder who inadvertently struck a wire on a truck he was performing repairs on, it burned most of the wiring harness and caused the battery to explode. His leathers and helmet protected him from most of the battery acid, but if anyone had been near by it could have been a disaster.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

The current will take the path of least resistance.  So to prevent the unwanted weld current (any type...AC/DC, high or low freq., pos. or neg. ground) from passing thru any electrical components, electronic devices, wiring, and bearings, a good ground must be properly attached to the part that the arc will be struck on, and great care must be taken to prevent the accidental striking  of the arc on  any other parts

Having said all that, to be absolutely safe, remove the part from the tractor before welding..  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

bds1984
15 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The current will take the path of least resistance.  So to prevent the unwanted weld current (any type...AC/DC, high or low freq., pos. or neg. ground) from passing thru any electrical components, electronic devices, wiring, and bearings, a good ground must be properly attached to the part that the arc will be struck on, and great care must be taken to prevent the accidental striking  of the arc on  any other parts

Having said all that, to be absolutely safe, remove the part from the tractor before welding..  :twocents-02cents:

That's probably why muffler shops do not unhook the battery since the ground clamp is usually within two feet of where they're welding AND most muffler hangers have a rubber grommet/strap which would help isolate the electricity from flowing through critical components....

One thing that always gets me is people forget about welding near parts that have ball bearings, I've seen situations where axle bearings begin howling after some sort of weld was done on the axle or suspension nearby. 

I always remove the part from the machine unless it can't be, like adding a backing plate to where the transaxle mounts to the frame.  In that case, I removed the gauges from my 520 just to be safe. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Yes, I have seen bearings in bridge cranes destroyed by improper grounding.

WNYPCRepair

I'm not actually welding on the tractor, I have to weld the bucket onto the mounting flanges of the loader arms, and the easiest way to do it is with the loader attached.

oldredrider

I just finished welding up a crankshaft on a Horse. Ground cable attached to pto brake mount. I disconnected both posts on the battery. Starts and runs fine with no ill effects. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

Paul,

Just curious.What on the crank were you welding? Which engine series?JimAnderson

oldredrider

Jim, it's a Briggs 11hp on a GT-1142. Some yo yo had drilled holes on the crank to "help seat" the drive pulley set screws. The indentions were about 1/4" deep and they must have used a masonry bit with a hammer drill.  UGLY!

After filling the holes (3), I ground and filed them to radius. Works like a charm!

ClassicTractorProfessor

I always just unhook both cables on battery and keep my ground as close as possible to where I'm working with no ill effects...however if it is feasible I would always recommend removing the part before welding

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I welded on the l;oader with no problems. I put the ground right beside where I was welding and everything seems fine. I did learn overhead welding is no fun.

C-101plowerpower

unhook the battery, mate of mine fried the ecu of his dirttrack car welding in a rollcage

• Like 1

19richie66

I built two bumpers with them attached to the jeep(for fitting purposes), welded the axle pads and shock brackets on an axle swap while still attached to the jeep and had the exhaust replaced and it was welded on the jeep. Never had an issue and jeep electronics are picky.