formariz

RJ35 Bearing

WHX??
57 minutes ago, MWR said:

possible that Stevasaurus's middle name is "Bearing".

Among other names we have for him....:lol:

I would say the tool you have in the first picture without the live center. I am not a lathe pro by any stretch so I would try a couple of practice pieces first & if I wasn't comfortable doing it it would be on the first plane for buckrancher's offer. Looking at his work I bet he's got machining  skills that won't quit!  I do know it's a skill in its self to be able to grind the the just right cutting edge on carbon tool steel. Glad to see you have the guards for the back gears!

After looking at your pics some more would it be better to take the shoulders down in the cross tube so the bearings sit a little farther down in the tube or would that screw up alignment?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...if you want to practice, I could use a couple of different size arbors for tapping in bearings.  :)

• Like 2

MWR
3 hours ago, MWR said:

I've just been a member here a month or so, but from reading and watching his videos I've already determined it to be possible that Stevasaurus's middle name is "Bearing".

Perhaps Stevabearingsaurus or Stevathebearingguysaurus or Stevabearingbaronsaurus.

But you didn't hear that here.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

@MWR...don't you have some more Beachwood to roll down hills?  :ROTF:  Here, hold my Bourbon and watch this.  :)

• Like 3

formariz
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

OK...if you want to practice, I could use a couple of different size arbors for tapping in bearings.  :)

No problem, if I am successful I have a lot of stuff to boil if you know what I mean.;)

19 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

@MWR...don't you have some more Beachwood to roll down hills?  :ROTF:  Here, hold my Bourbon and watch this.  :)

You still sipping?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Cas...just let me know if you need any help sampling.  :occasion-xmas:

MWR

"Curses! If I can't get the Red Baron, I'll settle for the Red Square Bearing Guy"

snoopy%20deere_zpsavsctdes.jpg

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

I have a lathe just like that. You have to take light cuts or you will get a lot of chatter.

• Like 2

formariz

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegSo I cut the big metal blob from the weld and I am a little into the shaft but no sign of it releasing. Advice please.

• Like 1

squonk
On 4/22/2016 at 0:18 PM, MWR said:

Perhaps Stevabearingsaurus or Stevathebearingguysaurus or Stevabearingbaronsaurus.

But you didn't hear that here.

One thing about the Dino,He's not overbearing! :) :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

buckrancher

put it in a hyd press there should not be much holding it now

Brian

stevasaurus

Time to check the plumbing Cas.  :)  How is that lathe doing for you??    Where is Brian??

formariz
1 hour ago, buckrancher said:

put it in a hyd press there should not be much holding it now

Brian

Let's hear it for the Buckrancher. Success .image.jpeg

Now I just have to clean it up. Lathe worked great light cuts no chatter really solid.

• Like 5

formariz

Since there is no key way on that side of shaft would it be better to drill for a roll pin or to tap in a set screw? I am kind of reluctant about the set screw since if it loosens its a major job to get to it. I was also trying to avoid welding it again although it will be the stronger way to go. Were these always originally welded? It seems that this one has been fooled with before.

buckrancher

yes they were welded on :handgestures-thumbdown:

WHX??

I vote for 3/16th or even 1/4 roll pin with no keyway.

MWR
On 4/22/2016 at 2:52 PM, MWR said:

"Curses! If I can't get the Red Baron, I'll settle for the Red Square Bearing Guy"

snoopy%20deere_zpsavsctdes.jpg

Looks like "The Bearing Guy" is up to the  task at hand.

red%20baron_zpsfo9d8g3t.jpg

• Like 1

formariz

Getting to really enjoy this lathe and realize how useful it is. Cleaned out inside of sprocket , will be drilling a roll pin through it.image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3

WHX??

Agreed formariz, if I had one in my shop it would sit there most of the time but would be handy when needed. Nonetheless I see one at an auction, garage sale or whatever it might be coming home with me. 

formariz

Brian's idea worked great. It allowed me to use the bearing I already had and more importantly started me using the lathe . 

My gear case is basically ruined from multiple prior attempts at fixing drive system . Since I haven't been able to find a replacement I decided to adapt a  Bolens paw system to it . It actually works really smooth and accurate. I had actually made a separate piece with the nibs for it but opted for the Bolens retrofit until I find another cover.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Nice work Cas...that looks real nice.  :handgestures-thumbupright: