Pullstart

'05 Yamaha 660 Raptor

Pullstart

I bought this machine brand new in 2005, it's been sitting since 12-31-06 when I accidentally parked it in a swamp up north at my future wife's aunt and uncle's property.  Once they dragged me out and I went in to warm up, the cousins got it running and rode it around for a couple hours.  After that it sat for about a year and when I went to start it one of the intake valves stuck open and smucked the piston.  Last fall, about October or so I drove to the south eastern tip of IL and picked up a 10.5:1 replacement engine, ready to go.  As all toys go, it's been that long again since I did anything with it.  Well yesterday I got the bug up my butt to pull it into the garage and swap engines!  At about 12:30 this morning I had it ready to fire, just needed oil, coolant and a battery.  A trip to the parts store to order it all in and with any luck (cross your fingers!) I'll be putting around the yard with the kiddos after school today!

So, I was 21 when I last rode this thing... Silver Lake sand dunes, up north snowmobile trails, buddy's tracks... I wonder if now almost 10 years later I'll be able to suffer the pain I cause myself when I go back to my youth!

RedRanger

You're still a baby!  I took my 13 year old son to the motocross track a few weeks back.  He rode his cr125 and I rode our quad.  We rode for about 4 hours on and off.  I walked like I was 90 for the next 5 or 6 days.  Once I hit 40, I feel like I've aged at least 3 years each year.  I can't imagine how these age 60+ guys even manage to get out of bed each day.  :lol:

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I was pretty hard on myself in my teenage years and whatnot.  20-30 foot drops on my snowboard, stand up jetskis in lake Michigan 4-8 ft waves, riding in the dunes and tracks... I'm already paying for it!

• Like 1

Pullstart

It's alive!  I had to tune a bit more fuel on the needle adjustment of the main jet and of course overall clean the carbs but it starts better now than when it was new and just purrs!  I can't wait until tomorrow to go tear up some dirt then take my kids for a tamed down ride!  :auto-dirtbike:  I used to be able to catwalk it across an entire field, I wonder how long until I'll regain that talent?