Short Circuit

1973 14 Auto trans rebuild question

Short Circuit

In my ongoing rebuild of my 14 Auto trans, I found the parking brake pawl (or pall) is worn to not engage anymore. Can I substitute a pawl from one of those transmissions that use the "gear shaped" pawl with three teeth? And if so, does anyone out there have one they are willing to part with?

OR, should I just repair the one I have? 

56c80ba420a11_parkp(11).JPG.71c719005ec95bcf0f7516b7f01ba13a.JPG

pfrederi

The loop pawl you show as the one you have doesn't look worn at all to me.  Are you sure that is your problem and not the linkage that activates it??

This worn but I built it up with weld and ground it back to shape.

IMG_3306.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Short Circuit

The picture in my post was borrowed from this forum for examples. I should have said in the photo: "I have this STYLE". Mine is worn worse than the one shown in your photo.

I haven't gotten my transmission apart yet, but looking at it through the hole where the piston to piston drive unit mounts (which I did remove) shows the worn brake pawl. When the tractor was operational, the parking brake would not hold. I don't have the two brake versions in my photo.

Sorry about the confusion.

Edited by Short Circuit

oldredrider

It's a simple weld up repair. I've had several done at a machine shop for $15 each.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     About 15 minutes for any welder to cut and weld in a new piece of steel to restore that to new.