Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Identify an unknown brand

Curmudgeon

So last weekend as I was coming back from Traverse City in the snow and the wind, trucking along at an ungainly 35mph, and there was this chap out blowing snow from his driveway.

Although I only got a partial look, the garden tractor intrigued me.

Basic description that I can give is:

Orange

Snow cab and blower

The engine was mounted between the rear wheels, kind of low.

The crankshaft ran front to back. I know this because the grass screen on the flywheel was quite visible.

It sort of looked like an Onan twin, but could be about brand I suppose.

The hood was a standard, garden tractor type hood, sort of squarish, although there would obviously be no engine under it, UNLESS......... two? How cool would that be??

Anyone have any ideas?

What is? How it's basically made? I would assume (uh oh) the crank is connected directly to a transaxle. How efficient is that? But what about a clutch? Or is it hydrostatic?

Just seems like an interesting concept to me. Weight on the drive wheels, etc.

bell

Sounds like a Gravely to me... I saw one over the summer... Pretty neat looking machines. :hide:

Jim_M

Yup, that was a Gravely. I have a neighbor that collects them. It was a hydro.

They're reall a well built machine but the low/rear engine mounting has caused a lot of engine failures. Grass clippings get sucked in and clog everything, next thing you know you have no cooling.

CasualObserver

Yep, a Gravely. Did it look like this? Gravely made some of the greatest ever snow throwers. My in-laws have an 816 with the 44" blower, and man that thing RELOCATES snow in a hurry.

*user posted image*techi.gif:D :hide:

Curmudgeon

Jason,

The picture didn't show up. Could be my older browser............

Truthfully, make it a picture from the back as that was the best angle I saw it from.... LOL

Rollerman

Yep...sounds like a Gravely...engine in back...battery,electrics,hydraulics & fuel in front.

Never had a real good look at one in use?

I don't think the riders were a big seller in my area.

Attached Image

post-11-1229091508.jpg

Curmudgeon

That does look like it be the beast! Don't remember the mufflers, but have to consider the snow, the hood looks narrow, but then, have to consider the snow cab and only a quick sidelong glance at it.

Just by the looks, and the name in particular, it looks like it could be a real worker. Especially blowing snow. Heat of the engine right under your butt, snow cab keeping it around you, weight on drive wheels, steering still light even with the weight of a snowblower out front....... The theory is there at least.

Thanks guys! I knew the knowledge base was here to answer my curiosity. Given different circumstances, I might find myself in the market for one just because of their unique design.

CasualObserver

Sorry Dale... guess wherever I "borrowed" that picture from didn't want to share.

Try these, this is a Gravely G16 with a Kohler:

g16-3.jpgg16-2.jpg

g16-1.jpg

Nick

If you want a bit more information on the design this website has operator and repair manuals listed under the Riding Tractor section.

http://www.oldgravelys.net/docs/

linen beige

There was a very successful Gravely dealer here for several years. He did such good business Wheel Horse never quiet caught on. Hence there are Gravelys all over the place in this area but 'Horses are almost all the four legged furry kind. :hide:

TT

For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever seen an older Gravely with a hydrostat transmission. The early 4 wheeled "Commercial" models (yellow & white) used a planetary-geared hi/lo range transmission and were very slow. The newer 800/8000 (orange & white or all orange) models used a 4 speed with hi/lo range (for a true total of 8 speeds) and had forward and reverse clutches mounted on the sides of the transmission. (8 speeds in forward AND reverse! ! ! ! - Cool, huh?) These clutches were intended to be in or out - not slipped like a lot of the owners did. When these clutches wear out the parts are expensive to replace. (somewhere between $200 to $300 per assembly by now, I'm sure) They are activated by threaded rods with pinned clevis ends and the majority of them I have worked on are worn to the point of it sounding like a telephone ringing when they are idling. :hide:

Some models used an external pump for hydraulics - driven off the side of the transmission. The reservoir was under the hood just behind the gas tank. (my 8102 had a 5 gallon gas tank, but was still light in the nose) Others used an "armstrong" manual lift. :D

The engine bolts to the back of the transaxle and direct drives via a gear keyed to a short stepped crankshaft. Clutching is controlled by the "packs" on the sides of the transmission (as mentioned above) and the PTO shaft exits the lower front of the transaxle and is controlled be a sliding collar/gear/fork inside the transaxle. ( a great set-up, as long as it's working)

There is a lot of experience behind Gravely and they aren't really bad machines. You just need to have a super-sized wallet to buy and maintain them.

sodbuster

if anyone is intrested I know of two yellow and white gravely's that can be bought.both are parts tractors.located in independence kansas