DougsTractorShed

My 312-H

DougsTractorShed

Hello folks. Longtime lurker but finally get to make my first post. 

After quite awhile of looking around I found the perfect tractor and deal on my local Craigslist last week. It was a 312-H in good shape that was being sold by the original owner. When I showed up to check it out I was ecstatic and bought it on the spot. This tractor only has 600 hours on it and came with a plow (only used a handful of times), 37" mower deck, wheel weights, chains, and bagger. Also had several spare belts, blades and all the original manuals/paperwork. Ran the serial numbers and its a 1990. I got it home, gave it a good once over and shined it up.

The tractor cuts great and runs like a dream. My dad owns a 315-8 so its cool to have close to matching tractors, and I love the sound of that Kohler stroke. 

25594062384_5ce6a08ae6_b.jpg

25596143813_061ea1fd80_b.jpg

Anywho, outside of adjusting the mower the only thing I've found that needs some TLC is the parking brake. It currently does not engage and at the recommendation of some people from the Wheel Horse Junkies FB group I had the rear left off and found the adjustment bolt. Only problem is the bolt was just sitting there loose with nothing to screw it into. It would appear the assembly the adjustment bolt goes into is sheared off. Is there a good exploded parts view of a 300 series so I can figure out what I need? I was looking around on here but couldn't find one. Thanks!

Edited by thisdougsforu
  • Like 7

Pollack Pete

VERY nice tractor.Looks like brand new.Take good care of it.It will last you your lifetime.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Looks like you hit the mother load with tractor. Look in manual section there should be a view of the 300 series parts.

• Like 1

cleat

Here are a couple of pics of my 520HC parking brake if that helps at all.

As of Jan 17 2015 7.jpgAs of Jan 17 2015 8.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

:WRS:

Very nice 312! Perfect way to get yourself introduced to the Wheel Horse craze.

Mike....

• Like 1

DougsTractorShed

Thanks for the welcome everyone! 

And cleat, that picture really does say a thousand words. Looks like all I'm missing a nut & washer, which I've highlighted with a green arrow. That's just a standard 9/16 nut correct? Or does it have a flange? I can't really see from the picture.

{option}http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/thisdougsforu/tractor-parking-brake_zpsyeumykkc.jpg[/IMG]]

Edited by thisdougsforu
  • Like 2

cleat

Yes, just a standard 3/8 NC nyloc locking nut.

• Like 2

DougsTractorShed

You guys are awesome! Had a 3/8 nylon nut and washer in the hardware bins at work so I'll put it on and hopefully I'm good to go.

• Like 2

cleat

slammer302

Welcome to RS i was eyeing that sweet 312-H on craigslist. Glad it went to someone who will take care of it. I'm only a few hours away if you need anything send me a message

• Like 2

Blue Delta

That's a nice tractor, original seat even! if only in Australia did we have tractors of that condition. Also your rear tyres look oversize if so I would not be fitting chains to those.

• Like 1

Tankman

I can only say, "WOW!"

Great Horse but, started your WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction). :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Your twenty five year old :wh: looks like new, great find.     :WRS:

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

That is a work of art! I gotta get my 310 a set of hubcaps like that! Great score!!

• Like 1

Zeek

Nice tractor and you even got the hub caps :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

DougsTractorShed

Thanks folks. Yes, I LOVE the hubcabs. They were in pretty good shape already but using some polish/rush remover shined them up real nice. 

Glad you passed on it slammer! I was shocked to see it had been available for over a week. I had 

After getting the parking brake fixed this weekend the next order of business will be repair a small hole in the top of the mowing deck. A welder friend of mine is going to patch it up. It really needs to be cleaned as well so that's a good excuse for that. 

• Like 1

DougsTractorShed

Was doing some mowing this weekend and the right front steering link started to pop off where it connects from the knuckle to the steering assembly under the tractor. I kept popping it back on until but it would come off with almost any turn. I'm guessing the link is just work where it attached to the ball end screw? Looking at the schematics on exploded view trying to buy a new link it looks like the design is changed and it now actually attached versus popped onto a ball? Is this correct?

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Check out our RS member's, Wheelhorseman 1000,  store in the vendor section steering link ends. 

• Like 1

DougsTractorShed

Just an update as since I started this thread I replaced the stock tierods with WheelHorseMan1000's replacements (they are excellent!) and have since put about 20 hours on it. It's a blast to mow the lawn every week and the tractor runs great. I'm looking forward to when I can take the mower off and attach the blade for the winter! Great tractor, about as happy as I've been with a purchase

• Like 3

DougsTractorShed

Hey folks. funny I made this thread 6 years ago. I've put a couple hundred more hours on the 312 (and added 3 more Horses to the stable!) and it's time for real service on it, as for the last few seasons it's been starting tough. If it sits for a week, it's tough to fire without starting fluid and even then sometimes needs to be started a few times with it to actually run. Once it's running, it was fine. Until end of last season. A few times when cutting the engine would idle down and it would die. It would refire after sitting a bit, using more fluid. Also of note is that the tractor had been backfiring sometimes when shut down (I wouldn't be shutting it off from high throttle, either, it would be from low idle).

Anyways, I'm going to be getting it out of storage for service before the cutting season. I'm assuming my problem is fuel delivery and it needs the carb cleaned. A good friend also recommended going through the fuel line as well and probably replacing it. Outside of the obvious like a new plug, any other ideas what to look for here? 

• Like 1

Sparky

Replace the fuel shutoff and grommet that’s under the fuel tank, install all new fuel lines and add in (if you don’t already have one) an in-line fuel filter. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Here’s the fuel shutoff/filter that was in the tank of a 312-8 I had in my garage a few years ago. Hard starting tractor and would occasionally cut off like it was starving for fuel…and it was!!

C9BA6ADD-C0D2-4320-9B0C-DC7B37E90D23.jpeg

• Like 1

DougsTractorShed

Oh man, thanks for that. Before I bought the tractor in 2016 from the original owner, i believe he did let it set for a season and I bet i'll find something like that. Did you order a new one from a specific place or can i find them new still via Toro?

• Like 1

Sparky
1 hour ago, thisdougsforu said:

Did you order a new one from a specific place or can i find them new still via Toro?

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-WHEELHORSE-SHUT-OFF-GROMMET-HF983-1754353261/dp/B01L13M2BO

Not sure where I bought mine, I have a few tractors so I try to keep one in-stock at all times. 

• Like 2