pfrederi

Hydro Filter Historical question

pfrederi

Recently got an Electro 12.  The hydro filter was red and had wheel horse on it.  Wonder how long it has been on there.  Actually the ATF didn't look bad at all nor smell burned.

• Like 3

squonk

I got my 76 C160  about 6 yrs. ago. It had a red filter on it and from what I could tell, it looked original :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Phatboy

My dealer still uses wheel horse filters,, they are available threw toro..

squonk

Napa (wix) 1410 is a better filter. I cut a Toro filter open a few years back. Not impressed.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Just my :twocents-02cents: but I haven't had any problems yet with the TORO hydro filter in 18 years and 755 hrs, I tried the NAPA filter once in that time and again in my opinion/experience on my 520H the hydraulics/transaxle seemed sluggish after installing the NAPA filter,went back to the TORO and have been happy ever since, also since there "shouldn't" be anything to contaminate the hydro fluid ,like leaking carbs or combustion blowby, heavier filter media shouldn't be of concern, also if the hydro pump is working as should there shouldn't be concern for bursting either,but with being said I have seen Fram engine filters fail under far less pressures,Jeff.

shallowwatersailor

One of the advantages of the WIX/NAPA filter have are the flutes on the end which make it easier to remove. I have had to drive a screwdriver through three Wheel Horse/Toro filters to remove them on used tractors that I have bought because there is nothing to grip.

pfrederi

The Toro WH filters at my dealer say Toro above Wheel Horse and the filters are black.  What I was asking about was when did they stop using red filters that had no Toro markings.  i am thinking the Red filter only saying Wheel Horse (slanted printing) has been on the tractor a long time.  Toro bought Wheel horse in 1986  30 years ago

• Like 3

squonk

Paul,  have you taken the filter off yet? If you have it, could you cut it open and post pics? I'm curious to see if they made them better back then. The black one I cut open reminded me of a junk Fram

• Like 1

pfrederi

any particular way to cut it???

WHX??

NO don't listen Mike.... That would look cool sitting on the antique shelf in the barn.... 'pecially if its got the :wh: logo on it!!!

7 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

there is nothing to grip.

Not even with one of these John?

images.jpg

spin_prod_208523001.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

Cut it around the base near the lip. Just cut thru the shell to preserve the innards for inspection. 

see my pics

pfrederi

I will do that tomorrow'

shallowwatersailor
4 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

NO don't listen Mike.... That would look cool sitting on the antique shelf in the barn.... 'pecially if its got the :wh: logo on it!!!

images.jpg

spin_prod_208523001.jpg

On the last one I ended up bending the handle where it swivels on a brand new strap wrench. The 3 filters must have been put on dry as there isn't enough heat like an engine to "bake" them on. On a Classic Wheel Horse I usually take off the left rear wheel for better leverage, but on a 5xi it is underneath which doesn't leave much room to pivot the wrench.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Pictures of an old (pre-Toro) filter.

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

• Like 2

TDF5G
20 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

:text-yeahthat:

squonk

That's one nasty filter for having ATF run thru it. They made them better in the old days. That spring in the newer filter has been replaced by a bent piece of tin and there's less pleats nowadays also.