Gadget

Greetings from Cape Coma Florida

Gadget

Hi all,

Let me start by saying a belated thanks to you all for the help you have already given me. I have been looking at the site for over a year so I thought I should come out of the shadows.

I have a 244H (as of now), Bought it 7 years ago Craigslist, for $175.00. I struggled with carb issues for a while, nobody in this area is fond of working on Toro / Wheel Horse stuff, and when you say Onan... they look at you like you two heads. Anyway, got the carb sorted and it's run great ever since.

Unlike many of you, I don't have a farm, (although I grew up on a small one), just a normal residential lot with St Augustine grass. So why do I need a small tractor you ask? Why not just get a little Suzie Homemaker rider? Well there are two reasons. I use the tractor to move my boat from place to place. That you cannot do with your average big box riding mower. The other reason is.... I just want a tractor. It's the hit of the neighborhood.

So that said, I am looking at a 520H circa 1993 (not sure cause the Mod and Sr #s are obscured). Its a lotta tractor for my use, but, like I said, its what I want. Its at a local mower shop, I think he took it on trade. The owner is a little tough to deal with, he claims to have done some engine work (coil, regulator blah blah blah) but I am not so sure. For example, there is no evidence that any of the cowling or sheet metal has been removed. No matter, it is what it is, the thing runs great, 20 HP Onan I think.(sorry, no pictures) he want 650, I offered 500, he said he would think about it. I will call him back today and give him what he wants, cause I think its worth it. The deck is solid, the tires are like new, heck, even the lights and gauges work (mostly) the hydraulics seem good so what the heck, if he still has it, I'll buy it. I guess I can get a couple hundred for my 244.

I will post some pictures of both if I get the 520. In the meantime, if anyone would care to comment and let me know what if any things that I should beware of on that model and year I would appreciate knowing them. 

I looked at the member map, and I guess me and only one other guy are the only ones carrying the flag for this kind of equipment here is sunny Florida. By the way... when we are in mowing season... the lawn needs to be cut every 5 days or it will get WAY ahead of you, so why not do it on a cool tractor

Thanks

Todd

• Like 8

tractorhogg

If you accepted the guys offer at 650.00 and he did not complete the sale he is not hard to deal with, he is dishonest. No other way to put it. He wants to renegotiate his end after he set the price, he doesn't get to do that. I would offer 600 next time. He doesn't care that he is being dishonest, because he probably thinks you are inexperienced and he wants to take advantage of you. A person with that kind of character and personality should be avoided at all cost.

EDIT: reread your post after reading Sparky's post. I missed the fact that you offered 500

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 2

Gadget

Thanks for the comment tractorhogg

Yep... I have had to deal with this guy before, he is the only shop in the area that even remotely will talk to you about parts for WH/Onan and I have never really trusted him. Right now, he has something that I want so I have no choice but to deal with him. That's another reason I am happy to have found Red Square. You all seem to be able to find parts, and help each other with hard earned advice.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:WRS:

There's a few of us here in Florida Todd. I know what you mean about getting looked at like you have two heads when you mention Wheel Horse. We lived right in the heart of Wheel Horse land for 45 years (just outside of South Bend, IN) and it was a culture shock moving here. After 16 years here we're going back pretty soon. Enjoy the forum. :)

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

Gadget,  See if this guy will meet you in the middle. $550. - $575.  Make him work for the whole price. :auto-checkeredflag:

:P    :WRS:

Edited by Retired Sparky

JC 1965

Hello and  :WRS:

tractorhogg

I edited my earlier post to reflect that I had missed the fact that you had made an offer of 500, not accepted the 650. That changes things alot, 650 for  520 is not a bad pricce depending on the condition. My assesment of his character, or the lack of, is withdrawn. I too would be reluctant to take 25 percent less on a well priced machine, maybe 15 percent. I would come with cash and and deal with him straight up

Edited by tractorhogg

slammer302

Is this it?

520.jpg

520-2.jpg

• Like 1

tractorhogg

There is a real nice 520 around St. Lucie for 850 as well, and a ugly green round hood for 250 that would make a good restoration project

00s0s_9VALK026oID_600x450.jpg

green horse.jpg

• Like 2

slammer302

I also seen a decent 418-8 for 800$ on the Florida CL 

roadapples

Good luck and     :WRS:

Gadget

Thanks all for the welcome and the advice. The pics posted by slammer302 are of the machine I am trying to buy. I will let ya know later. Heres my 244

IMAG0661.jpg

• Like 2

Racinbob

Todd, if you can do better great but if not you won't be getting hurt if it checks out good. Good luck.

Don't forget to add yourself to the map. There's 15 or so from Florida on the map but not all are active. You need to add your name because it doesn't do it automatically. :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

How many hours in that 520? 

Edited by AMC RULES

DougC

Hi Gadget and:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum. It's hard for me to pass up a good 520H with 48 inch deck for that kind of price. Keep us in the loop....:handgestures-thumbupright:

Sparky

Mike.....

Gadget

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone who replied with posts welcoming me to RS.

I did get the 520 in the photos posted by slammer302. I did end up giving the full asking price but I guess it was a fair deal in the end. Kinda strange the way it went down but that's to long a story to bother with here. The thing is, I really never got the chance to REALLY check the machine out, but it turned out okay. I think! By the time it was all said and done, I had only heard it run for about 60 seconds, and had only gone about 6' forward and 6' backwards.. Not the way I usually like to buy any kind of machine.

Turns out, better than expected. First thing I did was to start cleaning, so here's a shortlist of what I think I have.

520H, Model 73502, Onan P 220 G, seems to run well, smooth idle, no smoke throughout the RRM range

Head, Instrument, and tail lights working

Voltmeter and fuel gauge working, tach and vac not so much, Vac line and fittings seem intact, grey wire not landed on the engine electrics,(more on that later)

750 Hours (according to the clock)

PTO works (little squeel when engaging the deck)

Oil was filthy, but full. Did an oil change, Penzoil 10W - 30 seemed right for my climate

Fuel leak near the inline filter, replaced filter and all lines from tank to carb

Looks like someone has "worked" on some of the engine electrical in the past, without regard for using the correct parts, or putting them where they belong, 

Coil loose and sort of floating around in the engine bay in a hole just aft of the carb

Regulator (?) sheet metal screwed to the engine shroud, l/h side, top.

Misc heat shrink connections here and there, but like I said, its mostly working

All the LED indicators seem to work.

I flushed out about 1 cubic foot of crud packed into the spaces around the trans and between the fuel tank and the fender pan

3 cans of Gunk and some Simple Green and a LIGHT pressure washing, I have the engine clean enough to work around

Might be small oil leak on the r/h side of the block, above where the PTO bolts on, if it was water cooled, I would say it was a freeze plug, but I don't know yet.

48 inch deck, no rust, spindles all turn, don't think its been greased in a while, 

It wad some poly line wrapped around the spindles, I cut that all out, got the blades sharpened, the belts are probably original so they need replaced.

Thats enough for now but PLEASE know this: 

Two wees ago I knew NOTHING about this machine, or other than what I learned on my 244H, I knew nothing about WH except that were good quality American Made Machines. Anything I have learned, I learned because of you guys sharing your information on this forum. I use to moderate on another form (automotive) so I know that it takes time, and a good group of people with similar interests who not only take information and help, but give it as well.

I will move to more appropriate sections and topics with the many questions I am sure I will have and I will try to give back a little of what I get

Thanks again!

Todd

• Like 4

Racinbob

Congrats on your new Wheel Horse Todd. We're looking forward to hearing more about it and some pictures. :)

WHX??
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, Gadget said:

Thanks all for the welcome and the advice. The pics posted by slammer302 are of the machine I am trying to buy. I will let ya know later. Heres my 244

IMAG0661.jpg

Looks alot like my 246H Todd

20150824_110047.jpg

I love mine ...one of my go to mowers... looks like you like to keep yours clean and tidy as well  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Post some of your problems in the appropraite section and we'll be glad to help you out. Lots of 520 fans here and most forgot more than what I'll ever know. 520's were know for electrical gremlins.

BTW you might want to consider one of these .... http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/product/2-1-year-redsquare-support/ helps keep the lights on ...is cheap and will help you to post :text-coolphotos:

Gadget

Seems fair enough, you guys have already saved me more than that on the learning curve! Stand by for many knot-head questions!

• Like 1