russellmc301

sparks when off to run

russellmc301

i got a fresh magneto and we started to hook it up but there is an extra wire so we looked in the brigs book and i saw what looks like the wire grounded.

we hooked the remanding wire to the wire that cliped onto mag before. when we turn it from off to run and run to off it sparks in the spark plug. but when we do start it doesn't spark'

i'll try to get some pictures i just need to upload them.

953 nut

Are you using the same ignition switch that was on the tractor before you started the restoration? Your diagram shows a green wire from the switch to the magneto, the switch will short this wire to ground when the switch is in the off position, other than that it should show infinite resistance to ground.

russellmc301

the green wire has is postive and i have the same switch and same wires.

wallfish

Do not supply ANY power to that magneto coil. That could be why the last one failed.

The GROUND wire to the switch from the magneto should connect to the "M" post on the switch. You may need to pull that switch and look at the letters next to the posts on it to confirm it's the correct switch and/or if it's connected to the right post.

Can you explain what tractor and engine you are talking about?

switch.jpg.7795778f72003c5aa06eebae3e79c

• Like 1

russellmc301

it's an A-100 with a brigs 251707 10 hp

i knew that save said that no power should be going to it so i dis connected it it comes from the switch and it is green. it meets at the governer and then bolts onto another wire then goes to the mag. the way it connected is different on the new then to old.

953 nut

Your engine should start and run without anything external connected to the mag. except the spark plug. To shut the motor off you would need to take the mag. wire to ground.

russellmc301

the green wire from the key comes down and connects to it and it  has a charge so how do i make that one ground?

953 nut

If the green wire has voltage on it then there is a problem. Disconnect it, put tape on it to keep it safe. Run a wire from the mag wire to a toggle switch, that switch will go to ground. With the switch in the "off" position your mag should produce a spark at the plug, switching it to "on" will short the mag. to ground and stop the engine from running.

russellmc301

sounds like an idea i'll try it tommarow

• Like 1

russellmc301

thanks for all the  help she is running now

we had a person look at it and they wired it and did a bunch of things and now it runs.

the wiring was all messed up and the key was bad and much more was wroung