Wheelhorse100

Transmission

Wheelhorse100

Hi I have a wheel horse raider 10 . With a 12 horse Kohler. I'm looking to do some pulling with it. If I jack it up and spin the tire one way and other tire spins in the opposite     direction. Will the transmission hold up or should I replace it, with a stronger one

Edited by Wheelhorse100

953 nut

:WRS:    Your Raider came with a 5073 transaxle which is a good strong unit, but you may want to look for a 5058 which is a limited slip unit. The attached list will show you what transmission came in each model.

wheelhorseallyears (1).pdf

• Like 1

Racinbob

That's normal for the wheels to spin like that when jacked up. You have the 10 pinion differential and is mighty tough but the 8 pinion is even tougher. I would use it and if it gave you issues see about making a swap.:)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

JPWH

:WRS:

stevasaurus

So what year or model number is your Raider 10 with a 12 hsp Kohler??  The Raiders, through the years came with a 4 pinion with 1" axles...a 5071 (6 speed) and the 5073 (8 speed).  Your model number will tell us which one you have there.  Do you have a hi/low option on your transmission??  Do you have 1" or 1 1/8" axles??  Is the brake drum shaft in the hole closest to the axle housing or in the next hole toward the front of the transmission??  :)

• Like 1

Wheelhorse100

It's a 1972 wheel horse raider 10. The original ten horse had a cracked block. So I replaced it with a 12 horse Kohler. The   transmission has hi and low. It has 1 inch axles 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...that is the #5086 transmission.  That has a 4 pinion differential and 1" axles.  Nothing wrong with the transmission as far as pulling, but if you are going to get serious about it...you want an 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  I would stay away from a 10 pinion limited slip differential for pulling.  Differentials to look for...5091, 103907, 103916, 103918.  :)

• Like 2

Wheelhorse100

Ok thank you for all the help

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I would stay away from a 10 pinion limited slip differential for pulling.

Just curious why you wouldn't want the limited slip, seems to me it would give better traction.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Richard, I am just going with what the guys that really do the pulling say.  Read some of the threads that are in the "Pulling Section"...they all like the 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.

Personally, there is nothing wrong with any of the Wheel Horse transmissions...when you use them for what they were designed.  The thing I think the pulling guys don't like is that the 10 pinions kind of float in that differential...they are not on a shaft like the 4 and 8 pinion differentials.  I think they have a tendency to  chip easier in the 10 pinion, limited slip.  I am not sure I am right in my thinking, but that is what it seems like to me.  :)  Actually, Wheel Horse came out with a Service Bulletin that shows what to do to take a 10 pinion, limited slip differential and make it an 8 pinion differential....the Service Bulletin is not about doing the operation the other way.  gotta be a reason.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

Racinbob

I should make it a habit to check the list before I reply. I thought all Raiders had the limited slip. That's a great explanation Steve. The floating pinion thing sure makes sense. I was leaning towards that round spring thingy being a weak link but you make better sense. I can say my Dad bought a Raider 12 new and 30 years later and countless hours of brutal work the thing never gave him a problem. Even the limited slip still worked good. Probably just lucky. After he passed my nephew used it a while then my Mom sold it. I screamed MOM!!!!! She said she didn't think I would have wanted it. :no:I guess that's what I get for moving down here.  :angry-banghead: 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Bob, I had an advantage about which transmissions came in the Raiders.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  My 1972 Raider with 1" axles.  :)

2008_071910raider19720008.thumb.JPG.7115

• Like 1

Racinbob

Looking at the list I see that in 1971 both the Raider 10 and 12 had the 5073 but in 1972 the 10 had the 5086 and the 12 the 5073. I swear that Wheel Horse had a special department dedicated to messing with the minds of folks 40 years later. :wacko:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'm thinking the same thing.  Imagine all those engineers sitting in the room going over plans for the next year of Wheel Horse tractors....and one guy says.."OK, but what about Bob?"    :ROTF:

• Like 1

953 nut
46 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

special department dedicated to messing with the minds of folks 40 years later.

The same group took a perfectly logical model numbering system and threw in a few exceptions!  :bitch:

• Like 3