DougL3

First time plowing...

DougL3
11 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

Move to the right so the rear tire is in the furrow. Use the front wheel to steer, keep the rear in the furrow. Also, your plow shined up nice(even to the heel of the moldboard) so it is taking a nice cut. If your ground is relatively sandy and you can go faster? Do it. As long as the heel of your plowshare is even or close to even with the inside wall of the furrow? It is set right for its cut. Tires are just a matter of opinion. I run turfs on my 520 pulling a 12" inch plow. If I get slippage? I throw chains on. I have ags on the D-250 because I do not mow with it. I put very skinny ags (walk behind tractor tires) on my 312h for cultivating between the rows (to narrow the tractor up as far as possible) so I can "fit" between the rows. If it is a little wet when you plow? Or, you are cutting sod? The furrows may not fill. The plowed ground may stand in ridges rather than roll over. This can even happen with the big equipment when plowing old alfalfa or pastures. Sometimes if you can go faster? You may be able to "throw" it over. However, plowing wet ground can make it very hard when it dries out. Making it hard to break up the clods. Discing it after does work but still leaves clumps sometimes. It looks like you have an 10" plow there. I think if you run the R/R tire in the furrow? You will see a big difference.     Good Luck.  Happy Gardening       Pat

Thanks for the advice!

Come to find out, it's actually an older 8" plow.  It cuts wonderful and is very smooth, but I have thought about upgrading to a 10" plow.

tractorhogg
2 hours ago, DougL3 said:

Thanks for the advice!

Come to find out, it's actually an older 8" plow.  It cuts wonderful and is very smooth, but I have thought about upgrading to a 10" plow.

The 8 inch plows are really sought after around my parts, great for the older smaller tractors