farmer

My garden for '16

farmer

Almost instant transformation, if the April showers let you get on, what are you hoping to plant first?  Here's what's on my 'to do list', still waiting in the shed.   :coffee:

image.jpeg

again, sorry about the pic I'll get there. 

• Like 1

farmer

Finally got round to ploughing the area for  potatoes (it's been a bit wet of late) all being well I'll plant in a couple of days. Here's a few pics of my set up, the tractor is on 8.50 tyres, between the wheels it measures 20", the plough is a 10" brinly and the head stock hole is 2L.  :coffee:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

farmer

Things went well, the soil dried out very quickly so I planted this afternoon. I've tried several different ways of planting spuds over the years, preparing the plot, stringing lines and using a trowel to plant.

Prepare the plot, use the tractor to draw out furrows, lay the tubers in and then cover them using the tractor and hiller. Each way always left the ground compacted, making hilling later with the tractor difficult. 

So to avoid compaction I prepare the plot, string a line plant one row, leave the string  to mark where the row was, then till out my foot marks. Move the string for the next row, then so on. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

Resurrecting an old thread as I am jealous of all of those that get to work their ground with their horses. 

On 3/24/2016 at 10:16 AM, WHX9 said:

Gotta ask what kind of motor is in that horse?

Were you referring to this picture?

On 3/22/2016 at 5:49 PM, farmer said:

image.thumb.jpeg.69b368fdcad41a6167afd94

That is the elusive 512-D, a Robin-Subaru diesel powered export tractor. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/29415-512-d/ There are only a couple in the US that I have heard of, a few more in Europe. My understanding is that it is actually rated 9 some-odd HP but being diesel will perform around a 12HP gas equivalent because of the higher torque rating. 

More rare than a senior here in the US. :D

• Like 1