ztnoo

GT 14 Electric Clutch Mounting Bolt?

ztnoo

I've discovered the main engine pulley driving the hydro pump seems to be a bit loose.

I need to pull the clutch and associated pulleys off to have a look at what's going on back there.

May be just a loosened allen screw mounting the pulley, a bad key, a bad pulley bore, or some combination of all three.

Is the clutch mounting bolt going into the crankshaft a right hand thread, or a left hand thread?

Anyone have a quick answer?

Steve

• Like 1

pfrederi

right hand on my electro 12

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

pfrederi

They used a couple of styles.  You push them off by running a bolt in the end Some use 5/8 nc (11tpi) some 7/8 NC 9tpi

• Like 2

ztnoo

Well .......yeah I may need to use a puller or something to get it off the crankshaft, but I really want to be sure of which way that mounting bolt is threaded.

To break that off would be a horror story I don't even want to think about.......emot-doh.gif.f048b2b703969a9adb64e1d3eef

The parts list describes it as  7/16 x 20 x 2 1/4".

Edited by ztnoo

pfrederi

Two of mine have stickers that say the warranty will be voided if you do not use the 5/8 inch bolt to push it off.  Do not use a puller

The 7/16 is what holdsit on but the 5/8 (or 7/8) is used to push it off after you remove the 7/16

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Aldon

Not to steal the thread, but is there anything to be aware of while reversing the process and installing it back on?

Does the 7/16 assist in re-installing the clutch?

26 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Well .......yeah I may need to use a puller or something to get it off the crankshaft, but I really want to be sure of which way that mounting bolt is threaded.

To break that off would be a horror story I don't even want to think about.......emot-doh.gif.f048b2b703969a9adb64e1d3eef

The parts list describes it as  7/16 x 20 x 2 1/4".

Be very careful as a puller may irrevocably damage the clutch. An impact or air  wrench with the correct 5/8 bolt will do all the work for you.

• Like 2

pfrederi
16 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Not to steal the thread, but is there anything to be aware of while reversing the process and installing it back on?

Does the 7/16 assist in re-installing the clutch?

Yes what ever bolt goes into the crank pulls it on.  The reason I say what ever bolt is the electro 12 I have sitting here in the shop uses a 3/8 16 bolt to hold it on.  Not sure why GT 14 uses 7/16" other than it the type that uses a 7/8 " bolt to push it off

• Like 2

ztnoo

pfrederi,

So, just to make sure I'm comprehending the discussion.......you're saying the mounting bolt is a right hand thread. Correct? Turn counter clockwise to remove.

Then, if I get that removed, a larger hole which is threaded in the clutch body itself will be revealed.

Determine what size and thread it is, thread the appropriate size bolt into the clutch body and against the end of the crank, and continue to turn the bolt inward and the clutch will back itself off the crank.

Did I get that right?

• Like 1

pfrederi
18 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

pfrederi,

So, just to make sure I'm comprehending the discussion.......you're saying the mounting bolt is a right hand thread. Correct? Turn counter clockwise to remove.

Then, if I get that removed, a larger hole which is threaded in the clutch body itself will be revealed.

Determine what size and thread it is, thread the appropriate size bolt into the clutch body and against the end of the crank, and continue to turn the bolt inward and the clutch will back itself off the crank.

Did I get that right?

Yes

The units i have are either 5/8" or 7/8" for a pusher.  The manual says some use a 1 inch pusher...go figure

• Like 1

squonk

It should be the same as an automotive A/C clutch before everyone went metric. A local auto parts store that rents tools may have one.

ztnoo

Got it!

Thanks!

2tu.gif.7c788588864a9191f2a7eb2a209d5d0e

ztnoo

Well, gentlemen, I have had what I would describe as mixed luck, overall, today.

I did get the mounting/retention bolt off with an electric impact. No trouble there.

Bought a 5/8 x 11 bolt and it wouldn't thread....wouldn't even start.

It was a regular hex bolt (right pic). Maybe if I could have located a hex cap screw (left pic) of that thread, everything would have worked.....don't know.

Fastenal says this about hex cap screws/bolts " designed to be screwed into a tapped (pre-threaded) hole or secured with a nut. The underside of these heads are washer faces and the point ends are chamfered. These are used in more specialized situations than hex bolts."  Maybe this type of bolt would have made all the difference in gaining "bite" in the clutch body. I'm not the know all/end all guru about the mechanics of fasteners and their appropriate applications. I would say this clutch mounting situation is a specialized application

56f1b38e05cb5_Type-HexCapScrewa.jpg.a400   56f1b3ab64c7e_Type-HexBolta.jpg.c5c782c1

Getting a little frustrated, I got out my tap and die set to try to determine what the threading in the clutch body was.

It (the clutch body) simply would not take a 5/8 x 11 tap. I have no idea why.

I carefully tried hand threading a 9/16 x 12 tap into the hole, and it seemed to move in without a lot of resistance

The only thing that seemed to work was by "feel", and I mean light touch finger feel, was a 9/16 x 12 tap.

Nobody in town has a 9/16 x 12 bolt in stock .....not even Fastenal. Although that is a size you'll find in most tap and die sets, apparently its not a commonly stocked shank size. Somewhat of a bastard stepchild for everyday wrenching. Bud and Mable's Hardware uptown isn't likely to have it.

So, since the 9/16 tap seemed to be threading and the pulley was moving outward which was the desired direction I just kept going.

Eventually I ran out of travel with the tap.

I attempted to insert a small socket into the hole after unthreading the tap, then I attempted to run the combination in further. The socket turned on me and wasn't applying pressure squarely to the end of the crank.

I backed the tap out and retrieved the socket with a telescoping magnet.

I paused and calculated how much more crankshaft I likely had to continue to push the clutch and two pulleys off. I determined it was no more than approximately 3/4". I'd already traveled about 75% of the distance I needed to remove the assembly from the crankshaft.

I decided to roll the dice, because I didn't see any practical way to continue to "push" with the tap option.

I took the 8" two jaw puller I started my GT 14 hub pulling adventure with, put a short 1/4" ratchet extension and socket in the clutch mounting hole, hooked the jaws behind the inside of the double clutch pulley, and lightly turned the pusher bolt of the puller in. It backed right out.

Eureka!

So statistically, I got the friggin' clutch off in a convoluted way.

Then I got the drive pulley off (the genesis of the exercise because of perceived looseness). Cleaned up the crank end and pulley bore with 0000 steel wool, brass wired brushed the drive pulley allen grub screws, & swabbed out the grub screw bores with lacquer thinner and Q-tips. Reinstalled everything in a dry mock up. Everything seems tight and stable.

I'm not totally comfortable with the 1/4 x 1/4 x 3 1/8" key......it shows evidence of some side to side shifting and movement with some wear points. I think if I reverse the key (180 end to end to the crankshaft), it can be safely reused. I'm considering installing with Locktite Red in the crankshaft key way upon reassembly. Comments???

I was able to determine the main reason the pulley was somewhat loose, was the allen grub screw anchoring itself on the key, wasn't tight. The second key at 90 degrees to the key grub screw, was secure. So one drive pulley grub screw on a 47 year old tractor was a little bit loose. Certainly not the end of the world. Just trying to prevent the end of the world mechanical disaster for my intended purposes.

If what I'm doing right now is good for another 47 years, I'd expect an appropriate toast over my grave site by the next steward of my WH property.

Aldon, if you have a tap and die set with a thread gauge, or have another means to determine the exact threading on your clutch body threading, please scope it out, because I really need to know what you discover.....and of course, please post your learned results.

I seriously need to analyze the bore/thread situation and make appropriate modifications for future clutch removal.

That may mean tapping to 5/8 x 18 which is a real oddball in everyday terms, but maybe what needs to be done to get the clutch off in the future.......even if I'm not around.

Steve

(the guy that originally just wanted to get his left rear hub pulled out)

Seems like I got swept into a Wheel Horse whirlpool............

Hope to keep my nostrils above the aquatic eddy.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I have 3 Electric PTOs with 5/8 NC threads  No problem running a 5/8 11 bolt into anyone of them  (One has a 7/8 NC not eh 1 " the manula claims but no problem with that one either.You have a picture of  your PTO?  Threads messed up??

• Like 1

ztnoo

I'll get pics.

Nothing obvious to me about the threading being screwed up, but it doesn't work.

It might have gotten botched up by others when the K321 engine went on permanent vacation and the mill got switched to the current K341. The clutch would have been switched out at that time.

I've never had the clutch off, so the best I can do is finger point in the past..................somewhere.

It did get put back on and it's lasted for 20-21 years.

The problem occurred when the ding-a-ling who owns it wanted to tighten things up a bit.

Aldon

Amazingly enough, I have no tap and die set.

Or way to measure thread pitch.

Thats why I ask on here about mounting bolt dimensions occasionally.

Although I did end up with a 9/16-18 die to clean up the rear weight mounting bolts.

ztnoo

Huummm........oh well........

Any other GT 14 owners that can jump in here.....please feel free to do so.....

pfrederi

Many things happen to a tractor over its life.  i am surprised that the previous owner some how sleeved the clutch bore and downsized to an uncommon 9/16.

Standard 5/8 NC fit mine.  I suspect you may find the threads have been a bit mangled on the outer end.  You will note there are no threads the first half inch or so, maybe the pounded something in there damaging the first couple of turns.  try threading a 5/8 nc from the inside like the Gr 8 bolt in the last photo.IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.0404d1bb7b0d7fb4eaca5

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

• Like 1

ztnoo

pfrederi,

Thanks for your pics. Mine are below my text.

Since I have owned this tractor over 2/3 of the time since it was manufactured, I seriously doubt the clutch was ever off the machine until the engines got changed.

I think its highly likely whoever my dad had do the work, screwed some things up getting the clutch off the original K321 engine.

Whether they didn't use the right thread bolt for a pusher, and/or flailed away with an electric impact on the 'pusher' bolt and bunged up or cross threaded the starting threads, is anybody's guess. Something happened because there was no way to start a 5/8 x 11 bolt in the clutch body from the outside....which is what needed to be done to 'push' the clutch off the crankshaft.

Obviously, they got it off somehow, and that was what they were concerned with in the work they were doing to change engines.

Once they got the clutch off and started on the new engine's crank, it was easy sledding .....the 7/16 x 20 mounting bolt just pushed the clutch back on, and no one was the wiser, until I wandered down the clutch removal path some 20 years after the fact to check out the drive pulley behind the clutch.

I don't think anybody rethreaded the clutch body to 9/16. That's just what happened to work for me to get it off, fortunately. I think my method worked because the 5/8 x 11 threading is messed up. And I probably messed it up a little more with my efforts to get the clutch off.

I agree my best shot to clean things up (hopefully) would be to work from the backside of the clutch to see if I can very carefully get a 5/8 x 11 tap to start again.

If that doesn't seem to work, I'm thinking I may have to lightly chamfer the hole on the backside of the clutch with a larger drill bit on a drill press to allow a tap to start rethreading.

Think that might work, or have any other ideas, opinions, or commentary??? All input welcomed.

Here are my pics below. My close ups of internal threading aren't as detailed as I would like them to be.

IMG_0568a.jpg.9d3293145a0d68155808260baa

IMG_0569a.jpg.1fd08ed3871eddde84bf63d032

IMG_0572a.jpg.20e369c51ee3f2966acad71d29

IMG_0570a.jpg.fffc66efd0b4e816456f120c50

IMG_0576a.jpg.46113ffbeeebf58427abb37f5a

Edited by ztnoo

ztnoo

Clutch update:

I decided to roll the dice once again and have a go with the 5/8 x 11 tap from the backside of the clutch to see if I could gain bite in the threading.

I chucked the clutch up in the big heavy duty vice I inherited from my father which is mounted on his hobby/workshop maple work bench.

Slowly, by hand with the tap between my thumb and index finger, I slowly turned inward.

Once I met resistance, I backed the tap out, blew out the hole, and sprayed and wiped the tap clean, and lubed it with oil. Then I reinserted the tap and very carefully attempt to get by the last point of resistance with very light finger pressure.

I probably did that about five times, then I suddenly seemed to meet less resistance.

At times I could then use the tap handle instead of turning by hand.

Again I would occasionally back the tap out, spray, clean wipe, and lube with oil.

As I began to approach the outer area of the threading (on the outside face of the clutch), I again began meeting more resistance.

I left the tap in, loosened the clutch from the vice, and turned it over to observe the tap was beginning to emerge through the threading.

A few more cycles of removing the tap, cleaning, lubing, and continuing to thread left me with the full bodied middle of the tap well beyond the outside limits of the threading.

I removed the tap, blew out the threading, lubed the bolt I bought yesterday for the original purpose of being the 'pusher', and ran it in as far as I could from the back side.

I then reversed the process and ran the bolt in from the outside (the side you push from to remove the clutch) as far in as I could.

In total, I probably spent 25 minutes and had the tap in and out 10-12 times. Sometimes I tend to rush things and get in a big hurry, but I knew this was my only reasonable chance of gaining purchase in the original threading before having to resort to more drastic and likely costly measures. In this case, patience and being deliberate and measured in my approach paid off, and even though the bolt fit is not 'spot on' snug like it would have been originally and before the threading got dinged up in the engine change scenario. I am confident however that if the crankshaft end is treated with a very light coating of anti-seize upon reinstallation, with the threading in the clutch body being 1/2" to 5/8" in length, there is sufficient remaining holding power to easily push the clutch back off in the future if needed by myself or the steward that winds up with this tractor after my demise (which I hope, is at least a couple of decades away). I'll test that theory reinstalling and see if it comes off easily before a final installation.

My best guess about what happened with this tractor is, in the engine change over, somebody had some initial problems threading the outside and dinged a thread or two up. Then after finally getting it threaded in the hole, may have met heavy resistance toward the bottom of the thread as it approached the crankshaft end. Maybe it was corrosion within end of the threading or maybe the clutch mounting bore was corroded to the crankshaft end. They may have then hammered on the bolt or used an impact gun on the bolt and flailed away until things finally broke loose. If they never attempted to run the pusher bolt back into the threading from either side of the clutch to check that the threading was OK for future removal, they would never know their approach screwed things up for future removal. Ignorance is bliss.......

I feel like an aging cat with nine lives. Three have now been used up in a relatively short span of time on the GT 14. The first life went away with hub removal, the second with woodruff key removal, the third with clutch removal.

Six to go. Wonder what will be the next mechanical crisis?

My pics below:

IMG_0577a.jpg.371fd0ffdad26a086a5c354cfa

IMG_0578a.jpg.3956cb2ac2ab7160a2b152f00f

IMG_0579a.jpg.bccac67e71a3d8e1842fca649d

IMG_0580a.jpg.1c23706ea9c2d94fb2ded45489

Note the Japanese "NACHI" sealed bearing on the outside end of the clutch of my 47 year old example. I wouldn't have expected to see that.....very curious. The inner clutch sealed bearing is marked, DANA 980902, NOH, Made in USA. Strange the two different sources of bearings. Maybe one has been replaced.....but not by me. Could be all original, but I have no way to confirm that theory.

Anyone else know?

Aldon, you have open access to at least one clutch for research purposes, don't you?

IMG_0581a.jpg.e528b55ca6067c7e8b2e1983b0

IMG_0582a.jpg.726e6ccb0e85b5254e3bd1a506

Regards,

Steve

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1