Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

an interesting note or 2

rustyoldjunk

i noticed something interesting about my 520-8 speed,it appears to have 1 inch axle shafts,i was in a hurry when i noticed so i will have a closer look later today.i will also have to check the parts break down.im pretty positive its all original.i would have thought the big onan 20hp twin powered 520 gear drive tractor would have the heavier differential and big axles.on another note and as you GT14 and 1054 owners know these tractors have keys specific to each machine so someone cant just stick any key in it and drive off,i just found that out by trying the two tractors keys in the opposite tractors.i like this feature alot,wish they had continued that.anyway,i didnt want anything other than to ramble,i just got in from work....getting ready for my nap...

Rollerman

Might want to check again :D ....no way they put a light duty 8 speed in a 520 8 speed at the factory.

I'm guessing the 1054's use the same split key as the 953's? :hide:

Now it's been a while since I've been around a GT 14...would those have the "large" or the standard "indak" key?

Teddy da Bear

Both my GT-14's have the standard indak key.

My 1054A has the split key.

Docwheelhorse

Theres no way the 520 has a 1" transaxle, unless it got swapped out in the last 20 years. Even if it is a 1" axle setup I wouldn't be too concerned unless your are REALLY working the thing, the Onan against a 4 pinion 1" axle setup is a recipe for disaster. But I have done some serious work with the "lowly" 4 speed Uni-drives and haven't broke one yet. I bet it would hold up unless you started getting mega traction with the engine at full throttle.

Tony