Mike'sHorseBarn

Barn Find RJ-58

can whlvr

sure its worth it,paitience to find the parts and lots of elbow grease she could be a nice lookin tractor again

• Like 3

fireman

That solid seat could be the original as 59' RJs had them!

• Like 1

Phatboy

Nice find buddy !!! Keep us updated on progress ! 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Mike'sHorseBarn  it has potential  to be something nice and proud of. Enjoy the project.  Gary    B.. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Were you wearing a mask when you stole that little guy? stock-vector-smiley-vector-illustration-

• Like 9

Mike'sHorseBarn
48 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Were you wearing a mask when you stole that little guy? stock-vector-smiley-vector-illustration-

Lol! He asked me if $125 was too much and I didn't even argue I just gave him money!

• Like 3

857 horse

Coming from from me,,,this may sound kinna funny.........I think i would get it running...make sure the rear axle fluid  is clean again..and i would ride her...

and be very proud,,,,,this looks like mine when i found it...clean alll the sheet metal...Wow....if you change your mind...I will give you your investment back...and a real cool crisp $5   ta boot  !!!!    =)....  You done good..

• Like 4

Tankman

Go for the restoration! One of the great Horses. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Definitely $$$ well spent!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Nice horse and you have the sticker on it. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I managed to turn your pictures for you. :)

• Like 4

ACman

I would say that's a pretty much original RJ . Great find , it looks almost identical to mine . Here's a blurry pic from the add I bought it from . That hood can be saved . Had an old timer bodyman work on my hood . In fifteen minutes he had the front smoothed out . I asked him how much I owed him , he said nothing , it was a pleasure to work with real metal . Still have some patching and welding to do but it's one more saved .

image.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

WHX??

I'd say you did real good Mike, a gem in diguise..... definitiely restorable! :bow-blue::greetings-clappingyellow:

Pics and info please once ya get into it!!

• Like 1

Wheelin'theSky

Just looks a little dusty ;) Should clean up nice.

Judging from the photos, it looks like it's been leaking (especially the rear). You can bang that hood out pretty easy.

Best of luck with it.

• Like 1

TDF5G
15 hours ago, can whlvr said:

sure its worth it,paitience to find the parts and lots of elbow grease she could be a nice lookin tractor again

and all the fun you'll have doing it too!

Nice find, yes sir!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

wrightorchid

A great project.  The old ones are getting pretty rare in some parts.  Much better to restore it than go to the dump, that's for sure.  At least the old stuff is restoreable.  I can't imagine somebody trying to restore a new car in another 50 years.

• Like 4

HENRYG

Yea man who doesn't love an RJ

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Nice horse and you have the sticker on it. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I managed to turn your pictures for you. :)

Thanks! I can't figure out why my phone posts pics upside down! Lol

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! This the first RJ I know of in my area. The only other one I ever saw that was close to this was a 401 and I bought that one too! Definitely going to put this in line for a restoration. Let the parts hunting begin!!

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

Took this to see my great uncle tonight. He is a die hard wheel horse guy but he has never owned an RJ. Brought it back home then and took some better pictures.....this phone will probably turn some sideways though......

20160304_181738.thumb.jpg.b1d72e4559c9a2

20160304_181752.thumb.jpg.83b85dddbf1d52

20160304_181810.thumb.jpg.0b2a2b8297ef9d

20160304_181822.thumb.jpg.3448cc91b16fb4

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Get a rope! He stole that Horse.

Very nice!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Thing is too nice to restore...

I'd at least have to visit a pressure washer first. 

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I plan on giving it a good degreasing and pressure washing tomorrow since it will be above freezing!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Use caution though...

easy to do more damage than good. 

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I've learned that the hard way.

wallfish

The 401 I drive around at the shows kind of looks like that one does. It's character and it's an old tractor that... looks like an old tractor!

Thought I might have a rod for that handle but it turned out to be from a 1960 suburban. There is some evidence that the new style handles with the selector arch were factory installed or dealer installed on some late production 1959s. The tractors I've seen like that also had the solid seat pan like yours does. Let me know if you are interested in the complete setup, handle and selector arch.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Took the engine off this a little bit ago.....not in good shape.....everything is loose especially the rod. The governor bushing is especially wore as it has been leaking it looks like. I think I'm going to take it straight to the rebuilding table. 

• Like 2