pfrederi

O rings for hydros

pfrederi

Some Sundstrand hydros with hydro lift use SAE5 ORB (O Ring Boss) fittings on the pump, control valve and cylinder  They are no longer popular and it can be hard to find the specific one you need.  Many times the leak can be fixed by replacing the  o ring itself.  SAE 5 orings are available but can be expensive and sold as eaches.  Couple alternatives for you.  Turns out these rings have a SAE standard AS568 number (commonly called a "Dash Number")

Dash Number is 905  They should be a Shore (hardness) rating of 90

ID .414  OD .558  Width . 072

Gates has them in bags of 10 which your auto parts store can probably order for you G60248-0005    Part# 72540005

Saw the Gates on Amazon for $8.00

McMaster will sell you a bag of 100 Buna for $4.00 or Viton (which I prefer) bag of 25 for $3.32

• Like 6

can whlvr

good info,i have Sundstrand that leaks,but it leaks in quite a few places,im gonna look into this,i bought a cylinder and control valve from a member years ago and it leaked more than mine,so it sits on the shelf,i tied to get a hose once and no go around me

pfrederi
1 hour ago, can whlvr said:

good info,i have Sundstrand that leaks,but it leaks in quite a few places,im gonna look into this,i bought a cylinder and control valve from a member years ago and it leaked more than mine,so it sits on the shelf,i tied to get a hose once and no go around me

Regrettably you are probably not going to find a hose with ORB 5 ends.  There are alternatives still available.  You can get SAE ORB5 fittings that convert to JIC 37 degree  #4 or #6  or to NPTF then you can get hoses with that kind of end.  There can be clearance issues depending on the location.  Where are your problems??

• Like 1

can whlvr

I had this problem,they converted one of my hoses but it didn't fit into the tranny area,so I put the orig back and use it as is,when I restore the old girl she will get all the leaks addressed,in 5 years I havnt added any oil,so it doesn't pour out but it is wet,and the hoses to the cylinders are leaking and the left floor board is wet

JPWH

Thanks for sharing this info.  I have a question. Why is your preference Viton? Better quality or what?

Aldon

I too am prejudiced towards Viton. We use them in semiconductor manufacturing and they are routinely proven high quality. I am sure other brands may be as well, but I have higher confidence based on usage with Viton.

am interested in pftederi response too

• Like 1

ztnoo

Very interesting and enlightening info, gentlemen.

Thank you.

pfrederi

I read (don't rmember where) that Viton rings were more resistive to transmission fluid.  I use ATF in my older Sundstrands.

This chart also shows they are better for synthetic lubricants  (if I ever decide to change my D200 to Mobil 1 I will be ready)

rings.JPG

• Like 2

Shynon
15 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Regrettably you are probably not going to find a hose with ORB 5 ends.  There are alternatives still available.  You can get SAE ORB5 fittings that convert to JIC 37 degree  #4 or #6  or to NPTF then you can get hoses with that kind of end.  There can be clearance issues depending on the location.  Where are your problems??

I recently had to replace one of my hoses on my GT 14 and one of our vendor's Wheelhorseman1000 set me up.

• Like 1

Aldon

Thanks again pftederi !

I just ordered a bag of 100 for just in case stock. 

This is is just the kind of item that can cause a weeks delay in a project and for less than a fiver, I am likely covered until they disposition my stuff after I'm gone:-) Hopefully a long ways from now. LOL