kingnothing71us

Transmission Clean Out.

kingnothing71us

Hi guys, I installed a new to me trans and I drained the old oil out. I've heard before about people using kerosene to clean gear boxes and stuff. Would it work if I put kerosene in my tranny, let it run for a couple minutes then drained it and put fresh oil in. My concern is not getting out all the kero out and the little bit thats left, mixing with the oil and maybe breaking it down. I guess I could run the new oil after using the kero then change it, again.  The old oil doesnt look too healty and I'd like to have a nice clean tranny without having to trar it apart to clean it. Any input will be appreciated. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I'm not sure about a hydro but I have used diesel oil, not kerosene, to run my manual transmissions to clean them. Put the tractor on jackstands and run at variable speeds in all gears for about ten minutes. Then do a dump-and-fill with the gear oil two to three times, depending on what gets dumped.

squonk

Gear oil is cheap enough. Run the kero, dump it. Add gear oil, run it some and dump that and refill. You should be good.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'm not sure what transmission you're dealing with but I'll assume a 2-piece manual. Make sure you lift the front of the tractor to drain it. There's a hump in the middle that will trap some of the fluid. :)

can whlvr

hopefully its amanual,as you don't want a hydro that shows dirty fluid,i save my oil from hydros,lable it and put it aside till I do a manual clean out,then I put the motor oil in after the diesel,run for 15 min then drain and put 80-90 gear oil

• Like 1

kingnothing71us

I have the 5086 8 speed manual trans. It calls for 140 GL5 gear oil in the transmission rebuild manual. I didnt run the kero today, ran out of day light. I'll run the gear oil for a bit then change it out. This trans seems ALOT tighter than my old one. Theres not much play in the shift lever. My old shift lever hit the seat release when I would shift into first gear and this one clears it by a good bit. I appreciate all the help.  

Racinbob

That shifter play is caused by a loose dog point set screw. Lift the boot up and you'll see it. Use a 1/8" allen wrench for the set screw and a 7/16" wrench for the locknut. Tighten the screw until you just start feeling resistance as you run it through the gears. Then back it off a fuzz, hold it there and tighten the locknut.

• Like 1

kingnothing71us

Thanks Racinbob. I thought that screw did more than hold the shifter in. I did not know it even exsisted until I saw it on the trans I put in my tractor. I will now have to find a place to order parts from for a decent price when I'm ready to rebuild my other tranny. I really don't want to pay dealer prices. I ordered something from some one on here awhile ago but I dont remember his name. I'll do my research and talk to him about parts. I do believe he's a dealer but with better prices. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Some of the parts are no longer available and getting harder to find. There's folks here that have perfectly good used items. When the time comes I'd suggest flushing it then tearing it apart to determine what you need. Bearings and seals are readily available other than the 1533 axle bearings. There's a lot of threads and videos to guide you along right here. Start a thread and post pictures and I'm sure you'll get all sorts of help. :)

• Like 2