Aldon

Buy once cry once or......

Aldon

WooHoo

Look what arrived today and my door!

Probably take a couple weeks before I get it installed as I avoid working in garage in low temperatures.

Fir a while I would occasionally turn my phone horizontal to get a picture and that was causing images to be posted rotated 90 degrees. But lately it rotates photos 90 degrees on its own initiative that were taken with phone camera in the vertical. No idea what's driving that....

image.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

ztnoo

Thought I'd better help you get that thing turned right side up so the crankcase oil doesn't seep into the head.......;)

What a monster!!! What are the CFM air delivery specs on that behemoth?

56d739ea2bd06_Aldonscompressor.thumb.jpe

• Like 4

Aldon

Thanks Steve

Specs

Quincy.JPG.4e8fbec8ba841dc6119b3b73b1073

• Like 1

WHX??

My garage is heated Aldon...may we should put it in there??:teasing-poke:

• Like 1

ztnoo

NO!!! Me, pick me!!!!

:ROTF:

22.6 CFM @ 175 PSI  emot-jawdrop.gif.3953be05a0dd0acefa42cca

That's what you call a SERIOUS compressor for a home owner!

Plan to establish a compressed air network utility throughout your neighborhood?

That would would supply the average demand of several residential garages.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Aldon that is real nice!  I ran a 5hp HD commercial unit and while it would run two, three air tools all day the sandblaster tasked it.  Yours is total overkill for most any single tool but you will love it for sandlblasting!

Aldon that is real nice!  I ran a 5hp HD commercial unit and while it would run two, three air tools all day the sandblaster tasked it.  Yours is total overkill for most any single tool but you will love it for sandlblasting!

• Like 1

ztnoo

Aldon,

You may want to consider having your electric utility set a dedicated meter and branch circuit to monitor power to that beast. But maybe not.

If your wife casually notes in the future your electric bills have suddenly, significantly increased and there's been no rate change per kwh, on second thought, you'd be in big trouble with a second electric bill that tracks usage and costs.

On second thought, just wire it up to your existing breaker box and take your chances.....

An amazing tool you purchased there.........there's room in the garage for a cot or hammock, isn't there...........just in case you're exiled from the house?

• Like 2

WHX??

Really Aldon that thing will power a 10 bay car  garage! ...but then again if your gonna do it might as well do it right & be set up for the retirement years & the rest of your life.

You do know we will want  pictures once you get it setup & running!!

• Like 1

Aldon

Agreed. More than the minimum for sure. But sand blasting is part of a couple of hobbies of mine and as long as my health and weather allow, I will be in the garage as much as I can be. Hopefully someday I can semi retire and really put the shop to work.

Once weather allows, I will install and put shop in order and add pics.

• Like 3

Aldon

Moderators should feel free to move this thread to the tools sections if they wish.

squonk

One thing about a big honkin compressor. While I was working at Napa, one of my customers opened a shop. He wanted to be an Auto Care store and get the extra Napa discounts. He bought if I remember right a 10 HP compressor. It was an old Texaco station in years past and had been shuttered for a while. Well he had an electrician wire that compressor and every time it started his shop lights dimmed. Not only his but also the people down the street saw their lights dimming. Not only that but every one driving down the street at night saw the street lights dim. The power co. had to come in  and replace the existing transformer, add another transformer and replace the triplex to the shop! :)

ztnoo

Yikes!!! You must be saying that was a 3 phase powered compressor........am I reading you correctly on your description?

I don't think Aldon's is 3 phase (his spec sheet says its single phase), but he may encounter demand exceeding the practical limits of not only the circuit on which it is dedicated, but the main service he has at his location could be inadequate.

I'm for now going to assume he has a 200 amp panel.................if not, there might be problems with draw.

The specs list draw at 40 amps, but recommend an 80 amp breaker. That's a reasonably serious specification for one single tool in a residence.

If using that compressor, it is run for extended periods of time in high load/usage situations, problems with other circuits feeding off the beaker box may occur, not to mention the breaker which feeds the compressor.

Aldon, I think we need you to weigh in here concerning these demand/capability questions.

I'm pretty sure you have considerable knowledge and background in electricity and circuitry, so smooth over the questionable rough edges for us amateurish Reddy Kilowatt types.

I jokingly talked about a separate meter and dedicated service, but until we know what you have in the way of residential service, we're howlin' at the moon.....

Steve

1-reddy-kilowatt.jpg  c342reddy.jpg

• Like 1

Aldon

I have 200 amp service. House is about 7 years old and wiring is done right with modern materials.

Its a 4 bedroom residence, no central AC, propane stove and heat. usually only wife and I.

So only other large draw items during spring/summer/fall periods will be the electric dryer and the water pump(well) occasionally.

As has been noted I don't do well in cold. Well I don't like to work in high heat either. Most of my sand blasting and therefore high use of compressor will be early in morning until mid afternoon. Usually on Saturdays. The wife usually sleeps in a bit then takes off and does the weeks shopping.

I am comfortable that the 200 amp service will handle the load. 

If if however I find I trip the main breaker with any frequency, then I'll move forward with a separate service. If that becomes the case, I will further regulate when I utilize it against the wife's activities until a new service is installed.

I am sufficiently experienced with electrical and electronics that I am comfortable navigating forward and will adjust accordingly.

ztnoo

thumbup.gif.03d17074eb2b80663baa9185498f

Bach-Ed

In getting a compressor I have a something to add.  Most of us don't think about it but moisture, especially when sand blasting (the grit doesn't like getting wet).  I putzed (too cheap) for years without moisture separation, then I went to work in a shop with a chiller.  Wow what a difference, not cheap but Wow.  Your air tools and other things will love the dry air.  You'll never regret having clean dry air.

• Like 1

Aldon

A chiller may be something I add at a later time. Maybe next years tax returns:)

• Like 1

ztnoo

I used pneumatic air nailers on a daily basis for years in my trade of frame and trim carpentry. I used generally a 220v 4 hp unit which was permanently mounted and secured in my hi-cube van.

I ran oilers and moisture filters in line prior to distribution to tools.

Moisture filters made a huge difference in tool performance and longevity, and at very reasonable prices, I might add.

The moisture collection bowl would normally have to be emptied a couple of times a week following heavy, prolonged air usage.

Something I also discovered that helped greatly was daily "blowing the tank" and emptying any moisture which had collected and settled in the bottom of the tank during the day with a 1/4 turn ball valve installed at the drain outlet. Generally I left the valve open all night, and then closing it again in the morning on compressor start up.

The more differential in temperatures, the more exacerbated condensation becomes.....for instance running with very cold surrounding air will produce large amounts of moisture. Also higher relative humidity increases condensation production.

Here's a googled page of cheaper possibilities when it comes to filtering which might prove to be all you really need, certainly to start off with. Even doubling up on air filters would be less expensive than purchasing a chiller.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+line+filter+drier&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by ztnoo

Aldon

I have the old breaker pulled, new compressor placed and have started pulling the new 6/3 Awg wire the last quarter of the way. I have always said new construction is soooo much nicer to work on than retrofitting or remodeling. Amazing that laws of universe have not changed. It still holds true! lol 

Ordered 80 amp breaker which is due early this week. I should have this puppy ready to test fire by next weekend. 

Still need to gather some optional upgrades like filters etc..

image.thumb.jpeg.baed4487b4c65e7dc440bc5

• Like 2

squonk

Are you pulling aluminum or copper and how long a run?

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Aldon

Copper. Only 45-50 feet. But I had a heck of a time navigating it through the floor, sill and garage/kitchen wall. It's easy street from this point onward. 6/3 is stiff stuff:-)

squonk

Good. I had to deal with some old Al wire the other day. What crap!

ztnoo

squonk,

Excellent question! I was wondering that myself.

Also, I'd agree with Aldon's assertion new construction is easier than remodeling. Over 40 years work experience taught me this truth.

Building new, 99 44/100% of the time, I knew exactly what I needed in the way of tools that day.

Remodeling projects were like going to Vegas.

No matter what I had in the truck tool wise, there was a fair chance I'd have to run after something I used maybe two times a year, which I didn't cart around on a daily basis.

6/3 is tough stuff, not well adapted to sharp bends....especially in closed wall situations.

Copper rules in my book.

• Like 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Remodeling projects were like going to Vegas.

:lol:....Good one....... Yes a regular crap shoot!

Aldon

Eureka !

We have power and air!

I still need to order the regulator and filters I will eventually use but for the moment the CH stuff will suffice to test the system.

The unit is surprisingly quiet in comparison to the single stage non pressure oiled 3hp compressor I was using.

After initial fill, I blew dirt and dust out of the garage to assure it cycles correctly. It only took about 45 seconds to refill and shut off again. Granted I stopped blowing dirt and was scrambling to hit the stopwatch so I may be off a few seconds.

At this point, I am extremely happy with it. While it is suggested in the specs to use an 80 amp breaker, I ended up with a B-box as I could not source a junction box big enough for what I was trying to do. And since Box stores don't carry 80 amp breakers and I wanted to test this puppy out, I have the 80 amp breaker at the main panel and I used a 60 amp breaker at the B-box. No issues. I may leave it that way as it makes me more comfortable knowing that the 6awg run is protected to 60 amps.

I have to work tomorrow but have Tuesday off so hopefully get to do a test while sandblasting:-)

image.thumb.jpeg.42ba3159dba91ea0a1a68e5

• Like 2