wh500special

Thinking about a major downsizing. Comments please.

AlwaysLookin80

I'll come out. I'm in Indiana not that far. I'd be interested in buying multiples too. I'd be intrested in anything 1964 and older, like the 701. 

Edited by J.A.
  • Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, WHX6 said:

bring some stuff (on consignment? ?) To a show out east where all the real hoarders are??

I wasn't thinking of having Duane shell out the money and hope we buy, once each deal is done and paid for if Duane wanted to do us all a favor by bringing them to us we could make it wort his while. Win -Win.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

There has been some good discussion on this post. My:twocents-02cents: is what I been felling about my situation. When I get to old to enjoy this great hobby we have here I am selling every thing in one shot. Maybe have an auction. I think the slow method is not what I will looking for because possible medical issues and the lack of movement? I hope this all works out for you. Gary    B..

• Like 1

wh500special

Oh yes, I did get a bunch of PM's about this offering support and encouragement.  Much appreciated.  I will get back to each of you as soon as I can!

Steve

• Like 4

fireman

I too came to the realization that while it was awesome to go down in the shop and gaze at all my tractors, the practicality of it was ridiculous. If I had a large storage building like SteveBo's I would have never sold any of them. But having to do a huge shuffle every time I wanted to pull one out or do a restoration was getting to be a pain. I slowly sold them off one at time till I was down to 3. I was happy there. Then I was able to buy another RJ58 from another member. I wanted just a plain one seeing as I had modified the other I had. So now I sit at 4 and I'm really content there. I do still look around occasionally just to see what's out there. I think the bulk of them have been stripped from our try state area but I know there are some real collectable sleepers lurking out there just waiting to be discovered or sold. Now the only problem is to beat the other guys to the punch (which is real hard to do with the crew in CT!). These guys have their fingers on the pulse and are ready to go at a moments notice. But that's ok. The way things go around here the tractors usually make it into all their garages at least once and then sometimes back again :ychain::ychain::ychain:. I'm content with what I have. (For the moment!)

• Like 6

parsonsponyz

I would be interested in making the journey, if only to see new territory and talk to other members.  I realize that this is what is most enjoyable about the hobby, meeting the people and perpetuating the hobby to the novice.  I can empathize with you Steve regarding your situation, it is not something easy to do and takes a large amount of thought to reach a solution your happy with.  That is all that matters in the end, that whatever solution you arrive at, it has to be one that you are comfortable with making.  After reading the ideas posted I feel the meet and greet would be a nice resolution.  Having done the fleabay/CL or other classifieds it takes so much time which is what it sounds like is most valuable to you, that this option might not totally satisfy.  The auction to the highest bidder is fantastic to make money if that's what you're after but the baggage associated with having an auction is tremendous, after experiencing this multiple times over the years and when it's completed a majority of those involved expressing how much work is involved, wondering if this should ever be done again. (don't forget the fee's associated with this option).  Go with your heart and it will lead in the right direction.

• Like 2

TDF5G

Lots of good advice.  The auction would seem the most practical option for your situation in my opinion for quick liquidation.

Perhaps a big yard sale?  Everything marked with a price.  Advertise the sale here and other places to attract buyers.  You wouldn't have to sell everything, just what you would be comfortable with dealing with in a one day or weekend sale.   Maybe have more than one sale over time.

I'm about 4 hours away, and would consider attending myself.  

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

VinsRJ

I feel your dilemma also... I haven't thinned the herd, but have ended the hysteria to find the next RJ... If one drops in my lap then "OK" I may add it to the collection, but other than that... I'm good. 

• Like 2

formariz
12 minutes ago, VinsRJ said:

I feel your dilemma also... I haven't thinned the herd, but have ended the hysteria to find the next RJ... If one drops in my lap then "OK" I may add it to the collection, but other than that... I'm good. 

The problem that I have is indeed that. They keep dropping on my lap. Somehow people find out what you have and sure enough someone comes over a goes;Guess what I have(or found) you can have it.

• Like 4

rjg854

May I be as plagued as you are 

:ychain:

• Like 7

Lane Ranger

Steve:

None of us can take what we collected with us for ever!     You have done a tremendous job of collecting and saving the heritage of a lot of great machines and work that went in to them.  

What I call pivoting in life as a strategy requires you to rethink priorities and be willing to take the next plunge!  I will always remember you participating in the Jacksonville, Illinois Show with your dad and tractors in September 2013 ! 

I am glad our paths crossed and wish the best to you as you make all your future decisions !

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

Brrly1

Steve, how far away is O'Fallon from you??? Be headed that way Saturday!!   John

• Like 2

wh500special
9 hours ago, Brrly1 said:

Steve, how far away is O'Fallon from you??? Be headed that way Saturday!!   John

John,

It depends...I live in O'Fallon, IL, so I'm there every day.

O'Fallon, MO is on the other side of St.L.  Probably 40-50 miles.

Which one you headed to?

Unfortunately, I'm gone this weekend.  Would be great to see you.

Steve

• Like 2

Horse46

Holy cow! is that a 5th wheel or just a tow b hind? What kind of tow weight has that truck got :jaw:

• Like 1

Brrly1

Steve, I stayed in Vandalia, Illinois last night. I got to O'Fallon at 8am loaded up and headed back to T town. Maybe next time or possibly see you in Portland in May!!!

• Like 1

wh500special

Some postings about a collection for sale in Indiana reminded me that guys would probably like an update on my boondoggle.  So, I'm Digging up an old thread...

I made a little progress today.  First steps I suppose.  I'll be posting pictures soon and ads in the classifieds.  

I decided to get started on thinning the herd.  Went to mom and dad's in Alton and started pulling tractors out of the barn for photos. 

Since I'm short on time in general, I think the best approach is to try and sell things in groups of similar tractors.  Maybe knock down the hassle by a factor of three or four.  

So today the three c-195's are now freed up from the pack.  I'll try to sell them all together along with their matching pieces.  

Didn't try to start any of them....I petered away a big chunk of the day trying to get my 520lxi and c160 going after a 3+ year nap only to realize I had neglected to open the valves on the bottom of the tanks.   Opened them up and the suckers fired up in seconds...d'oh!

anyway...

Second grouping is a 300/400 series collection.  That group might also include C-series stuff.  

Tomorrow i I am going to try to extricate the18-auto and d-250 as the third group   Fourth will be two 520h's and a 520-8.  And the fifth is a pair of 953's and gt-14 (I've always thought the 963/1054 and gt14's belonged together). 

I'll list the implements that accompany each grouping as well. 

Hopefully putting them in "packages" will help me move some iron and leave some meat on the bone for a buyer to split them up, part them out, or whatever and still be financially in good shape.  And enough guys specialize in certain models and this can enhance their collection instantly.  

I'm hoping putting a few pieces together will make it a little more tolerable for guys to travel a bit.  If they don't sell in a reasonable amount of time as families, I'll start splitting them up and making widows and orphans.  

For now, I think the really old stuff like rj's and suburbans are going to stay.  I rarely come across these things in my part of the country.  

I know there isn't much interest in vertical shafts, but I have a bunch of them.  I'll probably push them out along the road with "for sale" signs on them and cross my fingers.  If somebody is interested in verts, send me a pm especially if you're after something specific. 

On the miscellaneous side, There are are things I forgot I had.  And I have a lot more parts and accessories than I realized.  For example, I have three carts.  I don't remember that happening.

I'm guessing stuff like that needs to go one at a time, but I think I can make a general list of those things and offer them up at the same time as guys come pick up tractors.

I'm hoping to combine as many things as possible to keep this practical and this also minimizes the hassle for my parents since this stuff is at their house in their shed...

The big downside is I'm not going to have time to get the bulk of this stuff running so as you see my postings keep in mind that most of this stuff has been sleeping for a long time.  That's going to mean new plugs, points, batteries, and probably a carburetor scrubbing will be needed.  I was pretty good about running them out of gas before parking them, but I know I had to miss some of them.  

I know what ran and what didn't and if they smoked or not, but I understand the uncertainty for buyers. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.  I'm not knowingly going to screw anybody.  I hate selling stuff because of the stress it causes thinking somebody might have problems and be upset.  But like I said, gotta start somewhere.  

StAy tuned!    Getting closer.  

steve. 

• Like 7

T-Mo

Steve,

I know I don't have the tractor funds now, but if you had a 753 in your herd, maybe it could find it's way west of the Mississippi.:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Makes me weak in the knees but I'm way too far away!

• Like 3

Racinbob

I know the feeling Dennis. This is the first time I saw this thread and do I ever wish I was closer. :(

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:     But, if you can fill the trailer and truck in on haul; it seems a bit closer!      :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

UncleBubs73

Here it is August and I just read your Feb. post about downsizing. I am about an hour away (DeSoto, MO) and would be interested in  attachments available and/or a new horse (to me). I like mid 70's. Only have 1 and work it all the time. I need a back-up!

• Like 1

T-Mo
7 hours ago, UncleBubs73 said:

Here it is August and I just read your Feb. post about downsizing. I am about an hour away (DeSoto, MO) and would be interested in  attachments available and/or a new horse (to me). I like mid 70's. Only have 1 and work it all the time. I need a back-up!

You're just north of me, I'm just west of Bonne Terre.  There is another guy here who is in Cadet, Jeff, member Wildside.

wh500special

I just posted the first two lots in the classifieds.  These were the 520's and the C195's. 

A comment about my pricing before you wonder where it came from...

I added up the prices I think these ought to sell for then subtracted an arbitrary amount to leave enough room for a buyer to either flip them individually or part them out.  I'd really like to sell in groups if possible and if you have a different math formula to use to establish value, I am will to entertain.

I'm not desperate to sell, but would really like to move this stuff along.  So if you have a reasonable offer...

Pickup means you also get to look through the rest of my stuff.  There might be value in that.

i didn't get as far as I planned.  i wanted to free up the 953's and GT14 but didn't get there.  Hopefully I can knock those out soon and start getting pictures of implements and attachments.

Thanks for the interest and well wishes,

Steve

• Like 2